Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Throbbing/pulsating Sensations In Eye (Page 1)

I continue to have throbbing sensations in my eyes, slight twitching of lids occasionally. No high blood pressure...What is the reason for this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NCraw
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Guesses At Problem
There could be several reasons. What I suggest below is all the opinion of a layman, so if your problem persists i'd definitely recommend talking to a doctor even if it's your general practioner, family doctor, or whatnot.

I believe (but don't know) that stress /or lack of sleep can cause spastic twitching of the eyelids.

If the throbbing occurs behind the eye, or if you have a sudden "eye ache," the problem could be eyestrain. Eyestrain can be caused by keeping your eyes focussed at the same distance for long periods of time, working under bright lights or in areas of very high contrast, changing focus often, and working near predominantly blue or purple colors and lights. (the last may seem fanciful, but it's true.)

if your work has you staring at more or less the same thing all day, you may be suffering from eyestrain. Problem scenarious could include staring at a computer screen all day, working on an assembly line and having to change focus regularly, reading from notes and then addressing an audience, and so on. Your vision is controlled by muscles, and having these muscles exercise too hard or simply remained tensed in one position for too long can be tiring.

Try relaxing a few minutes of every hour, or at least allow your eyes to focus at a different distance. If you drink a lot of caffeine, try cutting down for a little while.

If relaxation and a change of habits doesn't help after a few weeks, consult a doctor. If the problem interferes with work or with driving, consult a doctor as soon as you're able.

- gary
|

replied January 26th, 2009
pulsating eye
Did you ever find out the reason? It's happening to me too.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
pulsating eye
I don't have an answer, but I have the same problem. I first noticed it after a tetanus booster almost 12 years ago. At that time it was extreme and debilitating and occurred with other symptoms such as tinnitus, joint and muscle pain and weakness, headaches. Over the months it subsided. I just noticed the problem start back a few days ago and in my right eye only. It is affecting my vision. There is no pain involved, only an annoying pulsing as if I feel the blood rushing through the eye. When I first noticed it over a decade ago my blood pressure went up to about 140/85..very high for me. I tend to be hypotensive. I felt there was a link. I have not had my blood pressure checked recently and will do that next. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi GC,

It sounds like it is the muscle in your eye contracting...spasmatic reaction...like that of knee jerk reaction to something. Call the office of your optomologist, speak with the nurse on duty and ask if there is anything that can be done....it may be a matter of it doing it for a few weeks then stopping. I think, ocassionally many have experienced this. Placing a warm cloth over the eye for a few minutes could sooth the spasm. If the condition worsens please visit your doctor.

Good Luck

Faded Rose
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Eye twitching
I've had the same thing, twitching/throbbing of the eye muscles in the left eye, not really the lid but the eye itself. Started about a month ago though I'm sure it's a normal thing that happens, just not all the time like it is now. I work in an office and stare at a computer screen all day, never had this kind of constant twitching happen before, but in the last year or so I started using the computer more at home (doing homework, programming, etc), so I think it could be strain related. Also probably general increased stress related. I do know that if I consciously relax my eyes and relax the way I'm looking at something the twitching goes away or is greatly reduced. I'll keep an "eye" on it and will go see the doc if it gets worse, otherwise will just mention it next time I see him. Also will check my blood pressure, though it's usually good.
|

replied March 7th, 2010
I have been experiencing the same thing - it is driving me nuts - my eye has been really bad lately - I usually see it off and on, now it is constant. I do have high blood pressure and they have been messing with my medication. Now it is in my whole body and my arms are killing me. I have a fast heart rate (always have), but my blood pressure is 110/70 - so it is not like it is horrible, by any means. My heart rate is still in the 98-100 range. Oh, and for years, I keep seeing this blue spot in my right eye, as well. It just flashes and goes away (it is the same eye that is throbbing). Any suggestions?
|

replied September 5th, 2010
I've had throbbing in my right eye for about 5 weeks. This also begun right after I had a tetanus booster! It's happening more frequently this week and driving me crazy.
|

replied September 14th, 2010
I found this site and so glad I did, I started having the eye spasms, throbbing, and twitching for about a week now. It is only in my left eye, I feel like it is bulging too, although I don't see it when I look into a mirror. I have been going through a lot of stress lately and waking up in the middle of the night with restless sleep. So, hopefully that is all it is, and I hope it goes away! I don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life!
|

replied October 19th, 2010
Eye problems
Ive got something really odd / annoying things going on with my eyes at the moment too.

Its been going on for a very long time now and I hate going to the doctors...but I would go if it got really bad¦.its not what I would call really bad at the moment, but I do feel it's getting worseâ¦.as with all things its always really difficult to describe whats going on....the eyes seem to vibrate / pulsate but not all the time, only it seems when I go off the computer...its also a intermittent pulsating. It also for some reason goes away completely when I have a bath or shower (whilst having the bath or shower) (unfortunately returns afterwards)

The eyes do feel quite dry it has to be said. Further problems I'm now getting are a sort of strange sensation from what feels like behind my eyes / around them...a sort of tight feeling...burning sensation...its uncomfortable (very hard to describe it) and painful...but not extremely painful.

I'll tell you a couple of things though...I spend huge amounts of time on a computer and drink a LOT of tea Ive actually been drinking nothing but tea and just after reading Gary13s post Im going to stop the tea completely and also the computer.

What I have been doing is trying to hugely reduce time on the computer (but thats really difficult because its what I do and what I love to do...so i have to move to plan B...which is 98% reduction of the computer)

There was one day where I had a whole day outside walking around a big garden...and it did seem to go away completely.

If its stress + tea + computer then hopefully can sort it out. I dont know anything about eye strain but maybe its some kind of eye strain.

Certainly the day out I had no tea, no computer and no stress.
|

replied January 24th, 2014
I am totally agree with this.

Just a month ago such spasms and twitching started in my Left eye. I thought it was because high blood pressure, but that wasn't the cause.

Like you said Stress + Tea + Computer was causing this. I work as a computer programmer and drink tea at least 3-4 times per day to keep myself awake. Also due to some new learning stuff I am not able to have enough sleep.

Well since a week I've greatly reduced the factors causing the twitching and I am glad to report that the twitching has reduced greatly.

Healthy, stress free lifestyle is a must!
|

replied October 26th, 2010
LordDowswell, I have same problem as you do. did you find a solution
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2010
Pulsating eyes
I have the same problem...both eyes begin pulsating at same time. Only lasts for a minute or two, then goes away. Have been under a lot of stress this year and am quite sure that it is what is causing it. Just had my eyes examined and didn't think to mention it to the doctor. The stress should be lessening soon and I shall see then if it goes away..
|

replied November 24th, 2010
Hi,

I have read all your very interesting comments above and can tell you i totally understand have had the same and recently DID go to the doctor. It can be caused by stress and lack of sleep apparently. I was told to change my lifestyle, relax more and sleep more and the problem should go by itself.....
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
Pulsing Eye
I'e been having fairly regular pulsing of my left eye now for a couple of months. I had thought it might be due to some medication I was taking, but when I sat down and mapped it out on a calendar it didn't follow any pattern with my medication changes. I've also been getting severe headaches. These started to be fairly freuent nearly a year ago. My mother, one of my sisters, and my daughter all get migrains, so I assume it may be related. I'm also feeling like I'm in a daze -not quite able to function as I have in the past. I also have been having some irregular heartbeats.

I had a physical a couple of weeks ago, and when I mentioned these things, the doctor ordered a cranial cat scan. I just haven't gone for it yet, out of fear, because my cousin was just diagnosed with a tumor in his brain, and my brother had a tumor removed from his brain when he was 16. (He passed away at the age of 41 from unrelated causes.) And, of course, the cardiologist is also on the list of those I should go to.

I don't know what it all might really relate to, but there are enough things going on in my life - work stress, horrendous commute, and 3 deaths in the family of my parents' generation in the last 3 months. So could it be stress? You bet! But it doesn't change the fact that I need to do the follow-ups recommended by the doctor.

By the way, I've had high blood pressure for a decade, and it is treated with Lisinopril. It does a great job. Other than when I forget to take it, the blood pressure stays down. And if I do forget to take it, when I realize it, I just go and take it. No worries about it.
|

replied February 10th, 2012
Eye Strain & Problems
Hello. I have been seemingly experiencing the same problems. When i close my eyes and orbit my eyes, it causes an undesirable pain. It doesn't hurt terribly, but it is quite annoying. I play my ps3 a lot to pass time and stay out of trouble. But I am starting to realize I need a reality check. I am a college student, so I am on the computer every now and again. I also feel like I have lost much of my coordination, as when I look around it feels as if I just woke up. My heart seems to beat irregularly, but this has been going on for quite some time. I have asked family members about my heart issue and they tell me it could just be anxiety. I'm thinking now it is just eye strain, but i do have a depressed skull fracture that I did NOT get surgery on. I should have but I had no insurance at the time. Any suggestions people?
|

replied April 24th, 2012
Does Lisinpril cause pulsing?
I now have pulsing in my right eye. I had twitching and then vitreous detachment and then floaters in that eye. Also have high blood pressure and have been under stress. After the doctor put me on Lisinopril, I noticed the pulsing. I am not sure if the pulsing came as an aftermath of the detachment although the eye doctor says no and that it is more related to blood pressure issues. Eventhough the Lisinopril takes that blood pressure down, the pulsing continues.

I had a bad cough from the Lisinopril, so they are changing my meds. I am hoping the pulsing will go away with the new meds. You mentioned Lisinopril and I always wondered if that brought on the pulsing.
|

replied July 14th, 2012
This is merely a suggestion. But sinusitis, allergies can often affect the eyes. You need to find out about those things and then ask your doctor foe a thyroid test. Hyper thyroid can cause all your symptoms AND dry eye syndrome which is a gradual drying out of the eye...
|

replied October 1st, 2011
eye pulsing
I have read all the comments and I am amazed that no one has gone to an optician. I have this pulse and I went to an eye doc yesterday. She discovered a raised pressure in side the eye. Both of them although one is pulsing. LEft again. Tomorrow I go to a bigger test to see if this has started Glaucoma. Go and have your checks folks. I am numb waiting for the result.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
i'm going to the doctor next week - same symtoms as everyone else.. pulsating behind the right eye. lots of computer work - but it happens when outside too..
|

replied October 11th, 2011
i'm going to the doctor next week - same symtoms as everyone else.. pulsating behind the right eye. lots of computer work - but it happens when outside too..
|

replied November 4th, 2011
Im 16 years old, and I am having some of the same problems you guys are having. Both my eyes frequently feel like there is a pulsating, tingling sensation. If I rub my eyes, it goes away for a little bit but then comes back. For the past few years ive also had pretty frequent headaches, but the eye thing makes things hard to function. As ive gotten older life has not felt so real either, like in a daze as stated above. Please help!
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
Im only reading these for the first time!! I had a 24 blood pressure monitor on for the day (obviously) but the day after I started getting this pulse in the eyeball, I hadnt got my eyes tested in about ten years, I do spend hours infront of a computer each day, and decided that it couldnt do any harm to go to the optician. I went down she did the ordianary eye tests and saw nothing unusual, she then asked what where the symptoms, she did all these extra test on my eyesd, okay she charged extra for them but it was for the piece of mind and to try and get to the bottom of it. There was nothing wrong with the eye the eye sockets, the blood vessels going in and around the eye. they technology used was incredible she went out of her was to help, but could see nothing out of the ordinary. Im feeling a bit of an eijet now. But the pulse is getting more frequent, when asked to describe it, it feels like a pulse and people are saying its the eyelid twiting and not to be worrying about it. But it feels like its coming from the eyeball out rather that the eyelid in!! Am I for the birds here. Does anyone know what im talking about, or have an explaination
|

replied December 12th, 2011
left eye pulsating
I feel like venting too.
working odd hours, don't know which way is up or down, poor diet, seems like good blood pressure. But I've had this left eyeball pulsating that causes my eye lid to twitch. And I'm not too worried, because at least I know now that I'm not alone. Although, I don't want to spend the rest of my days looking like a tweeker... I'll try fitness, and relaxation, and.. trying to get off this computer and read a book.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply