Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Enlarged Uvula (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
A couple of days ago I had this 'lump' feeling in the back of my throat that
would constantly cause an urge to swallow. After a brief self-examination
i discovered that my uvula was hanging low enough to touch the top of
my tongue. This caused the sensation that the 'lump' in my throat to move
back after I would swallow.

After some research around the net I found that the only way to really
shrink my uvula was laser surgery, but since this is the first time ive experienced
this problem, I was hoping to find a process a bit less drastic; for instance,
a gargling solution of some kind.

Suggestions, please?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KCHO12345
|

replied June 21st, 2004
Re: Enlarged Uvula
sytheon wrote:
a couple of days ago I had this 'lump' feeling in the back of my throat that
would constantly cause an urge to swallow. After a brief self-examination
i discovered that my uvula was hanging low enough to touch the top of
my tongue. This caused the sensation that the 'lump' in my throat to move
back after I would swallow.

After some research around the net I found that the only way to really
shrink my uvula was laser surgery, but since this is the first time ive experienced
this problem, I was hoping to find a process a bit less drastic; for instance,
a gargling solution of some kind.

Suggestions, please?
|

replied December 29th, 2013
There is ! Gargling salt water
|

replied June 27th, 2005
I have the same thing! Last night I had a dry throat and then when I woke up this morning it was like there was a lump in my throat and so I looked at my mouth in the mirror and saw tha my uvula had got long enogh to rest on my tongue and it feels like a foreign body. I have had a history of throat problems and am starting to get worried bc ive never had a problem like this before. Usually my tonisls just swell up. Id like to know if this has happened to anyone before and how the problem was resolved.
thanks so much
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Uvula
I had this before, went to the doctor sent home and told to gargle with warm water and salt -- it worked!!! My doctor told me wasn't any point in antibiotics, but he would give it to me if wanted. The warm salt water -- works. And yes it's some type of infection.
|

replied July 11th, 2005
Uvula Swollen
I'm curious about replies to the posts on this subject. My uvula is swollen and somewhat elongated with a whitish coating on one side.

Thanks very much
|

replied September 10th, 2011
i had that happen its an infection called uvulaites u need antibiotix
|

replied February 24th, 2012
I'm at the doctor and said its called uvulitis it's basically an infection like having a sore throat, he is giving me 3 prednisone pills 20mg taking for 2days in the morning and it should help the swelling go down but it still takes 8-10 days to go away just like a sore throat would
|

replied July 16th, 2005
Enlarged Uvula
I cannot speak for all of you, but I have experienced this a few times and it was nothing to work about as it went away on its own. The first time it happened, I was scared and I searched all over the web trying to find out what could be wrong with me. I didn't come up with much. What I did discover though, was that my adult son who lives at home experiences the same thing from time to time. He told me his is caused by several sinus related thing: too dry air in his room forcing making his sinuses clog and then having to breathe thru his mouth, which irritates his uvula.... And also a sinus drip will irritate his uvula and make it swell. When he told me this I relaxed a bit and out up with the horrible "lump in my throat" feeling for about 4-5 days, and then I woke up one morning and it was gone! That was many months ago. I have sinus problems also, so now if this happens again I know it is most likely related to that and will just wait for it to go away. It has only happened twice to me in the last year, but it is definitely a scary and annoying experience. Hope this helps you guys some.
Deb
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Dry Uvula
In the last month I have experienced symptoms very similar to those described in this posting of enlarged uvulas. One individual made the remark his uvula was enlarged and that there was whitish coating on one side.

I also have lump feeling in my throat each time I swallow, but it also feels kind of dry each time I swallow. This feeling goes away when i'm eating food, and I find myself stretching my jaw, perhaps to detach my uvula from sticking to my tongue.

This has annoyed me for quite some time, and any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

nicholas
|

replied January 19th, 2012
You'll be glad to hear that you are not alone. I too went to my doctor and he was more amazed than helpful. Although he had never seen this before, he prescribed Benadryl as an anti-inflamatory..which did not work. Oddly enough it was the nurse who took my vitals who was more helpful. She asked if I snored. I said yes and she reassured me that she has experienced the same thing. If you think about it..if you snore or sleep with your mouth open, your mouth will tend to get dried out. I often wake up with a severe dry mouth. If your uvula dries and then sticks to your tongue as your sleep, then the constant movement of your breathing will cause tension on your uvula. Over the course of the night, this will probably cause the irritation. I use Biotene spray if I wake up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth, but warm liquids tend to relieve the irritation and inflamation. Time is the real cure.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Enlarged Uvula
About 10 years ago, I had the same choking sensation and found that my uvula was twice the size as normal. A consultant told me laser surgery could reduce it, and that it was not an uncommon condition. I declined, hoping it would revert back to its normal size. It did not go back to its normal size, but I did get used to it! It feels worse when I have a cold and swollen throat. Ten years ago I also discovered that I had an auto-immune condition called Sjogren's Syndrome (check it out), causing amongst other things an extremely dry mouth, so that could be the reason why I developed this condition.
|

replied August 5th, 2005
a Doctors Answer For Enlarged Uvula
Hi there,

i am not a doctor but I went to see mine after I woke up with what felt like a lump in my throat and a dry sore throat. I realised that my uvula was enlarged and was touching my tongue.

The doctor checked to see that my tonsils were not inflammed or that I had some kind of throat infection. She then mearly said that I should take nurofen as it is good for throats and that it would be fine in a couple of days.

She was correct.

I suffer from hayfever and often wake up bunged up with a dry throat due to having to breath through my mouth. I think this irritates the uvula has causes it to swell.

Hope this helps
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2012
Experienced User
This condition is because of an irritation such as an allergen. suspect wheat, dairy and sugar. it is said by a world renowned nutritionist that if these three substances are eliminated from the diet & 95% of people will have a healing & return to good health. It may not happen straight away, some times it takes 2-3 months for an allergen to be eliminated from our systems.
The next thing that has to be sorted is correct digestion which includes correct water consumption. NOTICE I SAID WATER not other fluids as anything other than water will cause the body to use excess water to eliminate the particles that the body conciders foreign or waste, leaving us dehydrated. it is scientific fact that the body is approximately 70% water, & yet doctors refuse to treat the body with correct hydration & we continue to consume things like caffeine & sodas which rob the body of life & create disease with out realising until it is too late. Just by breathing we expel 30% of our daily water useage.
|

replied August 5th, 2005
Nurofen
Unfortunately for me, I live in the united states and it appears we do not have "nurofen." I hope this is just generic for ibuprofen, because that's what i'm going to start taking regularly.

Thanks for your update!
|

replied November 7th, 2005
I believe I have the very same thing! I searched all over the net, thinking crazy thoughts like throat cancer and stuff. :oops:

i found this thread, and feel a little less worried after looking at my uvula and realizing it's touching my tongue. It's an annoying lump-like feeling near the back of my tongue that makes me want to swallow often! And i've had this for more than 4-5 days... Wondering when it will go away, if at all. :?:
|

replied March 12th, 2012
In my case, when my uvula is enlarged in the morning, it will only takes an hour or two before the feeling of "lump in the throat" to be gone.
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
I had the same thing last summer.I went to the doctor and she said that it could be an allergic reaction.I have alot of allergies so she gave me allegra and it went away after a couple of days.She also said that sometimes it can be from an infection so I would try some allergy medication and see if that help.I also have to say that the allegra which you need a prescription for is the only allergy medication that helped me because it is a little stronger so I would just talk to your doctor about it.
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
Lump In Throat Feeling
I've had a lump on my uvula for 2 months now and this aggrivating feeling that alternates between a lump in my throat, to needing to swallow or clear mucus.

My doctor said this is a mucus cyst (like the clear blister you might get on your lip) and doesn't indicate it is related to my throat.

Anyone else having this experience? Any related comments welcome.
|

replied November 24th, 2005
Enlarged Uvula
I am so glad to read that there are many people out there with this same 'lump in throat' feeling. After reading your posts, I checked and i, too have an enlarged uvula sitting on my tongue. I have been driving myself crazy thinking that I have thyroid cancer. So glad to have found this forum and found other people that tend to get a little carried away thinking the worst! :d
|

replied November 28th, 2005
Just thought i'd update that my uvula went back to normal about a week after my original post... So, all in all, I had to put up with about two weeks total. I'm just glad it's finally gone. 8)
|

replied December 6th, 2005
I, too, was very glad to see all the replies in this forum. Like many of you, I woke up about 5 days ago with a very dry mouth and irritated throat. I felt the "lump" as well, accompanied by the need to frequently swallow.

I really hope this goes away soon. It is irritating! However, I was also a bit worried that it might be something worse than what it actually is. I just wish there were something I could do to speed up the recovery process.
|

replied October 1st, 2011
uvula swollen
Every once in a while I have an allergic reaction to something I was told to try over the counter zantac and it worked well for me.
|

replied December 18th, 2005
I'm Surprised None of You Know This...
Growing up, my uvula would often hang too low giving that 'lump in the throat.' I have always thought that it signaled some virus.

Anyway, when this would happen, my mother would get a spoon with a wide handle. On the handle she would pile a mix of salt and pepper. Then carefully sliding the handle into my mouth, she would coat the uvula as much as possible with the salt/pepper mix.

If you try this, remember to use a rounded spoon handle and be very careful about what you are doing as it is very hard not to gag while this is happening. I have not been very successful doing this myself because the tongue obscures the view in the mirror. So if there is someone who can help you it will probably work better. But remember that the person doing this has to be careful.

Once the uvula has been sufficiently 'spiced' it will shrink almost instantly.
|

replied February 13th, 2012
I don't know why this was reported as a bad post. I have used this method for over almost 20 years now. I have had my uvula drop 5 times and a mix of salt and pepper on a table spoon would shrink my Uvula every time.
|

replied January 30th, 2006
Enlarged Lumpy Uvula
This forum is great, I must say I am so relieved. I had sinitus (spelling) sinus probs and was prescribed a heavy antibiotic as I had it quite severly, so as we can see from previous posts, this lumpy dry feeling on our uvula could be because of this. Sinus are spaces between our eyes, behind our nose etc, simply spaces, and the are just air, and sometimes after a cold, or when its cold, they get clogged up, and are not drained properly, and the become infected. The trickling in the throat can sometimes cause a secondary infection (these lumps or enlarged uvula, or just plain lumpy feeling at back of the throat, causing you to want to swallow) ive now been given another course of antibiotics which I hope to get rid of it. My aunt said she had exactly the same thing after sinus problems and she also things stress caused it (effecting the muscles in the throat) and she just had plenty of water and took some hoemepathtic/herbal medicines which helped her in days.... Its awfully worrying when you get this lump feeling, you hardly know where its coming from, you feel scared it might block your throat, but dont worry, I was worried, until I came on here and spoke to others also. Just drink plenty of fluids, try to relax and see your doctor if yours still worried.
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Wow! Someone Else Too?
Hello everyone. My name is chelle and i'm new here. I just happen to come across this forum because i'm sitting here having a problem "swallowing" and was trying to figure out what is going on! I've had this for 2 months now and been to the doctors. They thought at first that I had an inflamed epiglottis so I had a scope done and they found that it was fine. Then they thought maybe it was my acid reflux. So, I had some barium tests and xrays done and they came back normal. Now, I don't know what to think. However, after reading the posts on here, it sounds like it could be my sinuses too! I have asthma and allergies to dust and pollen and this all started happening when I got back from visiting someone in california.

It seems like it affects me mainly after 3:00 p.M. Like as if I can't produce enough saliva to swallow and then i'm constantly feeling like I have to swallow, but when I try to swallow sometimes, it's like ...I can't! Like...It's stuck...Almost like the air is going to be cut off. I looked at my uvula and I don't really know if it's enlarged or not. I know that my doctor said that I have enlarged adenoids.

Does this sound like a sinus problem to anyone? It's very scary because I hate having this feeling and being afraid i'm going to choke or something. Luckily, the feeling seems to go away when i'm lying down and sleeping at night. But when I wake up in the morning, i'm fine until about 3:00 p.M. :cry:

any thoughts??

I would love to hear suggestions.

Hugs to all!
~*~chelle~*~
|

replied December 5th, 2006
Enlarged Uvula
I am almost 60 and this is the first time I had this condition. My son is 32 and has had this three or four times. He told me it happens after drinking too much and falling asleep on his back and its from sonoring as it aggrevates the uvula and the hardest thing waas not to force the uvula out as he tried to bring up flem to no avail. This also agrevated the symtoms. He said this went away after a day. This is now my second day with it and it is accompanied with a slight sore throat. As I am in a different house an a different area I am thinking allergies but the thing is I am not one to suffer with allergies too much. We shall see but reading some of the post I would think the laser surgery would be my choice if this condition perssisted for weeks or even a month. My wife a rn says the salt and pepper idea is rediculas. I did not try it so I can't say.
|

replied February 13th, 2012
Uvala Drop
I have had this condition 5 times in since I was 19 and I am 38 now and I can say without a doubt that using the salt and pepper on a table spoon will cause the Uvula to shink back instantly!!! My great aunt who is 93 years old taught me this the first time this happened when I was 19 and it has worked for me ever since.
|

replied October 12th, 2012
Hmmm
That's the problem with people who think they're experienced professionals. They think themselves into a box, take themselves too seriously and forget that we understand very little about the body or the way things interact.

Since salt is a well-known anti-bacterial agent, it makes a fair amount of sense in theory. I've had this problem 3-4 times and for me it seems to work pretty effectively. An RN may turn their nose up at anecdotal evidence or pass it off as psychosomatic but I'm sticking to it. It's MUCH more effective than a medical "proffesional" 'umming and 'ahhing or engaging in intellectual masturbation.
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
Salt
Hey, Eric here.

I was up late last night drinking Jager w/my cousin, and when I woke up this afternoon I was freaking out, because I was hung over, and experiencing this same problem when I tried to drink some water.

I wanted to report that I took some penicillin I had left over from a month ago, and I did try the salt on a spoon technique. Surprisingly RIGHT after I coated my uvula with salt, I did notice a difference in swallowing, and experienced NO trouble swallowing water. I would suggest that anyone experiencing this problem to try this, or even simply gargling salt water. It has really seemed to help me.

Thanks everyone for the posts.
|
Users who thank debonaire82 for this post: AntonyBearpark 

replied April 9th, 2007
Try Mints (halls)
Although this is an old thread, I decided to post my findings.
I've been having this problem as well following a sore throat, for 2 or 3 days.

I tried gargling with salt and soda water (1/2 tsp. of baking soda for a 1/2 or 1 cup of warm water)

It provides a short-term relief, but what really worked was mints.
I had just two mints (Halls) and it went away. I was left with some strange dry feeling in my mouth, but the uvula didn't bother me again, and I could easily go to sleep.
It's hard to say whether it went away on its own or the mints helped it, but the next morning I was fine. Smile
|
Quick Reply