Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Denied Insurance Because of Previous Infertility Treatments.

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
I am in illinois, and currently on cobra. I am self-employed and I have been trying to obtain coverage for my family but I am being denied because previously I was being treated for infertility. Humana one and unicare have denied me. They quote..." we find we cannot offer membership due to history as indicated on your application for enrollment. The application history of infertility treated with lupron, hcg, prometrium, etc. Unfortunately our current medical underwriting guidelines prohibit us from offering enrollment to any applicant with the above history."

is infertility being treated like a terminal condition? Can this be happening? I am reeling, I never thought I would have to suffer the heartache of infertility, and now the anxiety of trying to obtain insurance.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 12th, 2005
The problem with infertility is the incidence of multiple births, miscarriage & low birth weights . . . All very costly claims not to mention potentially life-threatening to the mother.

You might find a carrier that will take you with an exclusion rider for maternity and complications of pregnancy. A lot depends on what il regs have to say. Some states will not allow a carrier to exclude pregnancy complications so that will result in an automatic denial by every legitimate carrier in that state.
|

replied August 22nd, 2005
Re: Denied Insurance Because of Previous Infertility Treatme
aprilmiller wrote:
i am in illinois, and currently on cobra. I am self-employed and I have been trying to obtain coverage for my family but I am being denied because previously I was being treated for infertility. Humana one and unicare have denied me. They quote..." we find we cannot offer membership due to history as indicated on your application for enrollment. The application history of infertility treated with lupron, hcg, prometrium, etc. Unfortunately our current medical underwriting guidelines prohibit us from offering enrollment to any applicant with the above history."

is infertility being treated like a terminal condition? Can this be happening? I am reeling, I never thought I would have to suffer the heartache of infertility, and now the anxiety of trying to obtain insurance.

You can get a plan through the state for yourself. Put the rest of your family on a individual plan. The problem you will have is that no matter were you go the infertility will not be coverd, but I bet you already know that.

Good luck
tony
thanks in advance.
|