Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Bad Cough

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi girls!

Has anyone had a really bad cough during their pregnancy? I started coughing on thursday and it was so bad that I went to the drug store and the pharmacist told me to take cough medicine. I have been feeling a lot better but every time I cough i'm worried that it's bad for the baby? I have none stop hard and loud coughs. They are less frequent though. Do you think the coughing can do any damage to the baby? I'm 12 weeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Girrly
|

replied January 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
I've got a pretty bad cough because of the cold I have. As far as I know it won't hurt the baby. I told my Dr. About it at my last appointment and he didn't seem concerned. The baby is pretty safe in the uterus. I do have slight pain in my lower pelvic region from coughing sometimes. Somebody else might have some other advice but as far as I know coughing won't hurt the baby.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I don't see how coughing would harm the fetus.. I think the only time it is vulnerable to anything you do is whenever what you are doing could cause harsh chemicals to get to it through the umbilical cord and of course if you are consuming something that could harm it.. Coughing is expelling.. Not taking anything in.. Chances are if your body is trying to expell it.. It's not good to stay in there and if it's not good for you.. Than it's not good for the fetus. Not all the time you cough.. Your body is trying to get rid of something.. (tickle in your throat).. As far as the pain you feel in the lower pelvic region..I think that is just your muscles contracting from coughing.. That's all that is..

I could be wrong.. I'm just telling you the best of my knowledge about this..
|

Experienced User
Thanks a lot for the help. Makes me feel a lot better :)
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
When you cough does it make your lower tummy hurt?
|

Experienced User
No, i'm not getting any pain from my tummy. I was just worried that the coughing could add some stress or something to the baby.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah I dont get any tummy pain per say but if I could too hard it feels like I pull a muscle it hurts like hell!
|

Experienced User
You are much further along than me. Perhaps the feeling is different when you cough loud. I can't help but hold my little belly each time...Just to keep the little one calm.

Isn't weird how we worry about the stranges things when we are pregnant.
|