Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Swelling On Day After Wisdom Tooth Removal (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hi everyone,

i had all my 4 wisdom tooth removed yesterday. Today, I have big swelling on one side of my face. My face looks really weird in the mirror and I cant even eat anything. Is this normal? I would feel lot better if someone can answer this as I am very worried.

Thanks

neo
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper amartin24
|

replied January 27th, 2005
Experienced User
Yes, it is completely normal.. It varies from person to person as to how much swelling you will get and where the swelling is (once side versus both sides). This is due to the force the dentist has to use to get the teeth out... I would make sure you ice it regularly.. It will take a few days to come down.
|

replied January 28th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yes,wakko is right.Did your doc put you on some medications as well as keeping ice on the area??Swelling is normal in wisdom tooth removal,especially if your teeth are impacted in bone.The swelling is a normal response to trauma of having the teeth out.Keep ice on 20 min-off 20 min for the first 48 hours and that should help.If you are swelling even more after 72 hrs-call the doc asap!Good luck!
Patty
|

replied January 30th, 2005
Thanks guys for the info. The swelling is gone now and it has been about 5 days since the surgery. I applied the ice packs and it worked really great. However, I feel some pain on right side of my face and it makes it difficult to eat anything or open my mouth wide out. I think it might be muscle spasms but, I am not sure. When I touch the area where the pain occurs, I feel the skin is hard.

Did anyone have this kind of pain after the swelling went down and how long does it last? The doc prescribed penicillin and percogesic so I have been taking that since the surgery. Cant stand this pain for very long. Would appreciate if someone can share their experience. Thx in advance
|

replied February 9th, 2005
Hi, everybody,
the swelling aftter surgery is normal. Usually it will be increase in the first three days, and after this period, the swelling will be decrease and gone.
So, don't worry about that. It is normal.
|

Socket Healing
Hey everyone,

today it has been 2 weeks since surgery. Swelling is all gone and pain is diminishing. However, I feel my ears a little painful when I go to sleep and the doctor said it will take about 2 more weeks before socket is healed. Is this normal process for healing? I am little worried becuz the doctor keeps telling me every week that socket will heal in another week or so.

Thanks
|

Experienced User
I didn't have any problems with mine.. But like any other joint if there is trauma to the tendons (which is what is causing the pain.. Since your doc probably had to pull on your jaw which can cause a strain) it can take awhile for that to heal. Like if you strain a knee or your wrist, it sometimes takes over a month or so to fully heal. Sounds like you are going in the right direction and I am glad you are feeling better!!
|

replied February 12th, 2005
Bad Smell In Mouth
Thanks for the reply. The pain has gone down considerably which is a good sign. However, recently I have noticed that my mouth has a bad smell. It smells like food particles stuck inside. I have tried warm salt water rinse every day and I brush my teeth twice a day but, I still notice bad smell. Does anyone know how to get rid of this smell? Thanks in advance
|

replied November 5th, 2009
swolen cheek
oh emmm geeeee this hurts nd its very uncomfortable!! my dentist used excess amount of force to pull on one of my wisdoms and I feel like its gonna take a while to heal ughh. im supposed to get all 4 out, and i already had 2 pulled, how long should i wait to get the 0ther 2 extracted, according to your own experiences??? thank u guys.. cara de tomate
|

replied December 30th, 2009
i just got all four of my wisdom teeth out at once. it hurts beyond belief but im happy i had them all taken out at once...going through this twice wouldnt be fun! i've been rotating ice constantly and still look like a giant chipmunk! the pain is getting better but it still hurts! anyone know how to make the swelling go down?
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
wisdom teeth
I just got two wisdom teeth out yesterday, I only had 2. So it wasnt that bad, i have a little swelling on my bottom left of my face but other than that i feel fine. I even wnet out partying last night, but took it easy. I''ve heard so many stories of how bad it was going to be and i feel lucky that I got off so easily
|

replied May 21st, 2010
Wisdom Teeth
I just got all 4 out yesterday, they were growing in sideways, and now my cheeks and puffy beyond belief, which sounds like everyone who has gone through it knows what im talking about. One side is worse then they other which was becuase they had to use extra force to get one of the teeth out. My cheeks feel really hard and like they have lots of pressure on them constantly, I am iceing them every 20 min which seems to be working, But everything i have read on this site i can completey relate to right now. Also my left eye was swollen shut when i woke up because they couldnt get the breathing tube down my nose easily, but that cleared up within a couple hours.
|

replied May 25th, 2010
Swelling?
I just got all 4 out yesterday as well. I can barely open my mouth and have only been eating foods in liquids. How long until the swelling is gone? I've been icing for 10 min on and off but the swelling seems to be getting worse. I just want to go have fun with friends but am not quite ready with these huge chipmunk cheeks I got.
|

replied May 25th, 2010
The Swelling is completey normal, your going to swell for about 3 days. The third day your face is going to look huge, and its terrible, but the fourth day it will start to go down, Just keep icing it every 20 min for 10-20 min. And dont worry if you find stitches coming out after the second day, mine did the same thing, just dont play with them.I had 6 in total, iv got one more left. I started to get bruising on my face on the 3rd or 4th day, Drink pineapple juice, it takes it away in no time. Also another thing i have recently noticed with my recovery is small white things on the back of my throat which are really painful, I went to the hospital today and said its something called Thresh, a fungal type infection you can get from the anitbiotics that you are taking for your wisdom teeth.

Hope this helped a bit, if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask Smile and goodluck on your recovery.
|

replied May 26th, 2010
Swelling
Thanks I hope this works. Is it normal for all 4 teeth to still be experiencing some bleeding? Also, does it help if I try exercising my mouth muscles or will that make the swelling worse?
|

replied May 26th, 2010
if its only minor bleeding its normal, when u go to brush your teeth it will probably bleed a little too. But if it starts really bad you should go get it checked. And i used the muscles as little as possible, they will work again in time. Its now my 6th day after getting mine out and all my stitches are out, and im back to eating almost normally. and swelling is all gone.But the bleeding is common sense on what you think is ok.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Wow thanks. it is now day 4 for me and my cheeks are still quite huge. still rinsing with salt water and icing and heating packs as much as possible. Tried the pineapple juice and no bruising! although my cheeks feel very stiff like the blood is not moving. oh well hope the swelling goes down soon
|

replied May 27th, 2010
glad that all helped! and the swelling will be gone before you know it.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Had all four out yesterday, today horrid. Can't have the anti inflammatory pills I found out, because vomiting and now can't eat anything. Right side worse that left, hardly used ice on the left and fine, right is huge! Stiching on inside of gum so must have been a bit more difficult to get that one out. So glad to have four done, would not want to do this twice. My brother needs similar so I think i am putting him off...lol... but that is just me, i react to a lot of things. Just having panadol at the mo. So not too bad I don't think. Can't wait for swelling to go!Forums are great!
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Ive had my jaw broken when i was 14 ever since then ive had a hard time fully opening my mouth such as yawning and what not it cracks halfway.. Im 19 now and just had my wisdom teeth pulled on the right side those where the only ones thank god, my face swelled pretty bad but im eating milkshakes...works out great little pain atm... My main problem is opening my mouth... im exremly scared to open it as before the operation it would crack halfway scared it might break again. What should i do?
|