Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

I Feel Like I Have a Lump In My Throat

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
Does anyone else have acid reflux along with the lupus? I feel like I have a constant lump in my throat. It is annoying and often difficult to swallow. Any suggestions? I am on medication but it doesn't seem to be doing much. :?:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi, don't know whether or not lupus can do that but know an enlarged throid can cause swallowing problems. Go to lupus foundation web site. They might be able to help answer your question and ask your Dr. To test your thyroid. One involves going underneath a big huge steel plate and having pictures taken, take some pill the night before, and have a throid scan done, painless and it might show enlargement also. Also blood work can tell whether or not your thyroid is working right. If you have reflux, yes it can cause swallowing problems. I had it for 30 years and finally had it operated on. Try talking to your Dr.
Hope this will help.
Leslie
ps the operation can leave you with esophogeal spasms
|

replied January 22nd, 2005
Re: I Feel Like I Have a Lump In My Throat
lwyswright wrote:
does anyone else have acid reflux along with the lupus? I feel like I have a constant lump in my throat. It is annoying and often difficult to swallow. Any suggestions? I am on medication but it doesn't seem to be doing much. :?:

yes I have acid reflux really bad, exspecially at night~! I also take a prescription for it and I cant tell it works..I have gotten to where I keep a pack of rolaids beside the bed and eat two be fore I go to bed.. Only because I have sleep apena too.. And if this acid reflux trys to come up and im asleep I wake up gasping for air..The last two times have really been bad..Took me a while to get my air going..And my throat was really sore afterwards..
As far as having a lump in my throat.. I dont have unless I have a allergic reaction to something I eat.. But I always have a dry mouth and never can get my thurst ..Fixed.. I drink and drink fluids .. But not enough water like I know I should.. I plan to change that soon..By drinking lots of water.. Water is very good for us..I found a web site the other night that says water cures everything.. So enjoy it..Hope you find some releif for your lump in ure throat..
Blue
|

replied January 31st, 2007
Not Uncommon
Hello,
i was told that the acid reflux was a result of the medication for the treatment of lupus. I have found that by taking my medication in the evening and after a rather large meal that I no longer have gerd. I was once dependent on medications such as prilosec, but now rarely even need rolaids. Drinking more water has also helped in the past or having a glass of milk before bed. It could also be certain foods in combination.
I wish you the best of luck.
|

replied February 5th, 2007
Re: I Feel Like I Have a Lump In My Throat
Heartburn symptoms can often be relieved if sufferers make a few lifestyle changes. Follow these ten suggestions to significantly reduce the occurrence of acid reflux symptoms.

Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
Large meals expand your stomach and increase upward pressure against the esophageal sphincter.

Limit your intake of acid-stimulating foods and beverages.
Eat foods that rarely cause heartburn and avoid those foods that will often cause heartburn.

Don't lie down for about two hours after you eat.
Gravity helps to keep the stomach juices from backing up into the esophagus and assists the flow of food and digestive juices from the stomach to the intestines.

Elevate your head a few inches while you sleep.
Lying down flat presses the stomach's contents against the les.

You likely could help prevent the ailment you are concerned about with rest, sound nutrition, and specific nutritional supplements as vitamins, herbs, and minerals to keep your body at its peek.

Betaine hcl is used in the treatment of gerd because it is a source of hydrochloric acid, a naturally occurring chemical in the stomach that helps digest food and break down dead tissue. Slippery elm can cause mucous secretions which help soothe the intestinal tract and may be benefit stomach and intestinal problems, a key factor in the treatment of gerd. Lactobacillus acidophilus encourages more efficient digestion. Vitamin b12 deficiency may be associated with poor digestion, and is therefore include in the treatment of gerd.

Ginger helps indirectly to relieve pain by reducing inflammation and by lowering the body's level of natural pain-causing compounds. Flaxseed contains omega - 3 fatty acids which might decrease lupus-induced inflammation and this be important in the treatment of lupus.

Do not take these statements as medical advice. If you think you may be in need of treatment, please contact a healthcare professional.
|

replied March 4th, 2007
Lump In Throat
have ''lump in throat as well,3 doctors said my thyroid looked swollen,but it came back negative . I lost A LOT of weight 5'9''-from 152 -104,no everything is fine! My husband was hit in the pocket book for the new clothes!Don't understand it ,I was happy with my weight(it's just a # for me) I certain wasn't trying to shed any lbs. Have they checked your thyroid?
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
are you taking folic acid?? my dr. is having me take that to prevent symptoms like that. I dunno if that helps. Im really new to this.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
This site also talks about...How Lupus Can Affect the Intestines?
It is proven that it can also esophagus,

health.ivillage.com/autoimmune/aulupus/0,, 6hdx,00.html

HERE IS THE LINK to my search it will lead to many sites

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz =1T4ADBF_enCA228CA228&q=Lupus+esophagu s%2C&btnG=Search

Good luck
|
Quick Reply