Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Squiggly Lines (Page 1)

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
I've been having these squiggly lines show up in my vision sometimes for a few years. It'll come from like the top left and then come down and straigten up and down in the center and eventually get smaller. Sometimes I have a headache afterwards and sometimes I dont. Sometimes I won't have them for months and then sometimes i'll have them a few dayz in a row. I'm gettin quite worried about it, does anybody have any clue what might be causing this
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper allisondb
|

replied January 30th, 2005
What you are describing sounds like an ocular manifestation of migraine headaches - called an aura. This has the appearance you are describing and may or may not be accompanied by a headache. Ibuprofin may help with this.
If you have not had your eyes examined for this condition I suggest that you do to rule out a problem with your retina.
|

replied December 18th, 2013
I've had this problem since I was about 10 years old (I'm 74 now.)
It always lasts just about 20 minutes.
Many years ago an ophthalmologist told me it was 'migraines without the pain.' He also said that it was small blood vessels breaking, but I don't think that would affect both eyes identically.
Very annoying.
Does anyone know the cause or prevention?
|

replied March 13th, 2005
Re: Squiggly Lines
natalo18 wrote:
i've been having these squiggly lines show up in my vision sometimes for a few years. It'll come from like the top left and then come down and straigten up and down in the center and eventually get smaller. Sometimes I have a headache afterwards and sometimes I dont. Sometimes I won't have them for months and then sometimes i'll have them a few dayz in a row. I'm gettin quite worried about it, does anybody have any clue what might be causing this

i have had similar symptoms. You should get a glaucoma workup. It sounds as though you may already have nerve damage.
|

replied March 16th, 2005
I disagree. Glaucoma does not have this type of presentation. I still feel it is an aura due to migraine. You have described the textbook presentation of it.
However, I would still recommend you have the back of your eye looked at to rule out any retinal problems (such as a tear or hole).
But I do feel strongly that it is related to your migraines.
Hope this will ease any worry that may have just been caused :d
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
This post was very helpful today when this occurred for the first time. Started in right eye first with white spots in my vision so I couldn't read and a reverse C of squiggly lines around the periphery of my eye and then cleared about 30" later. Called the eye doc and they concurred since it cleared up it is not retinal. Then it occurred in my left eye the same way so I definitely knew it was the retina detaching. Googled and found this posting which gave me new insight and great sigh of relief.
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
Thank you sooooo much!!!!
|

replied September 30th, 2008
I have the exact same thing you do. I have seen a doctor about it back when it started about 6 years ago. It scared the crap out of me at first. When I seen my family doctor he told me it was migraines and sent me to a nuerologist to confirm the diagnosis.

I'm pretty sure you're getting migraines.. They're a pain in the butt. I would go to a doctor to be sure though, and get some medication to help you with attacks
|

replied April 27th, 2009
squiggly lines
I have the same symptoms. I really hate it too! I never really noticed that I would get migraines but I do notice that I feel a little off balance and sometimes dizzy. They come and go and I noticed all night last night there were more than usual. Anyway, thanks everyone for a little explanation.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
squiggly lines
I had the squiggly lines today, first time ever.. I did get a headache about 10 min after the squgglies started, but not like the migranes I usually get.. strange
|

replied November 28th, 2011
I too suffer from similar symptoms and recently went to the optomitrist who gave me the all clear as far as problems with the eyes are concerned. As the squiggles do not allways happen with headaches/migrains I didn't make the connection, but the doctor explained to me that migrains don't always present with other symptoms such as headaches and nausia, so he thinks that this is the most likely cause
|

replied December 26th, 2011
squiggly lines and ability to read
I also get the squiggly lines in my field of vision several times a year, but I never get headaches. Although, it does hinder my ability to read type. I can usually read up to the squiggly lines, and everything to the right is obscured. Curious if migraine sufferers also notice this.... I have never had it checked out.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
This is precisely what I get - it has happened to me twice since last November. Mine starts as a tiny squiggly arc-shaped blind spot that obscures my vision. It grows steadily larger until I can't read anymore, but gradually moves off to the right peripheral, and then stops. The first time it happened it was in the evening, and I took some ibuprofen and went to bed. Today I woke up with it, took some ibuprofen, but still ended up with a slight headache.
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2012
Im glad, Im not alone. At first I thought it had to do with a food allergy. I feel the same effects afterwards, drained and a slight headache follows. Mine starts off like a small blindspot, in the center. It has colors and it gets bigger, more widen, squiggley lines and it jaggedly moves to the peripheral. Resembling northern lights happening right in my eye. it's scary at times and thank god, they dont come too often.
|

replied January 27th, 2012
squiggly light blurriness and headaches
This happened to me this morning for the first time ever, I thought I was going blind or something. Im at work now and totally drained and freaked out. Mine started as a circle that looked like a pulsating spectrum of light that was a blur/ blind spot that turned into my right eye going totally blurry with like norther light-like flashes of green light, like I could see the iris of my eye flashing. I had a headache right after and now my eyes are super light sensitive.
|

replied April 10th, 2013
Exact same thing happened to me today at work. I had to come home as I was so nauseated, off balanced, and completely drained. Thank God I am not alone and I am not going crazy. It first affected my line of vision then began with the crazy kaleidoscope colors that were spinning and all the squiggly lines. Totally freaked me out and I still have a slight headache and that was a few hours ago.
|

replied March 20th, 2012
I thank you Iris For years no one believed me what I was describing. Your description is perfect and exactly what happens to me. Now I can tell my dr on my next appointment what happens to me before a migraine hits. Maybe now she will listen to me and let me have my naproxen which helps me if I take it at the first sign of those lines.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Test Pattern Eyes
I call them 'test pattern" eyes(TPE) because they look like the old test patterns we saw on televisions back in the early days of TV.. I'm 67. I had migraines without any aura for years.. age nine until in 40s. Took betablocker for 18 months and never had another headache.. but since that time... maybe 10 I used to have the TPE rather frequently.. usually in one eye..similar to the unilateral migraines. Could still see to drive back then. Last week, for first time in probably 15 years, it occured in both eyes at same time. THAT is scary. Not light flashes as with retinal warnings.. just the kalidiascope look. Took a couple of aspirin just in case it was a TIA.. it did go away but I'm scheduling exam with retina doc just in case.
Don't play around with your eyes!!!
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Squiggly lines
I have the same problems, sometims I get dizzy, no headaches. Is there something over the counter I can take or do I have to go see a Doctor?
|

replied April 13th, 2012
i have those squiggly lines in my left eye everyday all day and then a head ache quite often never been to a doctor but just have learned to live with it and take a lot of tylonel
|

replied April 27th, 2012
I'm 25 and I have suffered from this since I was 12. When I first started getting them I used to get them everyday. My mom took me to a neurologists but he just summed it up as migraines however my auntie is a dietician and she told me to stop drinking caffine especially sodas and i did and i stopped having them everyday. Since then i still do get them with the start of the squiggly lines however i only get them twice a year. Hope this helps.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
squggly lights from the brain into eyes
It does seem like medical persons have no clue--scans of the brain does not come up with cause, glucose levels are not to blame, perhaps immediate ingestion of a chewed up
full aspirin does relieve it. Hence, blood thickness may be at issue.
|

replied August 22nd, 2012
vision condition or migrane or seizure disorder??
ive been having squiggly lines lots of them they are annoying to me now there not as worriesome but not that i am 20 and ive had them since i was 15 im starting to get scared because now not only do i have a hole bunch of squiggly lines in my vision but now im having flashing lights and shadow people like in my vison the main thing that is bothering me is the squigglys though millions of them and they are worst in the SUN and ive had my retina checked its normal but i do have really bad eye problems where i can not see long distances at all ?? SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE I NEED TO FIGURE OUT AT LEAST ONE OF MY PROBLEMS my doc has also told me i have partial seizures but he is a quack and i dont belive him because he messed me up with anticonvulsants and i dont take nothing now except my risperdol for bipolar
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Sqiggly Lines
I had the same problem....my doctor said it was TSB (Testicle Seamen Backup) and what I was seeing was the stray seamen in my retina. I though he was kidding so I choke one off every once in a while and it seems to help!
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Sqiggly Lines
I had the same problem....my doctor said it was TSB (Testicle Seamen Backup) and what I was seeing was the stray seamen in my retina. I though he was kidding so I choke one off every once in a while and it seems to help!
|

replied March 3rd, 2013
Squiggly lines
I have this problem, mostly when i stand up. I can feel my pulse and my eyes start throbbing. It always happens when I am bowling. Its weird little clear squiggly lines that throb with my heart beat. Do any of you have a clue? Its freaking me out.
|
12 >>
Tags: Headache, vision
Quick Reply