Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

Allergic to Tattoo Ink?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Does anyone know anything about tattoo's... My 18 year old son got a tattoo a few weeks ago and has been sick ever since with flu like symptoms that will not go away and now he has a red rash with hive like things all over his body... His lymp glands are swollen also.. This may be silly but maybe someone can shed some light.. He does not want to go to the Dr..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
re:
It is possible to be allergic to tattoos. It's kind of rare but most of the time it comes from red or yellow ink. If you truly suspect allergy from tattoos, your son needs to see a doctor because he may be at risk for anaphylactic shock.
|

replied February 25th, 2009
I see this question is old but the answer may save someone's life. i have been a tattoo artist for many years and my wife has been a nurse (rn) just as long so together our opinions hold some merit. go to the doctor or emergency room!!! i have never seen anyone allegic to tattoo ink in all my years. this sounds more like cellulitis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cellulitis which can be very damaging and hard to get rid of. it takes serious antibiotics which need to be monitored by health professionals. this is not something to be taken lightly!!! i suppose it is possible to be allergic to anything but most likely the problem is a treatable medical condition. btw- many health professionals are going to lecture you about the dangers of getting tattoos but that doesn't mean you won't receive proper treatment, just that you'll have to get an earful of their negative experiences. i would be willing to bet that many of them are doing much worse to themselves every day with sleep deprivation, chemical abuse, elevated stress levels, etc.
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Although this post is old, I want to add my two cents worth as well because it may help lead to some sort of answer.

I, too, have been suffering with cold-like symptoms for three weeks now. Cold and/or allergy medications have not helped. About two months ago, I had the same symptoms, but only for about one week, then they went away until three weeks ago. Coincidentally or not, I also noticed that I had a bunch of bumps on my back.

The bumps don't itch and aren't red, but if you scratch or scrape them, they are extremely painful and sensitive.

Only today did I realize that the bumps are ONLY on my tattoos. There are no bumps, whatsoever, on any part of my back that does not have a tattoo.

I respectfully disagree with the above poster regarding allergies to tattoo ink. My research has shown that the various metals in the ink can cause allergic reactions in some people even years later.

I'm beginning to believe that I have an allergic reaction to my tattoos and it has spread to a histamine reaction in my sinuses. This is only conjecture, but I have decided it's time to go to the doctor for antibiotics and/or steroids.

Good luck to all!
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
I am a holistic health care provider. You can absolutely be allerigic to tattoo ink!!! Tattoo ink is toxic. You cannot consume it. We now know that anything on our skin is absorbed into the body. Think about what mercury fillings are doing to people's health. Tattoo ink may contain (and usually does) heavy metals, including mercury. Most manufacturers do not list ingredients.
I have a lot of tattoos, but now that I understand how the body works, I won't get more until there is a non-toxic ink. There is no doubt in my mind that the constant daily absorbtion of the toxins is damaging our bodies (nervous and immune systems specifically).

Think outside the box.
Live well.
|

replied March 16th, 2011
tattoo allergy
It has been almost a full month since I got my last tattoo which was my 12th one.4th one by this artist who is also my brother. Within 2days my leg was swollen and hurt so bad I could barely walk on it. I was treated for a bacterial infection. After 11 days of antibiotics there was no improvement. I went to the ER and was told it was cellulitis and I needed to see a dermatologist and possibly have the whole area of skin cut out! I was given 2more antibiotics! I went to a different ER the next day. The dr there said classic allergic reaction!which had lead to the cellulitis is which is just an infection in the layers of skin. After using the cortisone drops on it the 1st time it felt 100times better. It has been 3 days and the tattoo is finally healing! Unfortuanately I had already lost "chunks" of skin in the area with the most red pigment and some in the white! I have other tattoos planned but will avoid red and probably this brand of ink altogether. I also have execema and a nickel allergy...
|

replied April 19th, 2011
i have sleeve's and a full back piece i have never had a problem with any work i got done
but anything is possible
if some of u r having health problems y wouldnt u go see a doctor
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Tatoo (gential problems)
My reaction is different, although I suspect heavy metals. I have itching head to toe and have blisters ONLY on my genitals, but the tatoo is on my back. I've seen doctors about it and tried hydrocortisone and bactiarl creams with no luck. Also my doctor told me that my white blood cell bout was low, which is a defiantly a cause for concern. The blIsters itch, some hard, while others just enflamed skin. I really want a fix for this because quite frankly my sex life will be screwed because of this :/ any ideas?
|