Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

White Sore On My Tongue

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
I have a bit of a sore throat, nothing major and a couple of mouth ulcers bt yesterday I developed a wierd one at the back of my tongue on thw side of it, it is about 3mm in circumfrence and white and my tongue is swollen where it is, any idea what it might be from and how I can treat it? Is it linked in anyway to my stomach ulcer, I am on 150mg gertac ranitidine for that and I keep getting stomach cramps a while after I eat and also my lower back is in constant discomfort.... Help!!!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jacobs__ladder
|

replied January 22nd, 2005
Sore Tonuge
I too have ulcers on my tongue~ it is now a permant part of me...They dont seem to go away...Always there.. But not always flared up... When flaired up...My tonuge gets very sore.. Useally when I eat vinger dressings, mustard, ketchup or something that is hot and spicy.. Then I will have a sore tonuge for a few days..
But they never go away.. I stay thirsty all the time..Never get enough liquids because of these sores..
I have lupus as well..The doctor said it is un-active.. But I can tell its there..I have all the symptoms that us lupies have..
Brain fog, forget things, hair falling out, ulcers, rashes, allergic reactions, clumbsy, I fall alot, headaches, weight gain,arthritis in hands, feet, shoulder and now neck.. I get cramps in my sides when I pick up something heavy.... Not sure what that is but it hurts.. I have boils sometimes.. Which is uncomfortable.. And when stressed things seem to get worse..I feel like a complainer but at least on this board I can pour out what I feel..Someone might read and learn something..

Oh and one more thing last night I was on this board..And my virus scan popped up and said I had a trogen..(exploit-byteverify)... At about 10: 18pm.. Which my mcfee deleted and disposed off..And I scanned to be sure ...
And then again today just about 6:30pm mcfee said another trogen was caught and deleted...
I am not sure who runs this board but take note! Please cause I like this borad.. But I dont wont any virus!!!
|

replied January 25th, 2005
Sores In Mouth
Hey,
i too have sores in my mouth all the time. I also have sjogrens which causes my mouth to be dry all the time. I have found that some of my favorite foods are now some of the hardest for me to eat. You are so right about the ketchup, spicy foods etc. And also mouth washes are very painful to me. I have begun using a line of mouth products called biotene. They are for people who have saliva problems, mouth ulcers etc. It has seemed to help quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have had to learn to either give up some things (certain fruits that I love) or to endure the mouth pain after I eat them. Good luck to you....I feel your pain.
|

replied June 17th, 2005
Before I started taking plaquenil, taking b-complex vitamin supplements and folic acid really helped. They worked as a pretty good preventative medication, and when I did get ulcers, they didn't seem to last as long. I have been told to take acidophilus and l-lysene, but they never did work for me. I'm wondering if perhaps those are meant to treat cold sores rather than this type of oral ulcer. I also find that any abraision (biting tongue, cheek, etc.) would cause these sores. I am careful to brush my teeth very gently, take my time, and try not to eat sharp foods (like tortilla chips).

--oak
|

replied June 28th, 2005
Experienced User
Mouth Sores
I have mouth sores like you wouldn't believe, not only ulcers but glossitis and geographic tongue. I have found you have to avoid spicy, citrus foods, mouth wash and most toothpaste. Crest has a new advanced sensitive paste that is great.

Take mega b-complex 100% take twice the recommended daily amount because you probably are experiencing a b deficiency. Drink powerade or gatorade in addition to water because it has additional electrolites which you might be deficient in, also. Drink "odwalla b-berry monster" blueberries are great antioxidents and nutritious. Get plenty of rest and appropriate nutrition. Avoid too much sun exposure.

If you do these things for two weeks you will start to see an improvement on your tongue. If you continue to live this way, you can use your tongue as a borometer for your general health, when it looks goods, things are good.

Good liuck,

mia
|

replied July 18th, 2008
sores on mouth and tongue
i have sores on mouth and tongue, getting worse. mono and strep test negative.
also severly swollen glands. nystatin anti-fungal and antibiotics don't work. stinging and burning. cannot eat or swallow. intermittent fever and migraine.
what could this be and what can i do
|

replied January 20th, 2009
canker sores home remedy
I have had a few canker sores here and there in my life, and I have found that ALUM works best. It is basically a type of salt, but it is extremely moisture-absorbant. If you don't have any alum, salt will also work, but Alum is better. You can buy alum at the grocery store in the baking section, with baking powerder and such.

To apply, get a Q-tip (cotton swab on a stick) and try to touch the sore without moving your tonge. This takes lots of practice. When you have suceded, now wet the Q-tip and touch it to the alum/salt to get a very small amount on the tip. Now hold the Q-tip to the canker and wait as long as possible, say 30 seconds or more. Once you are done, dont spit! Dont rinse!, but instead drink a big gulp of water. If you spit, your mouth will feel extremely dry for about half an hour and your lips will uncontrollably pucker, sometimes so much so that you cant even speak properly for 5 minutes. Its quite uncomfortable.

I can guarantee the canker will be gone after one application like this. Also works for white sores on tongue.

If you use salt, you will need to repeat the procedure 3-4 times per day until the problem is gone.

Note that I don't have SEVERE cankers, so I don't know if this will work for those of you with more acute problems.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Lupus and Sjorgrens Ongoing Sore Mouth
I can't believe this forum it has helped me so much. I have all the symptoms
of the people on this forum. I will try some of your ideas. I have Lupus and
Sjorgrens I don't know what came first but you get the same symptoms for both
autoimmune diseases. I take plaquinel and small amount of prednisone. I just don't care to eat much anymore it is pain most of the time and I use to love my food.

mouth is so disabilating for me. I have pain all the time. I lost a lot of weight
because of what I can't it. Thank you all for your stories.
I will keep in touch
Michelle
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2009
hi everyone, good thing i stumbled across this. Recently diagnosed with Lupus (march) and last month the mouth ulcers came and have not gone. was initially quite painful but not so bad now. will try all your suggestions and am hoping to report some good news soon
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
hi everyone! I too have lupus and the sores in my mouth and on my tongue are out of control. I not only went to my doctor but dentist also because my mother died of tongue cancer..... My doc and dentist have both say the sores are from the lupus not cancer. I'm so hungry when will this stop??
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Mouth Ulcers
Hello All, I also have lupus and Sjogren's. Right now, I'm battling mouth sores, which I know come from lupus and Sjogren's flare-ups, but this time, I have a huge swelling at the root of my tongue as well as a large ulcer. For some reason this time, my mouth sores are all on one side. I have pain down the side of my face and down my neck. I suspect that the pain is coming from the parotid glands also flaring. Did anybody ever have the sores on just one side? I'm on Plaquenil and Evoxac. I plan to try out some of your suggestions. To those who are feeling desparate, it will pass. I had three great weeks over the holiday. Hang in. It's rough.
Pat
|

replied June 10th, 2010
I have had intermitant lesions on either side of my tongue fo
|

replied June 10th, 2010
I have had intermitant lesions on either side of my tongue for about 10 years. They are white rings with a red spot in the middle. They come and go,but I have been experiencing these sores on both sides for about 5 months consistantly. Before the would last a month or two then go away, but not this time. The pain in my mouth is sooo horrible it makes me sick, therefore I sleep a lot so as not to think about them. Even drinking water and milk irritates these lesions. I have even tried peroxide, gly-oxide, sea salt, anbesol, and a few other things, but to no avail.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
Sore on tongue/pain in upper right side
I have had lupus diagnosed for over 26 years now and am on steroids most of those years. I am on 20 mg now and I also have a sore on right side of tongue tha's excruciating and pain in upper right side around my liver and my docs don't know why. One told me to go on Vitamin B-12 and another found me badly deficient in Vitamin D and prescribed once a month Vit-d by scrpt. I have to take the steroids or I have vasculitis of the brain from which I already have had 3 stroke by age 49. I am exhausted all the time and in major pain in every joint in all of my joints. I am 49 now & around last X-mas fell & broke both arms & both shoulders, had to stay on hosp. awhile then a nursing home. But I have permanent damage. I have slept all day today. I have quit fighting to stay awake. Also diabetic severely - now 4-5 shots a day. Don't want to sound negative, but my kidneys are bad also and I am allegic to almost every single antibiotic on the market and now don't know what to do for my kidney infection and I go into kidney failure easily. Am I dying or do you think I will die soon? I have grandkids I don't want to leave. I am afraid, but I am so tired of staying so sick. Any advice?
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
Sore on tongue/pain in upper right side
I have had lupus diagnosed for over 26 years now and am on steroids most of those years. I am on 20 mg now and I also have a sore on right side of tongue tha's excruciating and pain in upper right side around my liver and my docs don't know why. One told me to go on Vitamin B-12 and another found me badly deficient in Vitamin D and prescribed once a month Vit-d by scrpt. I have to take the steroids or I have vasculitis of the brain from which I already have had 3 stroke by age 49. I am exhausted all the time and in major pain in every joint in all of my joints. I am 49 now & around last X-mas fell & broke both arms & both shoulders, had to stay on hosp. awhile then a nursing home. But I have permanent damage. I have slept all day today. I have quit fighting to stay awake. Also diabetic severely - now 4-5 shots a day. Don't want to sound negative, but my kidneys are bad also and I am allegic to almost every single antibiotic on the market and now don't know what to do for my kidney infection and I go into kidney failure easily. Am I dying or do you think I will die soon? I have grandkids I don't want to leave. I am afraid, but I am so tired of staying so sick. Any advice?
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
My doctor told me to rinse my mouth with a mixture of liquid Benadryl and Maalox. It took about a week, but the sores went away. I didn't get any new sores after I started rinsing. I've known I've had lupus for about 7 years now, and I've only had the mouth sores twice (both since this July). They really suck, but I kept the weight off that I lost (I needed it).

I'm glad I've found this board. I've been looking for one like it.
|