Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Bleeding And Spotting 6 Months After Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I had a complete hysterectomy 6 months ago, for the last 2 weeks whenever I have sex , I either spot or bleed for a day, is this normal or should I be worried....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rdamom
|

replied April 18th, 2005
Me Too...
I am so glad to find your question posted. I too am 6 months after a partial hysterectomy, uterus and cervix removal only. After sex last night I started spotting and had light bleeding all day. It freaked me out... It was good to know someone else has had this problem. Have others?
I have had no problems since my surgery, in fact I feel better then I have in a long time. So I hope this isn't a problem.
Good luck!! :)
|

replied May 8th, 2011
I had my uterus removed in 2001, still have bleeding 2 - 3 days a month. Also after having sex I bleed and during the month I have spotting. No doctor can give me an answer.
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2005
Community Volunteer
You should check with your doctors if you experience any abnormal bleeding.
However if the cervix has been removed you may find you partner is "knocking" against the vaginal cuff.
Or you may need a silver nitrate treatment to cauterize these cells.
Or it could be something else completely.
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Pain With Bowel Movement After Hysterectomy
I am 34 and have had a hysterectomy 1wk and 1 day ago. My queistion is, has anyone ever had severe pain in the abdomen before or during a bowel movement? It is almost like going into labor and the contractions are so strong. My uteris only was removed. If anyone has had this problem or knows anything about it, please let me know. Thank u, melissa
|

replied August 30th, 2011
Yes, in my case phasyme and fiber con tablets are the best relief, my dr said it's gas along with your muscles and movements in your abdomen that contract and is still sore from surgery. Definitely take two of each of these a day. Helped me tremendously!
|

replied January 8th, 2012
Hi....wanted to reply to your question about pain with bowel movements after hysterectomy. I only had uterus and cervix removed...I had my surgery 6 wks ago and had the same pains....almost unbearable. Hard to explain, but they seem to be literally up inside the anal cavity. Sorry....but that is where I flet the pain and have no other way to describe it. It's terrible. I can tell you now though, the pains have subsided alot and I only feel a slight discomfort now. The pains seem to be going away. I am however still spotting. It is bright red blood and not light pink or orange as I was told it would be. I am assuming that this surgery is a little more serious than what we are led to believe it is. Nobody told me to take it easy. As a matter of fact, my dr told me I could do whatever I was doing before surgery. Not true....6 wks later I still cannot lift a full laundry basket without starting to bleed.
|

replied March 31st, 2012
same here...i am 6 1/2 weeks out from a full hysterectomy and i still can't lift things with out bleeding. i thought my bleeding was done and i was okay to go back doing what ever i normally did. not the case for me. i had intercourse last night for the first time after surgery and afterwards i was bleeding (and still am) and my abdomen hurts like it did after surgery. Sad
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Wow, I just had my surgery Mar. 15th 2012, and I feel great. No bleeding at all. Back at work in (2) weeks and I lift but not heavy and I am fine.
|

replied October 9th, 2013
Thank You All for your answers. I had surgery September 3,2013 after the first 6 days bleeding stopped completely. Then week and half ago started spotting. Nurse said take it easy.Well I have been trying and still bleeding small amounts of red blood. I do a lot of bending over and picking up toys, etc. Still bleeding, somedays more than others. No energy either.
|

replied January 8th, 2012
pain after hysterectomy
Hi....wanted to reply to your question about pain with bowel movements after hysterectomy. I only had uterus and cervix removed...I had my surgery 6 wks ago and had the same pains....almost unbearable. Hard to explain, but they seem to be literally up inside the anal cavity. Sorry....but that is where I flet the pain and have no other way to describe it. It's terrible. I can tell you now though, the pains have subsided alot and I only feel a slight discomfort now. The pains seem to be going away. I am however still spotting. It is bright red blood and not light pink or orange as I was told it would be. I am assuming that this surgery is a little more serious than what we are led to believe it is. Nobody told me to take it easy. As a matter of fact, my dr told me I could do whatever I was doing before surgery. Not true....6 wks later I still cannot lift a full laundry basket without starting to bleed.
|

replied April 30th, 2005
I had my hysterectomy about 8 months ago. I had a partial and vaginally was tried, but I had adhersions against my intestines. I had alot of discomfort during bowel movements and ended up resorting to fiber laxatines for assistance. That help, but I still had pain.

I am also concerned because I started spotting and I haven't had sex for a few days. Not sure what to do!

:?
|

replied June 1st, 2005
Re: Pain With Bowel Movement After Hysterectomy
I had my hysterectomy the middle of april and I am still having issues with pain before and after a bm. It is terribly uncomfortable and I kept telling the doctor and he said it was the incision being irritable from the surgery. This continues to be a problem for me 7 weeks post op and i'm still seeing him weekly to follow up for pain and bleeding.
|

replied June 11th, 2005
About the Bleeding After the Hysterectomy!
Boy did I not even before trying sex either, it would spot spot, all the time , I had to go back to my doc, 3 times before she got the hole she left to heal over again I had no sex yet this was so upseting because I had heavy periods all my life and fibroids some the hyst,was done a complete but that little part where she took the cervix would not stay closed and now its painful to have sex just a little hurts.Hope someone can use this info
|

replied June 26th, 2005
Re: Bleeding And Spotting 6 Months After Hysterectomy
I had a complete hysterectomy 5 months ago. I don't have regular sex, because I don't enjoy it anymore due to dryness, but don't have problem having orgasm. I had spotting a couple of times without any reason, was freaked out. But I see that there are too many women have this problem. And i'm not that scared anymore. Good luck to all of us. :p
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Hysterectomy
do you regret having a total hysterectomy for your dryness issue? I am schedule in 2 days for a total & not sure about leaving ovaries in.
|

replied May 7th, 2011
my hysterectomy was four years ago and was scared due to all the stories i had heard about loss of sex drive and dryness and i am happy to report that i am more active now and dryness not an issue...for me i think it was because i felt healthy for first time in many years..good luck to you and speedy recovery
|

replied May 8th, 2011
do you take any kind of hormone therapy? I had my surgery on 4/19 & did not go into surgical menopause. I am on the Vivelle dot Estrogen patch & so far, so good. my skin is dryer already. I have 3 wk. checkup on 5/13 & am still tender in that area. I do spot a bit of blood everyday or two. I will ask the doc about it to see if that is normal. Did you spot at all after?
|

replied February 29th, 2012
removal of ovaries along with hysterectomy
I say "if it's not broke don't fix it"! I had a hysterectomy for endometrial hyperplasia which was not corrected with hormonal therapy and continued to get worse..and also put me in a high-risk category for uterine cancer. My doctor suggested the ovaries be removed at the same time but I questioned this asking "am I at any greater risk for ovarian cancer than any other woman?" and he answered "No."...therefore I told him if the ovaries were healthy to leave them alone, which they were and he did. I feel great and recovered well and resumed all normal activities...I do not experience any vaginal dryness or adverse effects at all...life is good! I say keep them! Smile
|

replied June 5th, 2012
Spotting after hyster
You r lucky, my GP misdiagnosed me and I got uterine cancer.....I wasn't given hormonal therapy which they say provera would have fixed my problem. I am estrogen dominant...there is a guy Patrick holford that discusses the hormone/ estrogen prob that leads to uterine cancer . I had everything out, now waiting to see if I have to have radiation therapy. Watch your overies carefully with scans or transvaginal checkups, I was doing that as I was afraid of ovarian cancer.....I felt terrible and kept telling my GP something was wrong but she did not listen until it was too late!! Be well
|

replied July 19th, 2012
Sex after total hysterectomy with ovaries removed.
Had a total hysterectomy with ovaries removed as well. I have no problems what so ever with vaginal driness or orgazims!! Was scared to death about this being an issue. Remember most of sex starts with your mindset. Enjoying my sex life as much as ever. I have had a little bleeding after sex but this is just as someone else said when my Hubby hits my cervical cuff. Don't worry it will be just fine.
|

replied September 14th, 2012
I had total hysterectomy with ovaries removed on June 27th and I am still not ready to have sex. The area is dry and still burning. I am on the hormonal therapy and I suddenly had spotting yesterday. I dont know if the cream Premarin is giving me an adverse reaction. I called the doctor and left a message and yet no answer.
|

replied June 24th, 2012
I am 55 years old and I had a partial hysterectomy 6 month ago.I was feeling quite well till yesterday when I spotted for no reason (still do). Not only this, I do have that burning sensation reminding me east infection. Yea!!! there are a lot of us (lucky ladies) having this problem I don't feel alone. I am calling my doc tomorrow.
|

replied October 5th, 2005
Bleeding And Spotting
I am almost 4 months post-op. I had only my uterus removed. I have had spotting and cramps for the last 2 months about 25 days apart. I can't figure out what it is and the Dr. Won't tell me anything. I'd just like to know if this is a normal thing or did he screw up? I had no problems right after surgery and felt fantastic. The last 2 months have been hell! The only good thing so far is that I don't have migraines anymore.
|

replied October 10th, 2013
I am glad to hear you migraines are gone. I asked my Doctor and he said he wasn't making any promises. My surgery was 4 weeks ago.
|

replied October 30th, 2005
scaredycat42721 wrote:
i am 34 and have had a hysterectomy 1wk and 1 day ago. My queistion is, has anyone ever had severe pain in the abdomen before or during a bowel movement? It is almost like going into labor and the contractions are so strong. My uteris only was removed. If anyone has had this problem or knows anything about it, please let me know. Thank u, melissa

hi, I was just wondering if you still have the bowel pain. I am 27 and had a hysterectomy, everything out but one ovary and since the then I have had horrible pain exactly like yours. I described it to my husband as contractions also. Have you gone back to find out what it is from? If so could you let me know what it is??
Thanks,
ginger
|

Bleeding Post Op
I found out what my problem is. I am having "mini" periods. Apparently a few emdometrial cells were left where the doctor cuts at the edge of the cervix when he removes the uterus. So every month I have lght spotting just like a period only smaller. I was very upset because I was so looking forward to not having any bleeding ever again. I was told this is rare but it does happen and it just had to happen to me. They told me it may eventually stop on its own or it will stop when I go through menopause which could be another 10 years away for me. Oh well, at least I know what it is and I no longer have migraine and severe cramps. I guess I can deal with it.
|

Re: Bleeding Post Op
rdamom wrote:
i found out what my problem is. I am having "mini" periods. Apparently a few emdometrial cells were left where the doctor cuts at the edge of the cervix when he removes the uterus. So every month I have lght spotting just like a period only smaller. I was very upset because I was so looking forward to not having any bleeding ever again. I was told this is rare but it does happen and it just had to happen to me. They told me it may eventually stop on its own or it will stop when I go through menopause which could be another 10 years away for me. Oh well, at least I know what it is and I no longer have migraine and severe cramps. I guess I can deal with it.

how is the bowel pain that you were experiencing? I was wondering if it went away or if you found out what it was. I had the exact same pain. It would be like having contractions, and they are almost unbearable. I am sorry you still have a little period, but thank goodness you got rid of the severe cramps. I am only 6 weeks and 3days post surgery, and was able to have sex for the first time. I had a lot of bleeding, do you know if this is normal?? Sorry for all the questions, I am just worried.
Thanks,
ginger
|

replied August 6th, 2007
gingercardinal wrote:
scaredycat42721 wrote:
i am 34 and have had a hysterectomy 1wk and 1 day ago. My queistion is, has anyone ever had severe pain in the abdomen before or during a bowel movement? It is almost like going into labor and the contractions are so strong. My uteris only was removed. If anyone has had this problem or knows anything about it, please let me know. Thank u, melissa

hi, I was just wondering if you still have the bowel pain. I am 27 and had a hysterectomy, everything out but one ovary and since the then I have had horrible pain exactly like yours. I described it to my husband as contractions also. Have you gone back to find out what it is from? If so could you let me know what it is??

Thanks,
ginger
Hello. I'm 26 and had a partial hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, and I too am having the most painful bowel pain. I also told my husband that it felt like contractions. Maybe since we're all having it it's normal, but man I wish I knew why and how long it lasts. If you ladies find out please let me know.
Thanks, paula
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Prior to my hysterectomy (everything bar ovaries) I had daily bm's. After hysterectomy the pain was unreal. However, as time progressed and I drank more water things have settled down. I did use prescribed laxative if I went over two days as otherwise the pain would be phenomenal from everything being backed up. I learnt it just does take time after the hysterectomy to get the bowel back to normal. Never felt better apart from this problem.
|

replied December 29th, 2007
2.5 Years Post Op & Still Bleeding :(
It has now been 2.5 years since I had a partial hysterectomy (uterus only removed). I thought the bleeding would stop. I suffered from excrutiating migraines every month and heavy periods. Well, the migraines are not as bad (may have a horrible 10 day episode every other month). One doctor was disturbed to hear that I was still bleeding after having my uterus removed. She was VERY adiment that I should NOT be bleeding. So therefore, she encouraged me to go back to the doctor who performed the surgery to have him confirm and clarify that he removed the uterus and not just the fibroids. I went back to the performing doctor and he indeed said the uterus was gone (I felt kind of silly because I wanted to tell him to let me see the ultrasound screen). He said that since my cervix was still in tact, I would still have some type of bleeding. I don't know what the cervix has to with it because it's the lineing of the uterus that sheds. Like the rest of you, I was hoping that the bleeding would cease also. It definitley is not as bad as it was, nor as long. I guess I am not alone.
|

replied January 2nd, 2008
1/2 Years Since Hystectomy And Stll Bleeding
I'm 37 years old and I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site. I've been going crazy with worry, yet unable to go to the doctor out of fear that he'll tell me I'm dying. Yes, I know, head in the sand. It's been 1 1/2 years since my hystectomy (uterus and cervix) and I still have terrible PMS, cramping and light spotting all the time, and sex is out of the question because I'm as dry as the Sahara. What's causing the bleeding?!?! I finally made a doctor's appointment for next Tuesday (Jan. Cool. I'll let you know what he tells me.
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
4 Mths Ago Hysterectomy, Pain And Bleeding
I had my cervix and uterus removed. The first time I had sex it was painful with bleeding and rectal gas pain that lasted the whole day. Everytime I would bear down to expel gas I would bleed vaginally. I phoned my gyno and he said that it sounds like I should call my GI MD. I did but can't be seen until end of Jan. Had sex again and same thing. I made my gyno see me and he said I was torn and gave me an antibiotic cream and to refrain from sex for 4wks and to see him again. I'm so worried I may have vaginal/rectal prolapse or something..Please keep posting your findings and I will update end of Jan..So glad to find this cite..Txs
|

replied January 5th, 2008
Ouch=(
Hi, I'm only 19 years od and am about a month and a half post op from a hysterectomy. It was part of my treatment for cervical cancer. I've had pretty bad pain the entire time post op. But today I was shovelling snow and it just started going crazy. I'm used to the pain(having cervical cancer for over a year and have had many abdominal surgerys) but this is different. I also started bleeding. I haven't bled since a week or so after the surgery. It's quite a bit of blood, but not anything out of hand. It's enough to need a pad. I don't technically know what a contraction feels like, but that sounds right. It feels like it just contracts into horribe pain that has caused me to drop onto the ground in tears...

I was a lot more worried than I am now, seeing as though quite a few of you have the same basic deal going on.

Is there anything any of you have done for this pain to help?
I hope I don't need to go to the hospital but nothin has felt this horrific...
|

replied January 24th, 2008
4mths Hysterectomy..f/u from MD
Went to see my gyno (I was so worried) and the exam was not as painful as it was 4 wks ago. He said I was healing but still need to refrain from intercourse and to use antibiotic cream 2 more times. No sex for another month!! I asked him why so painful and he explained that he sewed up my vaginal tube and he is hitting the sutures. Said to be patient but that I am still healing. He denied that I had rectocele or cystocele but I still have constipation. I see my Gastro MD next wk so hopefully that will be resolved. My gyno suggested a vaginal dialator which I just purchased to help vagina stay loose. He said that the vaginal wall will continue to shrink if not used so I thought I would help this along, although penetration was not the issue. It was the deep thrust that killed me. But just need to be patient I guess and hopefully things will be back to normal or better hopefully since no more fibroids. Good luck to you all...
|

replied January 31st, 2008
bleeding after hysterectomy
Hello, I have been reading all the the entries here and have to say I am relieved that this seems to happen more than you would think. I had a full hysterectomy over 7 months ago including both ovaries, uterous and Cervix. There are times when I bleed after sex and sometimes I don't. I also will start bleeding out of nowhere. Very scary. I have gone to my Dr. 3 times for the bleeding. They do very thourough checkups even poke around in there with one of those long Qtips and have even done a follow-up cat scan to make sure everything was gone. They see nothing. There is no explanation as to why I am bleeding. One thing my Dr. did tell me about the bleeding AFTER SEX is that after a hysterectomy, we tend to be a little dryer in there and what happens is that the friction from the thrusts irritates the lining of the vagina and can cause a tiny tear in the top layer. The scary thing for me is what happens to make me bleed when I haven't had sex. I have nothing there, I have no cervix for anything to come thru. But yet, I still bleed. It has happened 4 times since my surgery where I bleed even when I haven't had sex. It just happened again yesterday and I'm still bleeding enough to need a pad. Has anyone heard of this? I'm going to make another appointment with my dr. but I'm sure they are going to tell me the same thing. As for pain, I have a little pain if he hits the end of the vagina too hard, but other than that I'm fine. I do have a lot of pain and cramping from the incision because I have a lot of scare tissue from 2 C-sections and they cut me in the same spot for the hysterectomy. Scare tissue can be very painful and it will never go away.
|
Users who thank sjl967 for this post: jnngrv 

replied January 31st, 2008
why would you bleed?
I'm sorry that you can't seem to find any ans to your bleeding? Could you be straining somehow? Lifting something heavy, straining to have BM? I guess tissues must be very sensitive and can tear easily. Post once you find out and I hope you find some peace of mind, good luck.
|