Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Celebrex -- Should It Be Discontinued ??

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
73, wm, 5' 10" 155 lbs, reasonably active, and have suffered joint pain somewhat in the past two years and my md prescribed vioxx, which proved to be ineffectual, for the most part, and was discontinued and a rx for celebrex was given.

Now, with celebrex on the hit list, I stopped it and began 2 bufferin a day, but they don't seem to help as much as the celebrex did, so I started back on the celebrex, one every other day, rather than one a day as prescribed, and the pain seems to be a bit less -- bearable, but only just.

One would think, after all the publicity, that one's md would get in touch with patients that were prescribed a cox-2, but I haven't heard from him.

And they wonder where malpractice suits come from. :?

Is there another proven treatment for joint pain ? ?

Thanks, leonard.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 15th, 2005
Think About It!
Dear leonard,

i use celebrex myself and it works wonders at times.
But as with any medication that you take you have to take it in moderation. If you have a headache you take tylenol or aleve, the proper dosage is 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours but noooooo, we tend to take about 4 pills at one time every 2 hr. Thats wrong. Yes, celebrex has harmed some people but not everyone. So if it's working for your good, then I say keep taking them but try em every other day instead of everyday.

God bless,
tia
|

replied March 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Celebrex
I take celebrex 200 mg twice a day. I feel comfortable with it. It is pain killer. I heard a lot of argument about it. I stopped it for a while but I could not quit it. I talked to my doctor she said nothing confirmed that it harm those who take it. I feel it is business issues. I return to it what can I do. Tylenol is not good to buy the one on the shelf your doctor will prescribed for you tylenol 3. This advise is from my doctor. I keep one in case of fever or headache.

Good luck
|

replied August 13th, 2005
Celebrex is an anti inflamatory I believe and not so much a pain killer. I take 400mg a day now for 2 yrs, without it I can't bear the pain. I have osteoarthritis now for 6 yrs, pain has now gone down in my tailbone, started in hips, celebrex helps the hips but does nothing for the butt!

Had an mri in july, doc says can't do anything for tailbone, think I need a new doctor.
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Imflamatory Response
When you inhibit cox-2 you can cause vasoconstriction. I think celebrex should only be given to very healthy people with no history of heart problems in their family.
|

replied October 20th, 2005
Drugs Bad!
Many people have noticed an increase in their rthritic pain over time and have to keep taking dtronger and stronger pain medication.

Pain is a signal from the body to the brain that something is wrong. The body requires something. Treating the symptom instead of the cause is worsening your condition.

I have a wondeful article, written by research doctors, on leaky gut syndrome that explains why your pain is chronically getting worse.

Believe it or not shifts in your dietary intake and adding some supplements to your diet can greatly reduce pain.

I was a chronic back pain sufferer for over 15 years. I now have no pain and take no drugs

if you want the article write me.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
pain
what is the article?
|