Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Ovulation Question

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
How long does ovulation last?
I had my last period starting on january 4 or 5 and I had intercourse on the 15th and 22nd. We used a condom both times but the second time something weird happened (see other post) and im a bit worried.
Was I ovulating during the first or second time we had sex? My cycles are usually normal 28 days.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 26th, 2005
That link only had information on by ovulation kits. Was there suppose to be an article?
|

You ovulate two weeks after your period which means you were probably ovulating around the 17th. A few days before you ovulate is when your most fertile so I would probably be closer to the 15th if you did conceive.
|

You ovulate two weeks after your period which means you were probably ovulating around the 17th. A few days before you ovulate is when your most fertile so I would probably be closer to the 15th if you did conceive.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
scaredneedhelp wrote:
that link only had information on by ovulation kits. Was there suppose to be an article?

Good luck hun
|

Thanks that makes me feel better! So on the 22nd it would have been more difficult for me to conceive because I wasnt ovulating?
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
What is ovulation?
Ovulation is the release of an egg from ovaries.

The highest possibility for a woman to become pregnant are the few days before and after ovulation.

The female body makes a substance called luteinizing hormone (lh) that triggers the release of the egg.

During most of your menstrual cycle, your body manufactures small amounts of lh. But around the middle of your cycle, your body suddenly increases the amount of the lh for a few days. This sudden increase is called the "lh surge", and it usually causes the female body to ovulate.

Ovulation usually take place within 40 hours after the lh surge begins. You may not have an lh surge or might not ovulate every menstrual cycle. Even if your menstrual bleeding begins on time, that does not necessarily mean that your body has ovulated.

After ovulation, the amount of lh in your body will return to normal level within 2 days. Unless pregnancy occurs, the cycle of increase and decrease of lh will repeat again after your menstrual period ends.

Ovulation chart

first you must determine your usual cycle length. To do this, count the number of days from the day your last period (menstrual bleeding) started up to the day before you period begins. For example, if your last period started on the 1st day of the month and your next period starts on the 31st, your cycle length is 30 days.

Find your usual menstrual cycle length on the left side of the when to start chart. Look across to find the number of days to count ahead from the first day of your period. This will be the day you begin testing.

If your menstrual cycle varies occasionally, use the average of your last 4 cycles when reading the when to start chart. If you are unsure about your usual cycle length, use your shortest cycle length from your past 4 cycles when reading the when to start chart.

When to start chart
if your menstrual cycle length is this many days long count ahead this many days from the first day of your period if your menstrual cycle length is this many days long count ahead this many days from the first day of your period
21 5 31 14
22 5 32 15
23 6 33 16
24 7 34 17
25 8 35 18
26 9 36 19
27 10 37 20
28 11 38 21
29 12 39 22
30 13 40 23

example: "my regular menstrual cycle is 28 days and the first day of my last period started on the 2nd of this month. According to the "when to start chart", I should begin testing my urine for an lh surge on the 11th day of my cycle. The 11th day of my cycle this month is the 12th. This means I should begin testing my urine on the 12th of this month."
sunday monday tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday
1 2 (day 1) 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
|