Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Getting Sleepy After Eating (Page 1)

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
This happens to me almost daily.
After I have ate lunch within 45-60 minutes I get very sleepy and tired.
Yesterday for lunch I had a small salad with cottage cheese and tuna.
Today , it was a small salad and two slices of cheese pizza. Both days I get extremely sleepy. So I have to get up and do some type of work and then I am ok until the ride home, about 1/2 into the ride I doze off. Fortunately, I car pool and my buddy drives home.
I would love any suggestions at all.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bluspnis6f2
|

replied August 12th, 2004
Sleepy After Lunch
I don't know what sort of diet you are on, but I find that if I reduce the number of calories that I take in, the less likely I am to be tired after lunch. From the looks of it, 2 slices of pizza ( 2 x 370 cal ) and a small salad ( 250 cal possible underestimate) is about half of total number of calories for a 2000 calorie per day side-of-the-cereal-box diet. Also, fatty foods (such as the cheese on the pizza and the oil in the salad dressing) tend to make me tired. I try to keep the number of calories at lunch to be under 700 cal (about 1/3 of the daily total or less) and I am fine. (if still hungry after the reduced-cal lunch, then a can of sugar-free club soda & I find that I am no longer hungry.) if I eat more than this and I get tired, there is always a possibility for a small mid-afternoon cup of coffee.
|

replied August 18th, 2004
Experienced User
Im Hungry But Dont Want to Be Tired.
When you eat, the food realaxes your body. Thats why you are tired.So take a nap.Zzzzzzzz.
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
Soy or yeast allergy
you are having allergy sensitivities to what you are eating perhaps? Tuna has soy oil I presume. Pizza has yeast. Does this happen with biscuits and crackers to? Keep a food journal of what symptoms you have to what foods you eat( that are bothersome) and narrow it down.
|

replied March 20th, 2009
Try
eating more carbs, and make them clean. 100% whole wheat and not any white starchy ones. That means no unbleached and bleached flours! Try eating a seasoned grilled chicken breast with some greens and tomatoes on two toasted pieces of 100% whole wheat bread with a multivitamin after your meal. Take out the fats as they make your bloodflow slower and avoid processed flour (like in the pizza you ate) as those cause an insulin spike which will cause you to feel tired.
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Your symptoms are typical of glucose intolerance.

Do you suffer from PMS or/and sweet cravings sometimes?

Tuna and cottage cheese plus salad--there are no carbs here apart from very little in veg...shortage of carbs leads to tiredness.

Consumption of too many simple sugars leads to the same symptoms.

Introduce complex carbs-wholemeal bread,pulses/lentils(cooked,not canned),buckwheat,brown rice,wholegrain pasta and always add protein to complex carbs.Green leafy veg are also of benefit in your case-contain magnesium,some plant protein and filling.

You need a balanced nutritional programme that will provide you with the right ratio of carbs/protein/fat.

|

replied May 19th, 2009
Try acai
I used to have the same problem in the morning when driving to work, and then the drag after eating lunch. I did research online and tried some things... the best thing that helped me was that I began making acai puree smoothies in the morning everyday. Because of acai's very high antioxidant level, it keeps you very attentive, but not with a huge drop like coffee would give you.

|

replied March 7th, 2012
it's just the carbs
i doubt it's the acai. any fruit smoothie would do that because of the high carbs .
|

replied November 6th, 2009
Try eating hot foods - eating salad could be your problem!
Eating salad could also be the problem. I've recently discovered that although you think your eating healthily, it could be the healthy food thats the cause of the problem. The body can require more energy to digest cold foods such as salad. I have this same problem and for me I found switching to eating a hot meal at lunch, normally just some soup, I was able to both loose weight and had energy. Essentially with cold foods the body needs to heat them up to break them down into the necessary proteins. Providing readily digestible hot food means the body doesn't need as much energy to extract the nutrients.

Try eating hot foods instead.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
It's pretty clear that you have a double whammy going here with your lunch. When you eat bread of ANY kind the blood sugar rises dramatically and that makes you tired. Add fats. which are already a fairly tough food for the stomach to breakdown and you get high carbs (bread) high fat (cheese). I am a diabetic and can spot one for miles away. My guess is that you either are or will be if you continue on your present diet. I bet you also get sleepy when you eat rice, potatoes, deserts Chinese food, and any kind of processed sugary foods. You should really check your blood sugar and consult with a doctor. Best wishes Larry
|

replied May 20th, 2010
Normal blood sugars are ?Why am I sleepy ?
If I get sleepy after eatting raw tomatoes and whole wheat crackers(few)and I mean very tired, what should my blood sugar be ? I know norm is between 90-110 ? So what will the numbers be when I'm sleepy ? I have blood sugar issues, if I get ill I experience high blood sugars.
|

replied August 23rd, 2010
Sleeply After EATING
sleeply after eating me too but i found out if you look at what you are eating that is the key i can not eat cottage cheese it makes me sleeply or sour cream even in small amounts so look at what you are eating i have to stay with veggies and meat also the book Carbohydrate addict's help me i found it at a yard sale for 50 cent and it has help me i dont want to fell sleeplt after i eat i also stop using sugar of any time that help too
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
It's probably due to lack of sleep. You probably spending too much time on-line during the night.
|

replied July 3rd, 2011
Both your examples include bread. Are you possibly Gluten intolerant. I have similar symptom and am B12 deficient and require jabs. Now, after months of sorting through food items that cause me problems, I came upon celiac disease and gluten intolerance. I do not get the severe symptoms of someone with a Gluten Allergy. I had started fasting at lunch just so I get some work done in the afternoon. I sleep in the car pool on the way home too. I'm now trying to go completely gluten free and so far it is working.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
I just had this for the first time and I'm scared. My situation is extremely complicated. I have anorexia nervosa. A few months ago I nearly died of starvation. I was hospitalized and am okay now. Recently started bingeing real bad and I do not throw up. I fast and restrict to control my weight. My weigh goes up and down. My mood has gone down, down, down. I sleep two or three hours a night and that's about it. Last night I slept eight hours for some reason. Yesterday I cried uncontrollably in therapy. Last night--a colossal binge. Today, again, cried uncontrollably, and suddenly had the urge to eat broccoli. I did. And then, the crying stopped and I couldn't believe what happened. I became sedated beyond belief. I lay down for about ten minutes and was really scared. I took my blood pressure and everything's normal. I'm not messing around with this. I'm going to call my doctor.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
I just spoke with my doctor and she doesn't think it was the broccoli that caused it. She said it could be a number of things and that my system is way out of whack. I guess when you have anorexia it's out of whack anyway. I feel really crappy. Thanks for listening.
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Around lunch time, our bodies naturally experience a dip in energy. My local doctor, Dr. Julie Chen of Making Healthy EZ, suggests "H.O.P." which stands for hydrate, oolong or green tea, and protein.

H (hydrate): If our bodies are dehydrated we tend to have less energy and we will feel more sluggish

O (oolong or green tea): a natural type of caffeine that provides our bodies with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids

P (protein): a carbohydrate-heavy lunch can, and most likely will, cause an energy drop. So eat protein-heavy foods, such as legumes and soy, to avoid this!

Achieve energy the healthy way!
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2011
Here are two easy things to try that work for me:

* Try to drink at least around 8 glasses of water in a day If your body lacks water your heart will work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to your cells, your organs will be exhausted and so will you.

* Take a small nap every day. As little as 30 minutes of rest can have a great benefit to your wakefulness and overall sense of well being. Unlike North America, many countries around the world have napping as a very common practice.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
Extremely tired after eating
I have the same problem. When I get eat I am so tired I can't keep my eyes open. This is absolutely not the kind of tired one gets from a high carb meal-it's like I must sleep now!) I seem to have this problem in conjunction with digestive problems. I have had "irritable bowel" since I was a teen. It has fgotten pretty chronic now. I get lots of acid reflux and diarrhea. Tums and Immodium everyday helps ESP the tums ease the tiredness. I have a hard time avoiding coffee so hat is part of the problem. I am very interested in hearing other peoples' experiences and any info about causes and solutions. I really want to get this under control!

PS I have been to gastroenterologists for many years and am negative for celiac. Although I am not officially lactose intolerant (negative on breath test!) I do have digestive problems from milk and other dairy products, so I avoid most of them except yogurt and some cheeses.
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Re: Getting Sleepy After Eating
This happened to me my whole life. I was always tired after eating, had difficulty staying awake while driving and occasionally I had trouble focussing and was mentally checked out (as if I were on autopilot). I FINALLY figured out that I have an allergic reaction to caseins in milk & all dairy by-products. It is difficult to figure out, as dairy products stay in your system anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks. Most of the things you ate...Ranch, cottage cheese, pizza and even some tunas all contain dairy. Taking dairy out of your diet is REALLY hard. It took me a few years to get to this point of avoiding everything, but butter. Try cutting out dairy as much as you can for about 2 weeks. It has CHANGED my entire life!!
|

replied February 14th, 2012
oyx and CO2 levels
Getting sleepy after eating and even falling asleep after meals are frequent signs of this biochemical shock. This effect of being sleepy after eating meals is much stronger after eating junk food and especially overeating (see the second half of this page for more info about this effect). We start to generate free radicals which cause oxidative stress or damage to the cells, when the body oxygen levels drop
|

replied May 18th, 2012
No, there is anything wrong with you, this is totally normal that you feel sleepy after eating. This happens to everyone, have you talked about it with someone else? If you ask someone, they will tell you they also feel like sleeping after their meals. This happens because when you eat all the blood float right to your stomach in order to digest the food you have eaten, thus you have no will and mood for anything else, you just feel lazy and doing nothing. This is why it is healthy to have a rest after heavy meals so that your stomach can do its job properly. You just don’t worry about your sleepiness, it lasts only until you have digested the food you have eaten.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply