Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Skipping Birth Control

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Ok so here is the story... I have been on birth control for about 3 years and have always taken it on time, well last month, I had my period but was too lazy to get around to getting my new refill. I didn't get my refill until about 1 1/2 weeks later. During the week that I was off my pill I had unprotected sex but used the "withdrawl" method... I got nervous after that, so the following day I restarted my pill( not on the right cycle day or anything) I then took the pill for the rest of the month. About at the time (in the middle of the pack) that I should have gotten my period, I didn't, I just had cramps and other "period" signs, but now I am done my pack and still haven't gotten a period. Should I be worried that I am pregnant? Or could my non existant period at the moment be just because I was really supposed to have it 2 weeks ago and my body hasn't become used to this new cycle that I have started myself in? I def. Need advice Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 15th, 2004
Experienced User
Wow, people come on a forum for help, and they get yelled at and lectured.

Softball32, it really could be either case. You could be pregnant, or your body could just be re-adjusting to the pill. Let me ask you this- the first time you started taking the pill 3 years ago, was your period late the first month? If it was, I bet thats just happening again.

Regardless, pulling out is not an effective form of contraception because pre-cum can contain semen as well. I dont want to lecture you, but if you knowingly arent on the pill and have unprotected sex, you're taking a big risk. It only takes 3 seconds to roll a condom on..... Laughing

if I had to guess, i'd say its just your body re-adjusting, but I would buy a home pregnancy test asap! Or go see ur gyno!!

I hope I helped, and didn't just yell at or lecture you!

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions! I'm always up for talking!
|

replied August 15th, 2004
Experienced User
Sorry, I guess I just have a problem with women who worry that their pregnant when the solution to the problem to preventing pregnancy is so obvious. 1. Make sure you take the pill regularly. 2. If you use any other forms of contraception; use it consistently and not just when you remember to take it or feel like taking it. Just common sense, here people. Granted, I know that accidents can happen even if contraception is used religiously. Nothing is 100 percent fool proof. I just don't understand how and why women could come to this board asking such questions when I think they know what they are doing is high risk behavior for an unwanted pregnancy.
|

replied August 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Well, tubby once again, stop insulting people please.
Also, are you on birth control? Have you never, ever missed a pill? Have you never, ever ever, been in the heat of the moment and not realized that you hadn't yet taken your pill for that day? Or are you a man who doesn't have to worry about these things?
No one is perfect, no, not even you.
Yes, it can be aggravating sometimes when people make mistakes like this, but we are in fact only human and therefore will make mistakes.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Also there are quite a few factors that some people just do not know about. For instance, antibiotics.....Render birth control pills ineffective. Yes, most doctors and pharmacists will tell you that, but they too are only human and may forget. Also, natural supplements such as st. John's wart render birth control ineffective. And since such supplements do not have to be fda evaluated they do not have to say that on the label.
And condoms, certain lubes and such can cause a condom to break, but does it say that on the package? No.
I know a lady who was on birth control and her partner had a vysectomy. She was on an antibiotic and didn't know that it counter acted birth control and she became pregnant. Things happen! So, does that mean she was irresponsible simply because she didn't know what could happen! Was it irresponsible because the 1 in a million chance of her partner fertilizing an egg happened?
|

Experienced User
I still feel misunderstood. Notice the woman said she was "too lazy" to get around to getting her refill for birth control. That's exactly what i'm talking about! Being "too lazy" to get a refill is no excuse. Yeah, I know no one is perfect, women can forget to take the pill, but if a woman knows that she should be on it and uses laziness to get a refill as an excuse, to me that's just irresponsible. And notice that I did say that I know that no means of contraception is 100% foolproof, but everyone simply ignores that I said that. I know that if a woman takes medication along with birth control that it can render the pill ineffective. I also know that things can go wrong with condoms, etc. Etc. But when a woman does realize before she has sex that she should be using protection and just says "oh, well, what the hell! I was too lazy to take my pill or refill my prescription today, but i'll have unprotected sex anyway. Maybe there's a chance I won't get pregnant. And I won't make my man wear a condom either!"--that's just ignorant and irresponsible. I can't stress enough that carelessness and laziness to use protection is what i'm talking about. Contraceptive failure or a pill that's missed because the woman forgot to take it is excusable because no one is perfect and no contraceptive is perfect. But a woman like the one who posted on top who obviously didn't forget to take the pill but who was just too lazy to take care of business is what I am talking about when I discuss irresponsibility. And i'm sure that all of you would be taking my side if you knew a woman who got pregnant out of her own sheer laziness and irresponsibility to use contraception and she was taking out all of frustrations out on you. I've worked with women who have done that to me, and believe me I can't begin to tell you how angry it makes me when women screw up their lives and then make other people who have nothing to do with it take the brunt of their frustrations. Perhaps all of you would change your tune if you had those kinds of experiences.
|

Extremely eHealthy
You know what you really need to mature a little here. First off, unhappy people blame everyone else for their miserable lives and take their frustrations out on everyone else for various reasons, not just because of an unwanted pregnancy! If you have a problem with this coworker of yours then maybe you should do something about it and not just blame every woman in the world for it.
Once again, you are obviously a man who cannot get pregnant in the first place. I personally have to get pills every two months. I can only get two packs at a time. It may be laziness or it may be that I am tired or just do not have time to swing over that way in time. That doesn't make me a bad person nor does it make me irresponsible! It makes me human. The same goes for the original poster! We are human and no one of us is perfect! "and she doesn't make her man use a condom" well, that man should have used his head in the first place and used a condom anyway, but you seem to have no problem with that. No, it is all her fault because she didn't get her pills in time. Let's just ignore where the sperm is coming from in the first place. Her man could have had a reversable vysectomy or he could use condoms, but no, let's just blame her.
|

replied August 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Honey, a big part of being mature is taking responsibility if one knows that she doesn't want to get pregnant. I'm sorry, but being too tired or too lazy to get birth control just isn't a valid excuse. Yes, human beings do make mistakes, but that doesn't give us an excuse to be irresponsible and using the too tired, lazy, not enought time excuse is irresponsible. And honey, if I knew that I definately didn't want do get pregnant, I would make time to get my birth control pills!!!!!!!!!!! And if you are really in that much of a crunch for time, then just don't have sex until you know you are safely taking the pill and taking it correctly like you should! I don't understand you women. An unwanted pregnancy is just too big of an unwanted responsibility to have the kind of lax attitude you have. If you have sex and you know that you haven't been using the pill or contraception the way you should, then of course there is a chance you could become pregnant! But you women do it anyway knowing that you skipped, missed, were too lazy, tired, or in a crunch for time to take the pill. These things are just common sense!!! I'm not talking about forgetting to take the pill or contraception failure. I'm talking about all the incidences where women know they are doing wrong, but stupidly do it anyway! And yes, men should take the responsibility for contraception too, but the reality of it is that women have to learn that they cannot rely on the man because they don't care. They aren't the ones who get pregnant, so they figure it's up to the woman to take the responsibility. It's not right or fair, but that is simply the reality of life today. In a man's mind, if the woman doesn't want to get pregnant, it's up to her to take the responsibility. And for your information, I am a woman who had her tubes tied twenty years ago and have never gotten pregnant.
|

replied August 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Oh, okay so since men "don't care" then it is okay that they don't take responsibility and let's blame the women.
I agree with you almost fully, but like one of the other posts said it is the way you came here and just started putting people down.
You are right....If a woman doesn't want to be/get pregnant then the responsibility does fall on her shoulders. Yes, the man should wear a damn condom, but you are right for the most part they don't care etc.
I personally, have been too lazy to get my pills and started a couple days to a week late. However, I did not have sex then either. When I was sexually active I was much better at getting my pills on time. Now, I sometimes put it off because pregnancy isn't an issue, but I still shouldn't because it is bad for me.
Anyway, I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot and I am sorry if I offended you in any way.
|

replied November 2nd, 2004
Not That This Helps Your Question Any ...
But just for the record, st. John's wort (sjw) has never been proved to affect birth control pills.

The reason they suspect it might is because it did affect a treatment for hiv, and since the body metabolizes that treatment and oral contraceptives in a similar way, they decided to be on the safe side and mention that there's a possibility the two could interact.

I was on birth control and sjw for several months, and didn't get pregnant, had no spotting, nothing. I did research beforehand and was convinced it was safe, and sure enough, it was.

To boot, there hasn't been a single report out there of a pregnancy resulting specifically from the simultaneous use of birth control and sjw. Just my two cents. :d
|

replied November 5th, 2004
Experienced User
I think most of the answers here are off topic. To answer your question, I don't think preg. Is a concern at this point. You just screwed up your cycle by skipping your pills. The pills put u on a reg. Cycle, and if u miss them your body is like whoa, when do I bleed now? So wait a couple months and if it doesn't straighten out or if you have other preg. Symptoms, get a test. U can get a preg. Test at the dollar store for about $1.
|

replied June 12th, 2009
i need help too!
i have the same problem kind of. i've been on birthcontrol for about two years and i came to the end of my pack and had my period, my husband and i had to wait to get my refill until he got his paycheck because we were low on money so i was off for one week exactly and i started taking them again as soon as we got them but now i've been back on for about two or three weeks and i have been bleeding like CRAZY for a whole week and i'm not supposed to have a period for another 2 months (because i'm on seasonique and i have one period every three months)

does anyone know what may be going on with my body?
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are just a little out of balance.

Your body needs a while to regulate itself again and that may take awhile. Taking the pills on time and not missing again will help regulate faster. If after three months you aren't getting any better, talk to a doctor.

Or if its heavy bleeding that lasts longer than a week, speak with a doctor.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile