Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Numb Finger And Peeling Skin

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Has anyone had the following problem:

right hand (or left hand): finger tip (the entire end section of the finger) becomes numb. However, you still have feeling in it. The general feeling can best be described like the sensation you get when your finger gets a coating of elmer's glue on it. And when you bend it, it feels stiff.

Then tingling sets in.

And then a few days to a week later, the skin begins peeling off. First in small amounts and then all at once. A few days later, your finger looks just like new.

Several months go by and then the cycle starts all over. Only this time on a different finger...Same hand.

Please respond with similar occurences and solutions or diagnosis!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 2nd, 2005
Numb Fingers And Peeling Skin
I too am having this problem - has anyone figured out what it is and how to cure it?

Thanks!

Nicole
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
Numb, Peeling Fingertip
I just joined the forum and sent in this exact question. Have either of you found an answer yet? I am making an appt. With a dermatologist soon. If I squeeze my fingertip in the light, it actually looks discolored, so I know something isn't right. If I get a diagnosis, i'll post it.
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Symptom: the skin on the tip of my left thumb and index finger becomes numb and hardens (like a blister forming). At the same time the nail deforms slightly (sometimes painful). After 2-3 days a thick layer of skin starts to come off. The new skin underneath is red and sensitive. After a week or so the fingers look like new again. The same repeats itself in a 3-4 week cycle. I am 60 and had this for the last 12 years. My mother is 80 and had it for many years now. If anyone has a cure for this please let me know. Regards. Heinz 682-622-6655.
|

replied May 24th, 2005
Fingertip Peeling/cracking.
Three weeks ago I was given the diagnosis of fingertip eczema. I was given a prescription cream & it is completely healed. I had suffered with the pain & ugliness for quite awhile. I didn't believe the diagnosis at first, but the medication worked like a miracle. Please see a dermatologist.
|
Users who thank Julianne for this post: yuclaby 

replied May 24th, 2005
Julianne and cak34,
thanks for your answer and recommendations. I have seen three dermatologists over the years and took what ever they prescribed. Nothing helped.
Regards.
Heinz 682-622-6655.
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Peeling/numb Finger
Heinz,

ask your dermatologist about a prescription cream called clobetasol prop. Your symptoms sound identical to mine. My skin would harden, peel & crack, then regenerate every few weeks to new skin. It was ugly & painful, but only affected one thumb, no where else on my body. Good luck to you!
|

replied June 4th, 2005
Peeling Finger
I have had a type of eczema for years, called pompholox. It is quite different from what everyone is describing here. However, one of my fingers has developed this peeling skin thing. I have experienced no pain though. My doctors have always prescribed a topical steriod, triamcinolone acetonide cream, for my other type of eczema, which I am trying on this condition. I am hoping that it will clear up. I will post again if I have any luck.
|

replied September 3rd, 2005
Julianne:
what is the name of the prescription cream that your dermatologist prescribed for you, as I have exactly the same condition that you decribed,

thanks
|

replied February 13th, 2006
I have this same problem on my index finger. I am 43 years old and have schmidtts syndrome.(addisons's disease) I now get this every time I get a cold or infection and am developing antibodies. It's as if my body is attacking the skin underlining my finger.
|

replied February 14th, 2006
I have something similar and it usually happens when it's cold out. My fingers go numb and no blood circulation gets to them. It hasn't been that much of an annoyance, but they do start to hurt in the snow or extreme cold. If you have excema, you might want to check into different creams to buy to fix the problem. With some lotions you can actually make the itching and flaky skin go completely away.
|

replied August 1st, 2006
I have similar problem. But I think I am in the process getting it cured. My doctor find a special kind of colon cancer, which produce special hormones stimulate this kind of problem. It is a slow growth kind of cancer, find early will have 100% cure. Maybe you should have your colonoscopy done to check that out!
|

replied February 9th, 2009
Numb/Peeling Thumb
I have been experiencing the same numbness in my left thumb the past few months. The numbness is followed by peeling of the skin exposing some very tender and red new skin. After a few weeks, it seems to start all over and do the same thing. Doctor prescribed a steroid cortisone to treat eczema, so far doesn't seem to help much. So far it has been the same left thumb only and doesn't occur anywhere else. One possibility that I am checking into is if I am allergic to the shiny free nickel which is often used on PDA's, cell phones and hand held devices. I have put electrician's tape over the shiny areas for now to see if the problem goes away. I have been sensitive and allergic to many things in the past. -Avery
|

replied April 17th, 2009
skin cracking
you may have psoriasis, or eczema. feet and hands can crack, peel and go numb. stress or allergic reaction may have brought it on. try a over the counter hydracortizone 1%.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
peeling skin
I have exactly as most of you have described but i always thought it was from an accident that happened to the nail bed on the ring finger on left hand. I was wearing acrylic nails and a number 10 can of tomatoes fell on that nail and broke through the acrylic and through the real nail also and it bled infering that some damage had been done to the real nail itself. Some time after that I started getting this condition as described, cycling every 3 weeks. It took a couple of years to suspect that maybe it was some kind of nail fungus so because of the discomfort and also wanting to get rid of it I stopped getting my nails done and it went away completely, but it took about six months. Then four years later I wanted to try the nails again so here I am with this condition again....exactly as before. Of course I stopped the nails immediately. But it hasn't gone away yet...I guess it needs more time, as it's only been a couple months. Tell me what you all think of that?
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I have this same problem about once a year, only the numbness and skin peeling always happens on my left thumb and i always develop a rash/hive on the top of my right index finger, under my knuckle. They both always occur at the exact same time and are very painful. Anyone have the same problem?
|

replied July 9th, 2009
fingertip peel
I've had this happen once, exactly as you describe. It was on my right ring finger and hasn't reoccurred. I was actually relieved when it peeled off, as it felt normal again after that. I do have a history of excema but have not had it manifest on my hands before (usually my face).
|

replied July 8th, 2010
cure for fingertip peeling
I've had this problem for the past 4 years. My thumb would get hard/numb, then peel. This would last several weeks/1 month, then go back to normal (this cycle would repeat every several months/year).
In the past I've taken fungal medications including Nystatin, Lamisil, etc, and none had worked.
I finally just recently saw a dermatologist who said there was no evidence of any fungal infection, or any infection at all. He said it was a an allergic reaction to something I'm touching. He gave me cream, "Fluocinonide" and it started looking better in a day (and went back to normal within a week...when it would normally have taken at least 3 weeks at that point). He recommended getting a patch test done, where they would check to see what it is that I'm allergic to. It could be some sort of metal, or solvent etc.
Hopefully this helps. It had been a very frustrating problem for me, and now it looks like this is the solution.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Harpreet Singh