Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Weight Loss Or Weight Gain With Yasmin?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Anyone expericence Weight Loss or Weight Gain with Yasmin?
Weight Loss
Weight Gain
Neither
43%  43%  [ 7 ]
37%  37%  [ 6 ]
18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16
While I was doing some research, I found that some women exprienced weight loss with yasmin.

I was thinking... Birth control and weight loss?!! ...Maybe too good to be true?? ..Or maybe not?!

Give some feed back with your fitness and dieting too while on the pill.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Melziee
|

replied February 5th, 2005
Experienced User
A side effect of yasmin is that you may notice you lose weight a little bit. However, because yasmin is a diuretic, you lose water weight instead of actual body fat. And its minimal, maybe only a pound or two.
|

replied February 5th, 2005
Experienced User
A side effect of yasmin is that you may notice you lose weight a little bit. However, because yasmin is a diuretic, you lose water weight instead of actual body fat. And its minimal, maybe only a pound or two.
|

replied February 11th, 2005
Experienced User
These Pills Were Horrible
I had headaches everyday from this pill terrible.
|

replied August 15th, 2009
Many women suffer from water imbalances due to the fluctuation in hormone levels. The reason Yasmin may cause you to lose weight is that in increases the Potassium concentration in the blood which leads to a balance in the sodium level. When the sodium level is brought to normal, the water retention ceases.
|

replied November 18th, 2010
birth control and weight loss
well i have been on Yazmin for 3 months now and i have lost about 15 pound. water weight umm idk but i have sure noticed a difference on my stomach and i've gone down 2 jean sizes.i'm not dieting at all. its weird cause i love soda and since i've started i have noticed a big difference.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
Weight Gain
I've gained about 6 kilos in 7 months on yasmin. Very upsetting and it's impossible to lose. I eat like a rabbit and exercise 4-5 times a week for an hour and a half and not only am i not losing weight but I am gaining! I've decided to go off it tomorrow to see if the weight starts to fall off. Fingers crossed!
|

replied February 3rd, 2014
Hi! I faced the dame problem. Please tell me if getting off the pill helped!
|

replied August 7th, 2011
I don't exactly weigh myself with a scale, because I don't think it matters what I weight as long as I look and feel good so I cannot confirm if I have actually lost pounds of fat or water on yasmin...but I am definitely feeling thinner! I switched from Tri-sprintec after a couple months over to Yasmin and I am losing the hips and thigh thickness I gained while on Tri-sprintec! I am so excited and hope that it stays this way because I have only been on Yasmin for two weeks... I have always drank a lot of water but now I try to drink even more especially when I have caffeine or alcohol..because of the diuretic.. I Feel skinnier!!
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Whenever I was on Yaz I was at the perfect weight. I believe Yaz made me more sensitive to food. I didn't like super sweet things at all & especially could not handle any sweet alcoholic beverages. I miss birth control so much & quit because I thought I was more moody & had no sex drive, but I think I was just not attracted to my boyfriend since I am still not interested & it's been a couple years. Also I think I tried to blame my moodiness on the pill when I was depressed already. I have extremely heavy periods & much more hormonal issues so I really want to go back, but this time try Yasmin/ Ocella since it's supposed to help even more with acne. My oiliness is so bad that after an hour I look super shiny. I think taking my antidepressants & B vitamins with birth control will help tremendously this time around.
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Yes, weight loss. Worth it, no.
Yasmin caused me to have diarrhea after literally every meal--thus I weighed about 15 pounds less than I do now. As much as I love the way I looked at that weight, I would never want to deal with the stress of going out to eat and having my entire evening/vacations/etc. be dictated by my bowel movements. If you don't mind the stress of that after every meal (and being able to hardly consume anything because it will instantly upset your stomach and go right out the other end) then yes, yasmin may help you lose weight, but it isn't in a healthy way. and don't even get me started on the unhealthy mental state I was in while taking this med....I could have killed someone with my temper and mood swings! Good luck.
|

replied May 27th, 2012
Yasmin pill weight gain
I've been on Yasmin For 7 years and have gained two stone. No height difference at all- I'm naturally short. I don't eat junk food, I've been on a diet forever it feels Like. I've now reached the conclusion it's Got to be Yasmin. I guess every woman is different and no pill suits everyone. I give up. I'll try something else thanks.
|

replied May 27th, 2012
i am now going into my third month with this pill and i already lost about 20 pounds. i also got some rashes on my abdomen and back rough like peach seed, some big and some small, it was itchy but went away in a week or so, i still have a mark remaining on my abdomen. my temper and irritability is a big problem i have, also i am suffering from depression.
|

replied June 8th, 2012
I think I've been taking yasmin for about two months and I've lost ten pounds. I was worried at first that I had HIV, probably a result of google-ing my symptoms so much, but I feel relieved knowing that other people are losing weight from the pill. The weird thing is, I was taking generic versions of yasmin for awhile and I wasn't losing weight.. so maybe the weight loss has nothing to do with the pill?
|

replied July 5th, 2012
ive been on yasmin for11 months now after having my son, i have lost over 2 stone and dropped from size 14 to size 8, which is beggining to hang off me, i havnt dieted at all quite the opposite i eat like a pig!!! more than when i was pregnant its nice to have lost my baby weight but its now gone a little too far people think i dont eat and have sum kind of eating dissorder, iv even bin forced to go to the doctor and have all sorts of blood tests i am havin a chest xray on monday too.... i personally put it down to this pill. hopefully it will level off soon as this is the only form of contreception that suits me
|

replied November 20th, 2012
Hi Candy2006. yours is the most recent post so i thought i'd ask you. I'm about to go onto Yasmin. I would love to lose some of the weight i put on during my pregnancy. Have you found Yasmin to be the casue of your weight loss?
|

replied November 20th, 2012
Hi Candy2006. yours is the most recent post so i thought i'd ask you. I'm about to go onto Yasmin. I would love to lose some of the weight i put on during my pregnancy. Have you found Yasmin to be the casue of your weight loss?
|

replied March 27th, 2013
Hi,my name is francisca
Im 17 years old and engaged and its going to be my first time taking birth control pills, i was wounding its if yasmin makes you gain weight or loss weight? i really dont want to gain weight because it took me a long time to get where i am now.
I would really appreciate it its if someone can give me some answers about it.
Please and thankyou.
|

replied May 5th, 2013
Yasmin and weight loss
Hi Francisca, I was on Yasmin for six years and in the first three months of using it I lost 7kilos. Awesome! I've always struggled with my weight but I never put it back on until I came off Yasmin. No PMS, no cravings, no bloatedness or sore breasts and light regular periods. Downside-when I came off I had an incredible itchy rash that lasted months. I'm back on Yasmin since a couple of weeks. Yay!
|