Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

What Is Sex Like After a Total Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I'm a due for a total hysterectomy and was wondering, if anyone had a decline in there sex drive. Will I be in the mood for sex and will there be any vaginal dryness? :? :?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper doola
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2005
Community Volunteer
For me it has been no different.

I also posted in a new topic - ..
|

replied January 17th, 2013
Ovaries produce most of the testosterone that a woman needs for a healthy libido. If ovaries are removed testosterone levels will decline to a point were libido will be very low [adrenals, amongst other areas also produce testosterone but very small amounts, not enough for healthy libido] Removing the uterous, can, over time, seriously diminish blood supply to the ovaries which in turn affects their function. Libido loss is not noticed at first. Within 5-7 yrs testosterone production levels become very low much like natural menopause: were gradually after about 7 years the libido becomes very low, little drive or interest....hence popularity among those aware of products like Intrinsa Testosterone transdermal patches and slow release under the skin Testosterone pellets [which have unfortunately become unavailable as from last year] The most sympathetic and knowledgable doc ive come across, Prof John Studd, has a very informative site every woman should study.
|

replied January 17th, 2013
Ovaries produce most of the testosterone that a woman needs for a healthy libido. If ovaries are removed testosterone levels will decline to a point were libido will be very low [adrenals, amongst other areas also produce testosterone but very small amounts, not enough for healthy libido] Removing the uterous, can, over time, seriously diminish blood supply to the ovaries which in turn affects their function. Libido loss is not noticed at first. Within 5-7 yrs testosterone production levels become very low much like natural menopause: were gradually after about 7 years the libido becomes very low, little drive or interest....hence popularity among those aware of products like Intrinsa Testosterone transdermal patches and slow release under the skin Testosterone pellets [which have unfortunately become unavailable as from last year] The most sympathetic and knowledgable doc ive come across, Prof John Studd, has a very informative site every woman should study.
|

replied February 18th, 2005
I had a full one done in july of 2004. For me I think it has been better. You never have to worry about a period again. The sex is great. My drive became stronger. :d good luck
|
Users who thank emma71 for this post: THosler  minomom  Beth1964 

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2011
Hi ladies, I have just had my total hyst and am in my 3rd week of recovery, I had keyhole and must admit I am only now realising that it is still a major op, I have so many stupid questions in my head and am glad to see that some of you have the same ideas lol...I am 46 but still enjoy a healthy sex life, i am hoing I still will, i am worried as to whether it will hurt and if I will be dry,my partner is concerned that he will tear me where my inner vagina is stiched ! I am going to wait 6 weeks as advised,but have had a play with mutual masterbation which worked well, I am very encouraged by all your helpfull comments,I still have some pain and bleeding,I believe this is normal, I wish everyone well and Thank you. x
|

replied February 19th, 2005
Sex After Hysterectomy
Sex has been ruined by my hysterectomy.Unecessary tah !2-29-03 ( I had 2 polyps, acute and chronic cervicitis) not a pathology to justify a tah. I have consulted 5 doctors who refuse to tell my why I have a huge painful bulge over incision I won't evenl let hubby wee me naked.Can't cope with deformity. Alll I can find are a few cosmetic surgery sites" a common but undesirable deformity caused by pfannenstiel incision, easily fixed with liposuction." what caused this is a mystery to me, but I think maybe lack of surgical skill, retractor injury, ??? Anyone out there know?
Common? Why aren't we informed of this risk?
Second, I am experiencing horrid pain in my hip, right thigh, abdomen, incision, lower and upper back after hysterectomy. Pain mgmt dr says nerve damage caused by hysterectomy. On morphine, 3 ilioiningual nerve blocks, scar infiltration, and abdominal numbing. ($8000.00 bill, after insurance paid) I have 6 morphine pills left, but even with ins I can no longer afford to keep seeing dr, and am almost suicidal at the thought of next week with no meds. I once had a hot bod, hot hubby and hot sex. Now my marriage is on the rocks, unable to work, filing bankruptcy, etc. My life has been ruined by hysterectomy. My advice is to avoid hysterectomy if possible, if not, avoid abdominal. The pain is 100x greater, 2-3 months recovery, and usually not necessary. Sorry
if i've scared you, but I think you deserve to be as informed as possible. Spellcheck is not working so please excuse mispells.
Good luck
msmnlv
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Very Lil Change
I under went a tah 6 weeks ago and my sex drive is still the same if not stronger. I use to be multi orgasmatic but I noticed that since the tah I find it difficult to orgasm at all. Hopefully this problem will resolve its self once I am completely healed.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Make sure you are 100% and have covered all avenues before commiting to a hysterectomy. It is major surgury, there is a recovery period of at least 6-8 weeks possibly more and you can never go back.

If you don't 100% trust your doctor get a second opinion.

Write down any questions you may want to ask before you go for an appt - it's all too easy to forget what you wanted to say while you are there. Also you can jot down the answers next to your questions so you can review it later.

Endo can be present in any of the pelvic region and is not always 100% removed by a hysterectomy. It would be likely that if you had a hyst it would be a total (including ovaries and cervix) as endo can grow on these too.

As I said be sure to discuss the situation with the doctor fully make sure you trust him and if not get a second opinion.

Don't worry about questioning them, a good doctor will give you an answer you can understand - ie not in "doctor speak"
|

replied May 17th, 2005
Sex After Hysterectomy
I had a lavh a month ago. The ovaries & cervix was removed. I have not had sex. Just wanted to know when can I have sex and will the drive be more or very less.

I also find some light brown or white discharge.
|

replied June 20th, 2005
Re: What Is Sex Like After a Total Hysterectomy
doola wrote:
i'm a due for a total hysterectomy and was wondering, if anyone had a decline in there sex drive. Will I be in the mood for sex and will there be any vaginal dryness? :? :?

yes there has been a change but the cream at longs help that called hrt
|

replied August 27th, 2005
Sexual Dysfuntion Since My Hysto
I'm a 33 yr old female who had a hysto 4 yrs ago, after the hysto I had sexual activity, but slowly it has went away, I have taken hormone replacements but nothing seems 2 work anyone have any other suggestions? Very concerned here.
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
I was 29, just had a baby and had to have a total hystorectomy, because my son pulled out my uteris, when I gave birth to him.
Was there a change in sex drive, etc for me ? No way ! I came home and wanted it just days after coming home. Insisted that I get it and we did forplay. I was curious to see if it still worked and it did. I've not stopped since then !
No period ! No pregnancies ! Nothing between me and him, but air !
But it's different for everyone. Sex is an emotional thing and in the mind as well. Think about it. You can be so in the mood, get pissed and it goes right away, right? My point exactly....
|

replied May 16th, 2006
Sex After a Total Hysterectomy
I am so to have a tah and I was told I would be off of work for 6 weeks, but I want to know how soon I can start having sex with my husband, we have been married for 17 years, and we have only missed maybe a total of 3 months of sex in those years, I think 6 weeks is just to long.

Signed please help
|

replied May 17th, 2006
6 weeks is what the doctor will tell you. We did forplay within days, not inserting into inside, but still forplay and it didn't hurt.
I would think you would want to wait 3-4 weeks atleast, because if something is inserted in there, it could tear something loose and cause you to have to wait even longer, because then an infection could accure from doing that. I'd make dang sure everything was very clean, before insertion as well and that he didn't leave, ummmm you know what in there too, before he exited. It's best to be safe than sorry later, ya know.
But I don't think that outside forplay could hurt anything. It didn't me and I had to have an emergency vaginal hystorectomy, not like they do out of the belly button now a days.
Heck we never waited the 6 weeks after birth either ! I'm a freak I guess you could say and I don't like no, or to wait, so I did it as soon as I felt that it was safe and went slowly.
|

replied May 17th, 2006
'what Is Sex Like After a Total Hysterectomy'
Thanks for the reply. I just worry about making my husband wait so long, but this should be the last time he has to do this.

Thanks mel
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2013
WAIT 6 WEEKS for sure!
If he truly loves you, he will want you to do what is best for your body. I just had a TAH 6 weeks ago and we tried to start back to sex. My body is not ready yet, I experienced severe cramping and bleeding, and this is after being cleared. Don't be careless and rush your recovery. Wait until you see your doc!
|

replied May 29th, 2006
I Need to Ask a Question Its Important
I had a hysterectomy april 11, 2006 and its now may 29, 2006. Its been 48 days I had sex on may 21 and then again may 28 and after me and my boyfriend was done haveing sex I went to clean myself and there was little blood not gussing or anything its just like a spot and it happened both times after we had sex but after I clean myself there is only a spot of blood nothing more..Is it normal to have some blood after haveing sex after a hysterectomy will it heal itself in time or should I call my doctor...Please help me with this cuz I dont know if it is normal or not...But that the only time when I have some blood is after I have sex no blood any other time....Thanks
|

replied August 23rd, 2006
I am 33 I had a partial hyster in 2004 feb of this year I went through another surgery to repair my bladder remove some cyst and one ovary the doctor refused to give full hyst he said I was to young I have had nothing but pain I cant have sex because it hurts to bad besides that I have no sex drive I have bad mood swings I have pain in my hips back and thighs I cry alot my boyfriend doesnt seem to understand at first I was loosing wieght now I have gained twice as much back I feel like im not a women anymore if I do give in and have sex it hurts so bad I cry the whole time and throw up after hormone pills hasnt help I have had attitude chang like I dont care if I live or die I know im going to lose mty job because of taking time off for pain I also know I need something for depression but cant afford doctors :cry:
|

replied August 12th, 2011
Getting a total hyterectomy sounds like the only way
Sounds like me,and my pain was caused by lack of removal of cervix when all the pain was caused from the scarring from childbirth stopping my cervix from opening and closing for...anything.So now that is gone all has returned and the pain is gone.Get a second opinion and demand further investigation as to where your pain is located.If cervix doesn't comply with hormones or brain the pain can be unbearable and becomes fearful instead of pleasurable.Good luck
|

replied August 12th, 2011
Getting a total hyterectomy sounds like the only way
Sounds like me,and my pain was caused by lack of removal of cervix when all the pain was caused from the scarring from childbirth stopping my cervix from opening and closing for...anything.So now that is gone all has returned and the pain is gone.Get a second opinion and demand further investigation as to where your pain is located.If cervix doesn't comply with hormones or brain the pain can be unbearable and becomes fearful instead of pleasurable.Good luck
|

replied December 21st, 2012
Horti,
I just found out that i have a cyst on my left ovary,i have been having such terriable pain during my period and what caused me to discover the cyst was the pain it came and my period didnt cause it wasnt time for my perod.so my doctor send me to do the ultra sound and all.and i did the blood test. the dr said the blood result was a bit 2high he schedule a surgery for me to take out the left ovary and check to see if its cancer.im worried about this big step if there is nothing else he could do besides the surgery.someone answer me please.
|

replied November 13th, 2008
Total Hysterectomy at 23!
Ok, please excuse the "dumbness" of this post but I am pretty confused about the Total Hysterectomy I under went three years ago. My sex life SUCKS, I have NO to little drive for it. Cannot orgasm and I WANT ANOTHER BABY! Here is the dumb part: With a full hysterectomy is it still possible to have a surrogate carry my child with MINE and my husband's genes? Also, how do I help the sex life. I am too old to act prude! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!
|

replied November 13th, 2008
Total Hysterectomy at 23!
Ok, please excuse the "dumbness" of this post but I am pretty confused about the Total Hysterectomy I under went three years ago. My sex life SUCKS, I have NO to little drive for it. Cannot orgasm and I WANT ANOTHER BABY! Here is the dumb part: With a full hysterectomy is it still possible to have a surrogate carry my child with MINE and my husband's genes? Also, how do I help the sex life. I am too old to act prude! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!
|

replied January 30th, 2009
sex after hysterectomy
I had a complete hysterectomy in 2004. I am a single woman and finally found a wonderful man. After sex I had a lot of bleeding. Is this normal?
|

replied April 26th, 2011
I HAD MY HYSTERECTOMY IN MAY OF 2004 AND HAD NOT HAD SEX UNTIL FEBRUARY OF THIS YEAR. DIDN'T BECAUSE OF ALL THE HORRIED STORIES I HAD HEARD. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE HAD SEX ALMOST EVERYDAY SINCE THEN WITH THE SAME MAN OF COURSE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS VAGINAL DRYNESS FOUND A QUICK FIX I WAS MY ONLY STUMBLING BLOCK. LOVING LIFE AGAIN. I HAD IT WHEN I WAS THIRTY-FIVE AND NOW I'M 42
|

replied February 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
That could depend on how aggressive you were during intercourse...If he was hitting you at the top of the vagina during thrusting this could cause it.. If you had not had sex in a long time your vagina could have dried up somewhat and unless you were lubricated well you could hurt during entry...This is why a woman should always masturbate to keep herself sexually alive...If he wore a condom without enough lubrication, this could be a problem...Lubrication is very important or the friction can just plain hurt...So many things could cause some bleeding, so you kind of have to go one at a time...Even too aggressive with a sex toy can be a culprit....

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied April 17th, 2009
TAH and having great sex...
My partner just found out that I had a tah, now he believes I have been "faking it". I can assure you I am not. I am 58 years old had my tah over 10 years ago. I am truly loving sex. What can I do to inform him?
|