Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

I Am Too Skinny (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
Hey im 17 and about 130 lbs at 6 feet tall. I am too skinny I think and would like to gain and keep weight. I say keep becuase one week I can gain like 5 lbs and lose it the next. I suspect my metabolism to be extremely high. I remember back when I was about 14 I was a little chubby, whats the deal!?

So can someone suggest what to do. I was reading other posts about similiar situations and was concluded that that person needed to intake more calories. What are some good foods to help gain weight?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper seancky2
|

replied February 5th, 2005
Tough
Most girls would love to be in your position!

However, some foods to help you gain weight :eat starchy grains and vegetables, such as rice, oats, pasta, potatoes, kumara, carrots,peas,avocados,granola, potatoes,any meat, nuts and pumpkin. Add condiments such as yogurt, sour cream, sauces and dressings to plain foods and salads. Eat bread with spreads such as avocado, peanut butter and olive or canola oil margarines.
If you want to lose weight try to eat late at night. Eating a bedtime snack can help weight gain, as long as it does not interfere with sleep.

I hope that helps a little bit. Good luck !
|

replied August 30th, 2011
you
to gain weight you shouldnt care what you eat infact i think you problem is bieng picky with foods
|

you
to gain weight you shouldnt care what you eat infact i think you problem is bieng picky with foods
|

replied February 6th, 2005
Experienced User
Don't Worry About Your Weight!
I will worry about living a healthy lifestyle rather than about your weight.

Your metabolism will change over time (especially after the age of 30).
It will probably change when you move away from your parents if you go to college (late night pizza deliveries) or move out on your own.

1. Don't do things which will effect your eating habits (drugs, smoking).

2. Look into lifting weights which will increase you appetite from you muscles craving fuel. When I lifted weights, my body craved me to each more and I easily put on weight. (ask your parents if you can join a gym, use the gym at school, or get weights or even a bowflex at home.) I was a runner in high school and ran leisurely in college. I took a weight training phys ed in college, which helped bulk my upper body. I wish I would have started lifting at a younger age.

If you focus more on being healthy rather than weight, you will be better off in the long run. You are a good height. Your weight will tend to increase in the future. If you worry on health and fitness, you will probably gain more looks from the ladies by being fit.

Tom
|

replied February 8th, 2005
Your very lucky.... I love food and its very hard trying not to eat it. Life isnt fair! Go to mcdonalds and pig out! I had to give up mcdonalds :( tear
|

not really think of it this way mcdonalds is made of a happy cow and dirty pataoes grown in donkey poo
|

replied April 13th, 2005
Noo
emily55555 wrote:
your very lucky.... I love food and its very hard trying not to eat it. Life isnt fair! Go to mcdonalds and pig out! I had to give up mcdonalds :( tear

mac crappers is the worst thing you can eat.
|

replied August 5th, 2005
emily55555 wrote:
your very lucky.... I love food and its very hard trying not to eat it. Life isnt fair! Go to mcdonalds and pig out! I had to give up mcdonalds :( tear

i think it's a double edged sword. You would be happy to be in the position of one who is thin, however, someone who is thin would love to be in the position of one with weight (though not obese).

I often have friends tell me how much they would love to be my size, and it literally angers me. I understand they're desire to lose weight, but to be my size is just a little careless.

Like people trying to lose weight, I try to eat the right foods, I try to exercise, I take vitamins and drink lots of water. To be honest, being 94lbs, and tall, is horrible. It's bad enough to be accused of being bulemic or annorexic whether it's by family or friends and people who don't know me. :/

it also doesn't help that in order to keep warm in the dead of winter I have to layer up to almost 4 shirts and a heavy sweater. Even 40 degree temperatures make me wear 2 pairs of pants.

I'm embarassed in the summers when it comes to swimming, I look like a skeleton. I try to avoid wearing shorts as often as possible.

Those and the health issues that come along with being exceedingly thin aren't fun.

I'm not trying to jump down your throat, i'm just trying to point out that being very thin doesn't have it's pro's either. ;)
|

look im overweight and i dont think you is perfect but it is better then bieng a school attraction under the name of fat is it not true
|

replied August 13th, 2005
Experienced User
I'm 6'2" I started at 158lb and went up to 244lb in a little over a year with proper nutrition and exercising. I'm now a certified nutritionist, and certified personal trainer. Gaining weight has always been very difficult for me to do.. Until now.

What you need to do is get more calories, you want to gain weight but not necessarily fatty weight. Weight gainers, exercising with heavy weight / low reps, eating more meals per day, are all things to get you started. If you do everything properly you can begin gaining around 1.5-2lb per week healthily. Keep in mind it's not advised to gain weight too rapidly, or as much as I did... :)

justin
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Weight Gaining
Hey whats up. I'm 16 and weigh 150lbs also im 6ft 3inch tall. And im sick and tired of people coming up to me and telling me "ohh ur so skinny" that offends me in a way. I mean I ve been goin to the gym but when ever I felt like it. So what do I have to eat and how many calories each day should my body consume? Also how many times should I go to the gym each day and does it matter how long I stay in the gym or not?

...Is running a healthy way to gain weight well what I mean is how much should I eat before taking a jog outside?

And how 'bout should I focus on protein bars and protein shakes..I took it for a while but it really mest my stomach up so what do u think I should do?
Thanx
|

replied August 17th, 2005
ahkahna wrote:
emily55555 wrote:

"yeah I know how u feel everytime I go to the beach i'm embaressed of me even though im 150lbs I still look skinny beacause im tall (6ft 3inch) but I started taking protein bars and protein shakes that helps me out alot if u do want to take these try taking protein bars with 42grams of protein and for portein shakes 2800 calories per serving they cost about $42.00 after taking them you should go bike riding or any other activity that you would be able to build up a slight sweat do that for one month and you would be able to see you gain weight I gained 15lbs in one month. But dont take vitams it will mess u up alot more"

i think it's a double edged sword. You would be happy to be in the position of one who is thin, however, someone who is thin would love to be in the position of one with weight (though not obese).

I often have friends tell me how much they would love to be my size, and it literally angers me. I understand they're desire to lose weight, but to be my size is just a little careless.

Like people trying to lose weight, I try to eat the right foods, I try to exercise, I take vitamins and drink lots of water. To be honest, being 94lbs, and tall, is horrible. It's bad enough to be accused of being bulemic or annorexic whether it's by family or friends and people who don't know me. :/

it also doesn't help that in order to keep warm in the dead of winter I have to layer up to almost 4 shirts and a heavy sweater. Even 40 degree temperatures make me wear 2 pairs of pants.

I'm embarassed in the summers when it comes to swimming, I look like a skeleton. I try to avoid wearing shorts as often as possible.

Those and the health issues that come along with being exceedingly thin aren't fun.

I'm not trying to jump down your throat, i'm just trying to point out that being very thin doesn't have it's pro's either. ;)
|

replied October 3rd, 2005
Marijuana can be used to help increase ones appetite. Smoking a small amount of clean marijuana every 2 days can increase your appetite greatly. Of course like any drug, legal, or illegal, there are side affects which might not be desirable.
|

replied November 10th, 2005
Re: Natural
I would just try to incorporate a healthy diet and go with that. As other people have said, you should actually feel lucky as there are many women who do struggle with weight problems.

Be careful what you wish for, but do what you want to get the results you want.
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Hi im new here....What got me here was that my dad thinks I should work out to "get biger" I dont know if thats right. That makes you stronger, not neccecarily bigger...Im not too sure. Ive alway thought that eating and exercising increases mass. Though I am happy being the stick I am, I respect my dad's reson that one at my age should look a little bigger.
Ive also heard of a fat digesting problem/disease. Is there such thing? What are the symptoms?...Oh and im quite hyper/energetic sometimes eccentric too. Does high metabolism lead to skinnyness?
Oh...And one more thing.(maybe it makes a difference in the result?) I can eat a lot of sugar and not crash...
|

replied April 28th, 2006
Heyy!
Heyy! Im 5'3 and only 93 lbs! ! I dont really do much out of the norm to burn alot of calories so idk y I cant gain weight! I eat like everyone else but somehow I just dont gain weight! Im so tired of seeing other girls my age fit nicley and shapely into their clothes and feeling like I look like a 10 yr old. .If anyone has any tips on how to effectively gain weight fast id love to try it! Ive heard of this stuff called ectoplan but idk anyone whos actually tried it. . Its nice to know theres more people out there like me. . .Xoxo
|

replied April 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Some people are just incapable of gaining weight. I would go see the doctor and have your thyroid tested and have regular blood screenings done to be sure there isn't an underlying medical condition.
I didn't break 100 pounds until I graduated high school. I'm 5'8" and weight about 95 until I was around 19. I was 106 when I got pregnant with my son when I was 21. I gained eighty whopping pounds when I was pregnant, but here I am, back down to around 110. I had lost all of the weight within 5 months of having the baby...
When I was younger I was diagnosed with a blood disorder that prevented my body from absorbing the nutritional value of food the way a "normal" person does. I was told I would grow out of it. I think I have. I'm still thin but I think i'm more "normal" now. When I was younger I didn't think I looked any different than everyone else, until I saw a picture of myself when I was 12. I looked disgusting, protruding bones, etc. I was accused of being anorexic and the like, and that's just downright mean.
Ultimately, if there's no medical reason for your inability to gain weight, and increasing your calorie intake along with weight training doesn't help, you may just have to accept yourself for who you are (which wouldn't be a bad idea either way). We are all beautiful in our own way and you are not the exception.
|

replied May 9th, 2006
If You Want Results.
Anyone can gain weight with excercise and proper nutrition.

The first thing you need to do is make sure your body has everything that it needs. I reccomend taking protein supliments, a high quality multivitamin, ionic trace minerals, vitamin e, fish oil, 5-htp(tryptophan).
An enzyme with a decent amount of protease can boost protein uptake by 300%.

Vitamin e, fish oil, 5-htp(tryptophan) can also replace prozac in most individuals since they will produce elevated seratonin levels in the brain, leading to an overall increase in hapiness.

After a month or so you should now be addicted to the way you feel on these supliments.

This brand is good for "multivitamin and minerals"and "green phyto foods"
their "super antioxidant" product is also very good.

Edit

for protein I recommend a decent quality ionized whey protein isolate.
"designer whey" is one of the best, and their unflavored variety has an excelent taste. Mixed with rice milk provides decent taste and better absorption. Take with enzymes to aid in digestion. Avoid mixing protein and milk, it can lead to signifigant digestion problems.

The diference between excellent nutrition and marginal nutrition is weather or not you want to see signifigant results in months or years.
|

replied January 25th, 2007
Man please, dont be ashamed of that. I am 5''10 and im 130lbs.. Ooh my god. !**@! that, !**@! what people say, they just block cause they only know how to judge by the appearance. We are very tall and very skinny so what, I am a boxer man I have nice muscles I train 4 times a day and I eat well, I am skinny , thats what god gave me as features maybe later ill be more fat, lets hope , I dont care. Look at alexis arguello this guy wasnt being like a !**@! about his weight he was a feather weight at 126 5''10 he won 19 world champion titles in 4 diff categories in a row! Beating the bests.. He wasnt being a !**@! hiding and shy and stuff, no, dont look at my bones , look at my health and I can do stuff that muscular mofos out there could never dream to do. Http://www.Zippyvideos.Com/219346754339279 6/alexis_arguello_background

just do sport you dont care , own your fears and eat well.

Guillermo
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Sport
I agree with that. Sport can solve lots of weight and metabolism problems.
Another thing: be sure to eat very much in the evening before going to bed. This way, the calories won't be burned and you could gain some weight.
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Too Skinny?
I am in the exact same position as you, im 6foot 2 i weigh 11 stone which isnt that bad but i do just look skinny, i have skinny little legs and arms and body and my friends and housemates constantly point it out, i got dumped for being too skinny so i understand what you are going through, i understand that you shouldnt worry about these things as it is who you are but if you are really unhappy you should try and do something about it like i am, its better to be happy!
|

replied March 7th, 2008
hey there,
you should get medical attention if you feel you are abnormally skinny or cant increase weight no matter how much you eat. It is likely that you are suffering from Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid hermone).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthyroidi sm
So, NO matter how much you eat, your body is not getting chance to absorb it properly...the best prescription in marker is "radioactive iodine"..there are trapozole and other drugs available to cure hyperthyroidism, but they all have some side effects...Radioactive iodine according to research hasnt shown that side effect for 90% patience..Also, it is permanent..
So, when you see a doctor, tell him/her that you feel like you are suffering from hyperthyroidism caz lot of the doctors does unnecessary testings..and ask them for a prescription of radioactive iodine..
hope this helps..
|

replied March 13th, 2008
i feel u
i am 14 5"3' and only 88 lbs....its impossible 4 me 2 gain wieght....i eat a ton of junk food and i am soo lazy...and yet theres nuttin.....i agree with who ever said that they hate people callin them skinny....people call me anorexic and belemic...cept 4 the people who eat lunch with me...they c it b eaten...and then it stay down....omg i hate...but oh well good luck gaining weight
|