Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Throwing Up Blood (Page 1)

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
For about a year I have been bulimic but I stoped for a long time and in the past month I have starting throwing up again and tonite I threw up blood when I was pretty much done throwing up and I was just wondering if its somthing really serious
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper emptyalive
|

replied February 5th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
That happened to me before. I went through some tests and sonos and they didn't find anything. So, the doc said it was probably just a cut or something in my esophogus which can happen when you vomit sometimes. Idk, with your past you might want to look into it more.
|

replied February 6th, 2005
Blood
Hey, i'm also bulimic and this has happened to me a few times. Ironically, also today. What color was the blood ? What consistency was it ?

If it was light and thin, brighter red(ish) in color that probably means you have a cut in your esophogus/throat/mouth. However, if the blood was dark brownish or even black and chunky - appearing almost like coffee grounds, with a stronger metallic blood taste, it is very serious. This could mean you ruptured an internal organ or that something is seriously wrong w/ you. This could lead to death or serious complications. If that's the case get checked out immediately.

I hope it was the lighter color.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT
|

replied February 8th, 2005
Yea... Im also bullimic ans once I threw up blood (light) I got really scared and stopped. I wanted to hug mom and cry.
|

replied February 12th, 2005
Experienced User
:( blood is never a good sign. It could be that you just scratched the back of your throat with sharp food. But it could be serious, like a ruptured esophagus or throat cancer. The point is that bulimia is very bad for you! Sooner or later you will develop some serious or even fatal reaction.

Please get help so you can stop!

Recovery is possible. I was bulimic for over 10 years & I sometimes threw up 10 times a day. But now I am over it, haven't even thought about purging in years. You can do it too!
|

replied May 27th, 2005
Hi, I am 18 years old and have been bulimic for almost 2 years. Before that I was anorexic for near to a year. I recently had a scary episode where on my first binge I threw up a blood clot. It was of a darker colour, darker then when I have scratched my throat, but it was only one small clot. And it has not happened since.(about 2 episodes). Is this something that I should worry about?

I would sincerely appreciate an answer you could give me.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
my best friend of ten years is bulimic and i fear for her life every day. she told me today she threw up blood and i was so scared for her. please anyone who is bulimic, SEEK HELP before it is too late. i hope my friend is okay and i hope you all are too.
best of luck!
|

replied October 26th, 2009
hi i'm 15 years old and about a week or 2 ago i started throwing up and became bulimic. today i threw up and towards the end i noticed a little bit of red blood but withouth the flavor of it. i hope this isnt serious but if it is please tell me
|

replied October 28th, 2012
You don't become bulimic in 2 weeks. Stop this now before it's too late. Trust me. My biggest regret in life is the day I decided to stick my fingers down my throat. You deserve to be happy and healthy.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It is a serious red flag in your life if you have to ask if throwing up blood is serious. Throwing up is a sign of serious intestinal distress, inducing vomiting is a sign of a serious disorder, blood in your vomit is a sign of internal injury, perhaps not serious or perhaps fatal.

Any time there is blood in your vomit you need to see a doctor.
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2009
blood in vommit and trouble breathing
i wonder if anyone can help me. i have been sick today ( i am not bulimic ) - and there was blood present, this has never happened to me before, since this, i have trouble breathing,my chest feels quite tight, and it feel's like a burning sensation from my throat to my stomach.

i have eaten today, and have stuck to drinking water, but it feels painful when i swallow, and then when it is travelling to my stomach.

also the pain feels much worse if i lie on my back, than it does if i lay on my side. but either way, it feels i have to make more of an effort when i breathe.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
throwing up blood/bulimia
i've been throwing up blood for the past 2 days now, i am also bulimic and i have been on and off since i was 13, and i am 19 almost 20 now. it scares me, but for some reason not enough to make me want to stop throwing up. i can no longer control the urges, and EVERYTHING i eat i sneak off to the bathroom. not too long ago i stopped for a little while, and gained weight , i went from 98 pounds to 113, and when i stepped on that scale i freaked out, so now im back down to 101 pounds. anyways, the point is the blood thing, i dont know if its caused from my bulimia or something else, its the light color, and sometimes its the dark color as well. i dont want to talk to my doc about this b/c they will just hospitalize me. i cant go through that right now.
|

replied January 27th, 2010
Alright, I have a friend who trusts me, and she tells me that she throws up 3-4 times a day, and she recently threw up blood. I didn't know what to say to her, I really want to help her but she won't listen to me. She doesn't think it's a problem, she says she can stop at anytime. Every time I ask when she'll stop, she says '' when I'm skinny'' But she is already skinny. I really want and have to help her, because not many people know about it and the people who do know, her counselor, barley do anything. . .Any tips on how to help me help her would be greatly appreciated...
|

replied February 4th, 2010
puking blood, bulimic
she has to go through it on her own. just make sure you are there for her even if she says she doesnt want you to be. never criticize her for it. i am bulimic. it used to be a choice and now its not, i want to stop but i cant and i dont want to go to the hospital because my family doesnt have the money for it. worse, my moms always like when we go grocery shopping "now dont puke this thing up" or "its just gonna end up in the toilet anyhow" that hurts the most and never do that. last night i threw up alot of blood and thankfully it was light colored. i just dont know what to do anymore, i know i need help but i have no way of getting to it.
|

replied February 5th, 2010
ive never vomited blood but maybe its because i tend to have water before hand,maybe your forcing up your food with out any fluid.just my guess.please dont take that as advise on how to vomit because you are doing that already just a reason maybe why i dont bleed and you do.

oh yes sorry see a doctor about the blood it could be serious or it could be something else.

one time i thought i was bleeding when i vomited( this wasnt forced vomiting i was ill) all i saw was red stuff then i realised it was cherryade..a fizzy pop drink thats red
|

replied August 8th, 2010
I am bulimic and hate it...
I threw up blood (thankfully light-colored) for the first time last night..it scared me so badly.
If you feel like you have to throw up, I'd say throw up RIGHT after you eat-don't let the food be digested or go into your stomach so far that you have to use too much force to get it out, and so that the stomach acids don't start building up and sting/damage your throat...

Also, don't purge things that can be rough on your throat...big chunks of food (think pizza), things with alot of fiber can be difficult and painful to get out...

Be strong, guys, but don't let things get out of hand-blood can be serious and you should ask a doctor about it if it continues...
|

replied August 8th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi Fayli,

It is best if you don't throw up at all!

I suggest that everyone dealing with bulimia, with or without throwing up blood, see a doctor right away. If you are throwing up blood, it is even more urgent.
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Haha, yes, I know it would be best if I didn't do it at all. Wink

It's so hard....it's become such a habit and I hate it...if I could stop binging/comfort eating, I think I could stop this cycle...
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey Fayli,

I know it's hard. Habits are VERY hard to break.

But what you really have to do is tell a doctor.

I believe you can stop this cycle. I'm sure of it. Why not try finding comfort in other things? Everytime you feel like you need to binge/comfort eat, call a friend. Let them know what's going on, or ask them to meet up with you. Do something else that gives you comfort.

But most importantly, please please see a doctor.

Let me know how it goes! And good luck! Smile
|

replied August 11th, 2010
help please
so today i noticed a little bit of blood ... tasted very metallic...ive been a bulimic for about 8 years. im scared. but also dont know if its serious. somebody please give me some insight.
|

replied August 11th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey emyoder,

Any time you throw up blood you should pay attention. It could be serious. What was the color of the blood? Your throat may be bleeding or one of your other organs may be bleeding. The stomach acids can do that over time or frequency.

You've been bulimic 8 years? Have you seen or tried seeing a doctor about this problem?
|
12 >>