Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Irritated By Noises

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
This is getting really bad. I have long been irritated by gum noises, whistling, loud chewing, etc., but it is getting to the point where I feel very close to beating the crap out of the offenders. I also can't even stand to look at someone doing those things - just sitting behind someone who is chewing gum and watching the back of their head gets me very anxious. I have seen 'hyperacusis' mentioned here but I think this is something more or different. I take public transit and must wear headphones and listen to music most of the time to shut it all out and look away when someone is doing something that bothers me.

What is this and what can I do about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mysweetsunshine
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Hey, I get like that too. It disturbs the hell out of me because when my mom vacuums(sp?) around me I get extremely irritated and want to pulverize someone. I never do, but it's a scary feeling.
Sorry, got no idea what the cure/problem is. Maybe somebody here will tell us.
|

replied February 8th, 2005
Experienced User
I Am Sensitive to Sound Too, Repitious Sounds Too,
I am so easily annoyed by certain sounds
usually by someone repeatinly with the sniffles, or tapping a pencil
cracking knuckles, and also gum smacking

i am a female, usually people think I am so sweet and great and calm
but if some kind of sound , like a loud movie going on in the other room of my house,

i want to punch who ever is causing the annoying sound to me, I want to punch them, I want to scream

it is interesting, ( of course I never would hurt someone )

i just have to go away

infact, I was just planning this thursday to go to walmart or somewhere
that sells these headphones that block a lot of sound out
sometimes people use them for meditation

thanks for listening, I am not the only one! :)
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Things like that used to irritate me too, especially when I am in a public place and their are kids yelling and screaming, I learned to tune them out by focusing my mind on something else(i realize that it is easier said than done).
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Irritated By Noises
Hello, I am a newcomer to this board: i, too, have a problem with being annoyed by noises and while trawling the internet for similarly afflicted people, I found this forum.

I have had this problem for 30 years. When I was in my teens, I was sent to a psychiatrist and then a couple of psychologists. None of them even wanted to address the problem and kept going off on tangents about my alleged low self esteem and blah-de-blah. The psychiatrist suggested I would be happier if I wore make-up and nicer clothes (?!). He also give me tranquilizers and then antidpressants, which made me worse.

If any of you people who contributed to this thread earlier are still around, i'd love to make contact.
|

replied August 11th, 2010
irritating noises
Wow!!! It is so nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I can't stand anyone sucking on candy, kids being really loud or just making noises for no reason, the list can go on.
Also, some words get me irritated; such as "cream." uggg can't even stand to type it.
I feel the more I try and ignore it the worse it gets. I want to scratch someones eyes out and believe me, I'm not violent.
I would LOVE to know what this is.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
This has a name now!
I've now found out it has a name! It is called Misophonia. There are several forums about it now, and some Facebook pages.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
response to post thank you
Thank you soooo much Judith S...after reading posts about people who suffer from this made me feel better. It is just so nice to know that I'm not the only one and when someone describes the EXACT same feelings, it makes it better for the moment.
I will research and look up Misophonia and look at the website you sent.
Thank you very much for your help!
Take care!
|

replied September 8th, 2011
misophonia, irritation at noises
look up misphonia. It was on GMA this morning. I think I have a touch of it, my daughter does for sure! Wow, interesting to know other people feel the same way as I do. My daughter gets SO mad at the small noises, but likes LOUD ones, train whistles and jet planes. Anyone else like this too?
|

replied February 24th, 2013
Misophonia
i get irritated from the sound of people chewing to the sound of scratching, swallowing, chips getting crunched and pen tapping, is it normal? oh and the sound a ruler makes when it.. you know, it drives me crazy really, i've heard its a disorder called "misophonia" something like that, some people i know think I'm faking it, why would someone fake something like that? i'm just a 15 year old girl. i need help. xxox
|

replied March 5th, 2013
Also, hyperacusis.
|

replied July 4th, 2013
I have this "disorder". Gum popping, chewing loudly, but especially the repetitive boom, boom, boom from loud bass sounds from music drive me up the wall! I was living across the street from a do-it-yourself carwash where the patrons open all their car doors and crank up their radios. I don't usually hear the music but I definitely hear and feel the annoying booming. There are times where I'm irritated and agitated and only realize if I stop what I'm doing and listen that I realize the bassy noises are going on. This repeated occurrence ruined a relationship I was in and I had to move. The inconsiderate people who turn up their car radios will eventually go deaf I'm sure and that's too bad! I'd like them to experience the 24/7 torture that goes in in my head due to their inconsideration! At this point I'd like to find a resolution to the severe anxiety and aggitation. I can't live my life wearing noise deadening earphones all the time. Today I'm visiting a friend in another city and I'm sitting here grinding my teeth listening to bassy noise the idiots across the street. I keep telling friends I'd like to walk across the street and shoot up the radios and put an end to the torture I feel.
|

replied October 12th, 2013
Wow .... Good to know I'm not the only one with these problems. Usually it's just chewing food or drinking, or pouring a drink or loud breathing, but I'm sitting at the library right now and a child keeps opening his velcro closure backpack and I can't stand it. Sometimes I feel I have hate for these people (I ESPECIALLY can't stand to hear my dad eat) but I don't hate it if they're not eating or opening velcro.
|