Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Alcohol, Been Sober For 9 Monthes Ok to Drink In Moderation?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I used to drink heavy, about 5-9 drinks almost every day for years. I'm 25 now and been 100% sober for 10 monthes now. I've read on the internet that alcohol is good for you in moderation, about 1-3 drinks per day. I'm thinking about trying that. My life has been very dull and boring lately and maybey this will make me feel better and improve my life in general. Is this ok?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2005
Is It Ok to Drink Moderately
No!
Not for you, sounds like, since you freely admit an addiction with alcohol. I can tell also by the way you relate your boredom to wanting to drink that you have experienced taking the boredom away by drinking. It's good to take boredom away but you should not drink. You must know how to contact a local support group like aa or get yourself a counselor. Its absolutely fantastic that you have gone all these months without a drink!! Give yourself a hug for that! All you need now is to 1. Start feeling your feelings without drinking 2. Connect with a different process whenever you have the 'urge' to drink 3. Learn to understand the cycle of addiction so that you can take advantage of this terrific momentum you have begun. There are hotlines to telephone if you need to talk instead of drink, for the spur of the moment kind of struggle, and there are counselors to help you for shaping the rest of your life. Dont give up! One more drink will lead to more drinks...And affect your body chemistry. Get in touch with the motivations behind your urge to drink. You have so many friends who have been there waiting to support you and to receive support from you! Go for it!
|

replied January 17th, 2005
Experienced User
I agree, no way dont touch it once youve stopped
|

replied January 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Again no and no.

Alcoholics metabolize alcohol in a different way than non-alcoholic people. I must congratulate for your abstinence so far.

Staying off alcohol does not always treat the underlying metabolic disorder that brought you to drink in the first place. Most people who abstain from alcohol find it sometimes difficult to feel happy and content. This is because most alcoholics have hypoglycemia, which means that they are not getting adequate amounts of energy going to the brain. This energy is required to effect the biochemical reactions in the brain, and is also necessary to produce the happy neurotransmitters such as serotonin and norepinephrine. Thus an non-drinking alcohol may feel that is something missing. It is a form of depression.

The non-drug treatment for depression is the adoption of the hypoglycemic diet.

Jurriaan plesman
|

replied February 9th, 2005
You should also post under the addiction and alcohol site. Lots of advice there. I would not go back to drinking at all if I were you.
|

replied February 9th, 2005
Experienced User
It's unanimous. The answer is no, it's not okay.

Congratulations on being sober for so long. But you've really got to learn how to enjoy things without alcohol. It's depressing just knowing that you need alcohol to have a good time... Not cool at all, especially at age 25.

Stay focused, stay on track, stay sober.
|

replied April 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Congratulations for not drinking for so long u should really giver urself a pat on the back for that. Dont drink it will start of as 1 or 2 then ull be back to normal again please stay sober.......
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Hiya (((deprived)))

i am new here ... Saw your post and registered straight away to reply.

I know it has been said but no this is not ok at all. Well done for managing to stay sober for this long, but keep going with it. Alcoholism never goes away. If you take a drink again, even with good intentions, it will eventually be back to the old drinking style.

Saz
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Re: Alcohol, Been Sober For 9 Monthes Ok to Drink In Moderat
Hey well just don't get carried away again stuff gets hard at times and it may seem to be that drinking will solve your boredom also well really it won't it just adds to your problems trust me I know....Also my dad was an alcoholic so i'm not to much for drinking everyday once a week maybe but not all the time good luck and stay smart
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! Congratulations on being sober, even though it has been a short time, it is a great start but you need to continue on being sober. Alchoholism is a disease that you have to stay away from it. Have you gone to aa and got a sponsor, they have a lot of things to do there. You will be surprised that the people you meet there some are Dr.'s and engineers, young and old.
Good luck! Please stay sober!
Sincerely,
sandy
|
Quick Reply