Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Strong Smelling Urine (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
I have had this problem for about a month - maybe someone has some advise on what it may be. My urine has had a very strong odor - especially when I first wake up in the morning. I was told that it may have something to do with not getting enough fluids or drinking too much caffeine. I have tried to pay more attention to drinking more liquids but the problem has not gone away... Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Has anyone had this problem before???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JuliyaF
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2003
Supporter
You Need More Water!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, strong smelling or dark color urine is an indication you are not drinking enough water. Depending on your weight, you should be drinking anywhere from 3-5 quarts of water a day. I am serious. It sounds like a lot! When you get up in the morning, before that cup of coffee, drink a large glass of cold water. Drink another large glass around 10, then one before you eat lunch. Another @ 3:00, then one before supper. If you will commit yourself to this, in couple of days, you will be rehydrated and your urine should be clear and not have a smell. If this does not do the trick, I would advise seeing your primary care physican. Hope this helps. It cured me years ago! And......I maintain my weight!!!!!!! :d
|

replied October 27th, 2003
Yes, I am pretty slim (5'7" and 122 lbs) so that sounds like a lot of water but I will try it. I am sure that is what the problem is because if I am not paying attention I can go most of the day without drinking liquids.
Thank you so much for the advise!
|

replied April 12th, 2004
Hello there,

ive had a similar problem for about 3 months now, my urine smells incredibly strong 90% of the time.

I started drinking around 4 pints of water a day for about a week, and the smell cleared up (not completely, but almost) but I was having to urnate far to frequently, perhaps once every 30 minutes.

I am also having a problem with discharge after urinating. I am 'dripping' (for lack of a better word) for about 2-4 minutes each time.

Ive had a look around & I cant find anything specific this can be.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Like me people who eat too many acidic foods( correct ratio 70/alkali ..30/acidic)
Tend to have smelly pee!! By eating more alkaline foods it should help lessen smelly
Pee. Aloha from Maui/ Derrick.
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Smelly Pee
Like me people who eat too many acidic foods( correct ratio 70/alkali ..30/acidic)
Tend to have smelly pee!! By eating more alkaline foods it should help lessen smelly
Pee. Aloha from Maui/ Derrick.
|

replied January 25th, 2012
ammonia smelling urine
Let me know if u have found an answer to this problem. I am having the exact symptoms, ammonia smelling urine & dripping after I urinate. I've been experiencing this for 2 months, did an urine analysis and it came back fine. I don't know what else to do.
|

replied August 8th, 2004
Other Possibilities
Hi, another possibility is an std, as some are known to change the characteristics of urine (this is a relatively unlikely possibility compared with hydration, but if it is still not improving it wouldn't hurt to go see a doctor
|

replied May 7th, 2005
Strong Smelling Urine
My husband has had very strong smelling urine for quite a long time (i am thinking at least a year). He already drinks a large quantity of water every day--gallons, so I do not think it is dehydration. Any ideas? I have looked it up and uti and dehydration keep coming up. Oh and std's but that is not the case.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
diabetes type 1. If the urine smells/tastes sweet, most likely diabetes. Go have insulin and glucagon blood test.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
I also have had this problem with my urine having a strong smell like old urine. I drink plenty of water. My urine isn't dark, and I am very hydrated it is very clear. And have no pain associated with an infection.
I do know some high potecny vitamins cause an odor in urine along with a bright orange color also. So I stopped taking them but still have the odor problem I don't always have the odor though
|

replied January 14th, 2012
old smelling urine
I also am having the same problem. I was hoping to find at least a clue. Have you found out anything since your post?? I have had this now for almost 2 months. I hope you have an answer...
|

replied October 11th, 2005
Lately I have noticed a strong amonia smell when I urinate. I take methotrexate for ra and my dosage was just increased. Could this be the cause?>
|

replied December 13th, 2012
Urine odor
I read that ammonia smell means infection or stones.
|

replied January 19th, 2006
Hi everyone, I joined just post in here.

I was looking for an answer to the same problem, about 3 months ago I noticed a sudden smell, and although it could be my lack of water intake, I couldn't understand why it happened all of a sudden.

My analysis: birth control
i noticed ever since I started taking it thats when the smell happened.

So I just wanted to input that as a option.
|

replied June 11th, 2007
Urine Smell
HI THERE,

I'M A 26 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND I'VE ALSO NOTICED THAT EACH MONTH AFTER MY PERIOD MY URINE STARTS SMELLING REALLY BAD. SO WHAT I DO TO CLEAR IT IS DRINK A BOTTLE OF LIGHT (IN CALORIE AND SUGAR) CRANBERRY JUICE. NOT JUICE COCKTAIL THE REAL 100% JUICE AND IT CLEARS IT UNTIL THE FOLLOWING MONTH. I TRY TO FINISH THE ENTIRE BOTTLE IN A DAY AND A HALF OR SO... OR LESS. ALSO I TRY TO FOLLOW THAT UP WITH MY WATER INTAKE. IT DOES NOT GO AWAY FOREVER, SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS EVERY OTHER MONTH BUT IT CLEARS FOR A BIT. HOPE THAT WAS A HELPFUL TIP. IT'S NICE TO KNOW I'M NOT ALONE IN THIS.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Strong Odor In Urine
I have been experiencing a strong odor in my urine for about 4 or 5 months now. Not every day, but some days more than others. After reading the other posts, some of my problem may be not enough water intake, but I have another theory and was wondering if any other women had the same: I started taking Yaz, a fairly new birth control pill around the same time this began. Has anyone heard of this as a side effect of Yaz? I've had other side effects from this pill and I won't be suprised if this is another one. Any suggestions?
|

replied August 1st, 2011
dark smelly urine while taking YAZ borth control??
Hi there i have had the same problem and my blood pressure has sky rocketed! all from taking yaz! i just had a bunch of tests doen to see whats going on, but the urine thing dark with weird smell....went off yaz and onto alesse for 2 months didn't have this problem once and then back on yaz within 48 hours it was back! any new news from your end??
|

replied August 8th, 2012
URGENT
You need to come off Yazmin immediately as it has been reknowned to have serious health effects if blood pressure is raised. It says it in the booklet which comes with the medication. GP's are now trying to get as many people off Yazmin as possible as for most people its seriously harmful to your health and is known for causing blood clots.
|

replied September 20th, 2012
change in urine smell
I've also started taking Yaz and my urine's has completely changed.
|

replied September 20th, 2012
I have also started taking Yaz and ever since the smell of my urine has changed completely
|

replied July 18th, 2007
Re: Strong Smelling Urine
LBramblett wrote:
I have had this problem for about a month - maybe someone has some advise on what it may be. My urine has had a very strong odor - especially when I first wake up in the morning. I was told that it may have something to do with not getting enough fluids or drinking too much caffeine. I have tried to pay more attention to drinking more liquids but the problem has not gone away... Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Has anyone had this problem before???
When i have this it is a kidney infection due to a kidney stone.You might want to have your doctor check that out.Ive heard you can buy over the counter uti kits .It also could be hepistits.Ihad dark urine with that aslo.And it could be nothing but needing more water.Best would be to have your doctor check it out.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Urine
I am taking Yasmin birth control and also a cider vinegar tablet and not sure which one of these is causing this, when I took vitimit B my urine was bright yellow as it is now but now it has a strong smell in morning and changes back to a clear colour in evening and no smell. I drink 2.5 or more litres of water a day and always take a drink to be bed so it cannot be hydration what is it???
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Urine
Grant - I feel pretty strongly that its the birth contrl pill that is doing it to me. My urine has a much stronger odor and color in the morning as opposed to later in the day. I take cranberry supplement everyday and don't feel like its a kidney stone or UTI. However I am going to the doctor for a regular check up tomorrow and blood work will be done, so maybe I'll find out something soon. I'll post my results as I have them.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Re: Urine
flgator64 wrote:
Grant - I feel pretty strongly that its the birth contrl pill that is doing it to me. My urine has a much stronger odor and color in the morning as opposed to later in the day. I take cranberry supplement everyday and don't feel like its a kidney stone or UTI. However I am going to the doctor for a regular check up tomorrow and blood work will be done, so maybe I'll find out something soon. I'll post my results as I have them.
YEAH the doctor is your best answer.however people say there are no side effects to natural remedies( however do they know since they havent been tested?by fda ) so im sure just like real meds side effects also.i would think drinking 100% cranberry juice would be the best tho.not in a pill form.Good luck and let us know.
|

replied August 8th, 2007
Re: Urine
hopesprings2 wrote:
flgator64 wrote:
YEAH the doctor is your best answer.however people say there are no side effects to natural remedies( however do they know since they havent been tested?by fda ) so im sure just like real meds side effects also.i would think drinking 100% cranberry juice would be the best tho.not in a pill form.Good luck and let us know.

Well I got my blood test results back and it showed that I have 2 liver enzymes with high levels. (SGPT and SGOT) The SGOT is the one that really caught the attention on my Dr. Said he wants to keep an eye on it and I have to go back in 4 months. I take blood pressure meds (2) and he thinks that may be the cause. Also, I've gained weight in the last year. (almost 20 lbs) And he wants me to lose some weight. I'm in my mid 40's and i've been experiencing pre-menopausal symptoms for almost a year now. (The hot flashes have quit for now, thank God!) I can't help but think that is part of the reason for my weight gain as well. I've had many other pre-menapausal symptoms as well. I'm drinking more water and have cut back on sugar. I plan to have lost at least 8-10 lbs or more by November 27th. I'll have more blood work done then. My urine isn't as strong smelling since I've been drinking more water, however its not gone all together.
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2007
Stronge Smell And Frequent Toliet Runs
when i get in the morning i normally get up and go the loo (as most ppl do). it seems my urine has a very stronge smell. thoughout the day i am mostly on the computer and every time i seem to sit down i have the urge to go the loo again. it seems that if i do something active or interesting i dnt have these sudden urges. i am extremly worried as i am only 15 and i am suffering for these problems. any advice of how to improve my bladder control?
|

replied October 9th, 2007
Experienced User
it could be from not having enough water, but if you begin to get symptoms like burning urine , cloudy urine i think you should get a urine test done.
|

replied October 22nd, 2007
Kind of Odd
i'm only 16 and i don't drink, smoke, and i have no hereditary disfunctions or problems. i'm perfectly fine. but since a couple days ago my urine has been smelling like VERY strong and i have no idea why. I don't know about the water, but i have been drinking ALOT of juice lately, and suddenly. and I don't know that THAT would be the cause of the odor. So i have no idea what's wrong. I thought it might be because of the pill I took, i've never used Exedrin apsirin before. I had a medication once that made my urine smell and look odd so i don't know. But i figured the pill would have been out of my system by now. I took this Saturday. So yea. I don't know.
|

replied March 17th, 2012
Well you will find out if you pay attention many things will affect the strength and smell of your urine, though dark like ice tea or cola and strong smell of old urine. or amonia, that lasts any length of time (more than one day)at least. Then find out why.
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Urine Smells Like Ammonia, Frequent Trips Drips, And Other P
I was looking up ammonia smelling urine--I have interstitial cystitis icahelp.org for more info...and have many of the issues listed above... I think you are right about the water intake. I stayed dehydrated because of the frequent bathroom trips..but acid..like in juice or cranberries...make this worse..as it is like a hemorrhaging in the bladder lining at all times...but I will take the advice and drink more water...it would probably make one feel better..and wouldn't it change the ph balance? Also.. my liver enzymes were high too..and they don't have an answer on that yet... did you guys?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Anand J. Singh