Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Brown/ Black Vaginal Discharge (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Four or five days ago I began to have a daily vaginal discharge of clotty brown/ black stuff. I had sex for the first time starting about two weeks ago in 7 months (with protection of course) a couple of times with a previous partner. The first discharge happened the after we slept together the second time. My period is fairly sporadic sometimes, but should be here around this time, but I think I still had a week or more to go before it would be here. It has an odd odor, though I wouldn't say it smells badly, just different. This discharge is so light that I didn't even notice it was there except that after urination I wiped and there it was, though I have spotted more that past few days. I have no idea what could be wrong and it's scaring me. Help!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DebanamuRain
|

replied February 9th, 2005
It could be a yeast but I suggest you go to the doctor to make sure everything is ok
|

replied May 21st, 2009
black thick discharge and pain in right ovarie
this is scaring me, black discharge with pain in right ovary that feels like gravel rolling around. what would cause this?
|

replied July 21st, 2012
Did you ever find out what was wrong and why you were having the pain and discharge?
|

replied August 24th, 2009
I'm only 14, i've been having blackish discharge for about a week or a bit longer, it started after my period. i've never been sexually active. will this ever go away?
|

replied August 30th, 2009
i have had this same problem its ment to be 'old' blood from ur body not flushing it out properly after a period. i would still reconmend getting checked by a doctor tho hope that is of some help Smile
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
I'm only 12 && I've got my period && today I just saww tht brown-ish black -ish stuff ughh.. && now my tummy hurtz...!!!
|

replied September 14th, 2009
browny black stuff
Hey i know that if it's after your period it can just be that last bits of your period, old blood it's browny black like it's colour suggests. it should last for about a week ish, although i know it feels like forever. I got it before but then i had my period and then 2 days after it eneded i got blacky brown stuff in my pants but it's beggining to go a little now, weird,
|

replied June 10th, 2010
same with me i'm 14 and have had my period since July of '09. it started around the time i usually get my period. It is brownish-black and very light, no pain and little normal period blood. almost 2 weeks now.
kinda worried
|

replied July 31st, 2010
Icky black spotting after LEEP...going on two years now!
When I was a teen I had a completely normal period. Two years ago I as diagnosed with HPV and underwent a LEEP. Since then I have had the icky black spotting 3-5 days before my actual period begins. Sometimes it smells kinda like bad cold cuts, sometimes not. I have had a culture run on the stuff and it came back "clean." Also had a pelvic ultrasound and tested for PID; all normal. My gyno doesn't seem concerned but didn't really have an explanation either. I recently read about this being "old" endometrial tissue that had been shed but could not escape at my last period. Since it has been happening for almost two years now I guess its "normal." Probably a results of the scar tissue from the LEEP...

Hope this helps put someone out there at ease; if anyone has anything similar I wouldn't mind hearing about it to put me at ease! Smile

~Tam
|
Users who thank t4mk4t for this post: kimsingsit 

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2012
I am 36 and I have only recently began having this type of discharge a day or two after my period. It was the above described brownish color by this last month, was more black. It ususally lasts for a day or so and then goes away. Until I read your article explaining your experience with this, I was rather concerned. being as old as I am ( wow, I actually just said that ), I thought this could be something serious. I still plan to have it checked but until I do, can sleep a little more sound. Thanks a million - Julianne
|

replied August 6th, 2010
Help meeeeeeeeeeee too!
I am getting this black discharge. I am 14 by the way. My period was 21st until 25th July. I had sex 3 days in a row.
Day1 with condom the whole time. Day 2 condom for a bit then we decided to take the condom off for 3 thrusts then put it back on. Same for day 3.
He said no 'pre cum' was there. But the next day I got the morning after pill. Nothing happened.
So now I am getting this black discharge. But I am getting pains and it's like a period I can feel it. Some times it is heavy some times it is light, this has been going on for three days.
Is it the morning after pill killing my possible child? Or is it something else?
And the last day of the intercourse we did it 'rough'
Any ideas of what it is? How to stop it. How long it will last. And why?
Thank you!!
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Sex at 14
My goodness. I know this may be scary for you. You are only 14. You are just a baby. You do not have to have sex with boys. It is dangerous. Even with a condom, you can become pregnant- ask my 19 year old daughter. She now has a baby and it is hard on her. I can not imagine how hard it will be at 14. These boys will not respect you and no boy will want to date a girl that does not respect herself enough to wait. The only 100$ way not to be pregnant or get an STD is to not have sex. period. Your body is your temple and it is a sin to have sex out of marriage. Please think about what you are doing. It is a huge decision you seem to be taking lightly, especially if you are having sex that often. I am so sad for you that you did not respect yourself enough to wait until marriage. You are a child of GOD. He loves you and he can help you be strong and save yourself for someone who will cherish you some day. Please don't give something so precious to guys who will come and go and you will not even know in a year or two. You are worth the wait. May GOD bless you and keep you strong.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
Please don't listen to 'SaveYourSelf', that wasn't a helpful post at all, just a preaching session. This is an old post, I know. But I just wanted to give you a positive insight on things. Don't let people curve your opinion with things like that down there. Get advice from a doctor. Since you're being sexually active, be safe all the time. I'm 20 years old, married, had sex with my husband before we got married and I think I am doing pretty damn good. God wouldn't have created me in such a way if he didn't want me to be this way. If he had such a problem with sanctity being violated by 'Adam & Eve' he would have killed off man-kind and started over. Get your stuff together though, don't let little boys tell you its better without a condom without being on birth control and a clean bill of health because right now your biggest worry should be STD's.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Just wanted to add my two cents. "Saveyourself" was right on the money. I am also 20, abstinent, and I am in a committed relationship and very, very happy. Sammie Rae, please don't talk about what God would and wouldn't do. You have no idea. On the other hand- what God DID do is he asked us to save sex until marriage, period. I am very glad that you and your husband have a healthy relationship (I hope) but please do not counsel a fourteen year old girl on being "safe" because there is absolutely no "safe sex" like "Saveyourself" pointed out. God created us all to love each other in the best way possible- so please do not group the rest of us in with you in your "violating sanctity" statements because not all of us have violated God's Law and I am perfectly happy waiting for my husband because I respect him too much to take what is not mine or give myself to anyone besides him. Of course I desire my boyfriend - God did create us that way, but if we did not desire each other then the wait would not be significant. That is why he created the desire, not so that we could violate his law, but so that we could realize the sacrifice we are making for each other and the GIFT that we are finally giving to each other on our wedding night.

Now for the issue presented by "please", I agree with Sammie that you ought to see a doctor concerning the discharge- hopefully by now the issue is resolved. Please remember who you are, a wonderful young lady with so much to offer a man- outside of your physical body. Make sure the boys in your life realize how much you are worth, and treat you like the lady that you are. God Bless all of you.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I don't think this is the forum for religious preaching. I respect that you have your beliefs, but not everyone shares these. I am an atheist, and believe in science, because it is something that can be PROVEN. People should not live there lives in fear because of a belief system (and religion is very much about fear). Please take your religious views somewhere else. This is a forum for people to discuss medical issues, without the fear of being judged. I also suggest your broaden your minds and re-think your faulty belief systems.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
Haha its obvious you BELIEVE in somthing. Tell me what came before the big bang theory? Science cant prove everything. And neither can the Bible. If someone wants to believe in God. Or science. Thats their free will.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
Absolutely, as I said...I respect that everyone has their beliefs. The point is, there is a time and a place to express them....and a medical forum is not the place for religious preaching.
|

replied June 20th, 2012
Did a forum about a teenager vaginal discharge really just become a religious debate? Really?!
|

replied September 19th, 2010
brown or black dischRGE
i'm getting a brown discharge in very little quantity. not enough to use a pad but disturbing. i also had a pain in the lower abdomen. i just had my periods 2 weeks back n its not due for atleast a week or two. please help.
|

replied March 20th, 2011
black/brown period
Hi, my name is patricia i am 21 years of age and i am really terifyed. For i think over a year now my period has come out black/brown and think. at first it was only spots of black/brown and then i would have a normale period but now it come out thivk black/brown the frist day of my period and then within the 2nd day i see red i am terifyed because i read that it means if i get preganet i mignt not beable to carry a baby full tearm i have not had sex and do not plain on haveing it till i get married. i deeply hope that i can get some answers
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
Best go see gyne or local gp to be on the safe side as you can get infections in your womb if your cervix don't close up properly after your period hope this helps.
|

replied May 26th, 2011
brown discharge, never had period, please help
please help mee! im 14, and havn't started my period yet. i mean, i have never had a period. yet. but i've had major gross black/brown discharge. this is bloody scary, does this mean i will never be able to have kids? will i ever start my period?
|

replied June 9th, 2011
black vaginal bleeding after colcoscopy & loop
i had an abnormal smear test and had loop excusion done on valentines day , since then i have had a period 2 weeks on and 1 off and passing clumps of black wet sand like stuff. doctors keep testing and testing my bloods and keep telling me this is low and that is low , we need to test this and that ... im fed up !! what is it is all i wanna know !
|

replied June 30th, 2011
Black and brown stuff!!:/ Never period?
hey so im 13 years old never had sex never had my period....Ive tried fingering myself and ive had a guy finger me but never sex and never period...And yet i have this black and brown stuff that everyone else is having what could it be if you have an answer please email me or even if you have a facebook]

PLEASE FAST AS POSSIBLE
p.s ive been sick with a fever....also ive drunken alch and had a biggggg hangover before all this happen and then got sick cause i didnt eat all day and soon got a fever but now im feeling better and this just started last night and i thought it was like something else so i waited till this morning and its still there:/ Someone help pleasee
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Ok I'm 15 and don't get drunk. You are 13 and getting drunk? You are going to be an alcoholic. That is so stupid are you just asking for a bad reputation? Get some help.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Ok I'm 15 and don't get drunk. You are 13 and getting drunk? You are going to be an alcoholic. That is so stupid are you just asking for a bad reputation? Get some help.
|

replied November 12th, 2011
im 15 years old and just before every period i have black discharge. their is alot of it and sometimes i have to wear a pad. also i have white/yellow discharge when im not on my period. its always kinda smelly any ideas on what to do?
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Oh god... I'm so sorry nobody has explained this to you guys.

Okay here's the deal. None of you is dying, sick or has an STD (as least that's not what the discharge says.) Period blood isn't always red or bloody like you would picture it. In the 9 years I've had them my periods have ranged from red, brown, black, thin, thick, and even a little clumpy. Blood turns brown after a while. It's nothing to worry about.

All the girls saying they haven't had a period but have had black discharge... Congrats! You've officially entered womanhood! Smile

And a bit of safety advice. Have fun, but be smart about it.

Don't drink with people you don't know, don't drink and drive, and monitor how much you're drinking so you don't black out.

If you want to have sex you know the drill. Condoms every time. No pulling out. No rhythm method. No exceptions. Use lube to avoid breakage. And ignore the dude's whining. If you give in you could have two babies on your hands... and chlamydia. lol.

Don't have sex just because someone says they love you. Words are cheap. Look for actions. Don't have sex unless you really really want to. Never let someone pressure you into it. If you're just really freaking horny and wanna get some more power to ya, but make sure you understand that sex and love are not always mutually exclusive. Know your emotions. If you think you might be opening up yourself to hurt, run in the opposite direction. That little voice in your head knows what it's talking about.

Sex can be an awesome experience or something that makes you hate yourself. I've seen both ends of the spectrum and the only time I regretted it was when I was manipulated in to it. I'd recommend waiting because younger guys won't usually last long enough for you to have any fun and are too stupid to keep their mouths shut. And older men who are interested in you are too maladjusted to attract women in their own age group. Avoid them like the plague. They've perfected their stories and hope that by telling you what you want to hear (that you're so mature for your age, etc) you'll sleep with the. This encounter with pedobear will always end in heartbreak. Trust me. Been there done that.

And Jesus freaks, I know you mean well, but berating 13 years for lifestyle choices is not a good way of showing God's love.

Anywhoozzle. Take care girls.
|
Users who thank MuffinButton for this post: aliencatlover 

replied November 22nd, 2011
I'm only 12 && I've already got my period at 11 && today as I was gettingg out of the bath I got situated && then like 3 hours lader I went 2 PeePee && I noticed tht black-ish , brown-ish color discharge it doesint smell at all... but itz a gewwy thingyy so I'm like ok?? Wht is tht....???
|

replied December 19th, 2011
Dark Black Discharge
I have never had my period before but I have had this black discharge appear twice now. There are two reasons why you can get it. First is that it may just be old blood from previous periods. Second is ovarian cysts. If you had experienced lower pelvic pains or lower back pains or even no pains at all then your cyst could have ruptured and all of the bloody fluids are exiting. I have had two ovarian cyst now and both times the black discharge has appeared. The first cyst I had I could feel really horrible back pains and lower pelvic pains. The second one I had I couldn't feel it at all. It really just depends on the size of the cyst I guess. I hope this helped and if your really worried about it then I suggest to just go to the doctor.
|

replied February 19th, 2012
i need help. please.
i am fourteen years of age and i have never had sex, though i have a boyfriend of around eight months and i have been fingered.
i have had my period since 2009 i believe and it still hasnt been normal (cycle wise) but that is the least of my concerns.
i was grounded for two weeks about a month ago. i wasnt allowed to see my boyfriend for this time. thus, when i was "released," i was fingered once again. however, during this time, he got some sort of red substance on his fingers and immediately stopped. at first we thought it was my period, but i had my period two weeks prior to that time.
we concluded that it was discharge, though im still unsure.
furthermore, i ignored it and i was fine.
a week later, he tried fingering me again. this time, he got a mixture of cum and blood, and he was convinced he "popped my cherry" which i dont even know if thats still possible..
anyway, i've been having problems 'down there.' for the past three weeks, i've had brown discharge that is sometimes smelly. its watery one day and crusty, if you will, the next.
yesterday, on my eight month anniversary with my boyfriend, i thought i got my period. i was relieved, and i thought my body would clear out and start over. my flow is usually quite heavy and lasts for about five days. however, my tampon is absorbing a blackish red thick substance and not much of it (its hard to pull the tampon out). so i think its still discharge and it smells discusting.

i've tried searching everything.. ANYTHING on the web, but nothing has helped.

so please, please. im begging anyone out there that might know anything to help me.

im nervous, alone, and afraid.

thank you
|

replied May 6th, 2012
thick dark black&brownish discharge
Hi, I had done my IUI 21april, now today is 29th day of cycle for me, but today morning thick dark brownish black discharge , before 2 days i had effected urine tract infection , what can i do?
|

replied May 11th, 2012
cyst
Okay I have had this stuff too! I had a cyst in my ovary.Its not a serious one but it screws things up for me body wise.I had irregular periods and those round flat black things.EKKKKKK!G o get checked for cyst!
|
12 >>