Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

I always feel as if someone's watching me (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Well, I don't really know if anything's wrong, or if i'm just overly paranoid, so I figured i'd see what you thought...

I always feel as if someone's watching me. 24/7, wherever I am. Even this second I think someone is watching me. When I walk around at school, I feel as if everyone is staring at me, either judging or just looking. I can't eat in public because I feel everyone watching me as I stuff my face, and I fear I may chew weirdly. Whenever anyone is talking, I think they're talking about me and how stupid or immature or something I am. Whenever I go in a bathroom, I have to look into every mirror to see it's only me, and then look closer to see if it's a two way mirror. Depending on where I am, I check the closets and cupboards to make sure i'm alone. In public bathrooms, I have to make sure i'm the only one in there. And then I have this thing where I can't stay on the toilet for a long time or else something may come out of it... O.O and same goes for when I flush it. I feel I have to be out of the room before it's done flushing or something is going to come out and kill me. I'm also afraid of the dark. When the power goes out, i'll start screaming, then i'll run and wrap myself under a thick blanket and lie very still for however long it takes till the lights are back on or someone comes home. I can't seem to trust anyone either. Whenever I meet someone, I automatically think they're talking to me for kicks, or that there's some other twisted reason they're even coming to me. I can't help but think no one in this world actually would like me. For instance, my 'best friend' has a friend who has a huge crush on me. But in my eyes, it's my 'friend' trying to set me up with him so that he can take advantage of me, her at the same time, and in the end everyone would wind up laughing at me.

It's a lot more complex than that...I just can't really explain it. O.O and i'm just wondering if it's possible I have some sort of issue, or if it's just paranoria.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile crazyemo24
|

replied January 1st, 2005
I don't think I should be one to reply, since I don't have schizophrenia or anything... But I just thought I should give advice rather then tell you that you have a problem, which you obviously already know you have one.

I think you're just pessimistic :lol: you should try to stay more calm in situations. Relax.. Everything is going to be fine.. Just clear your mind. Hell, try out for yoga or something. You need a relaxing time during your day.

About the toilet thing.. Just remember - its never happened before. It most likely won't happen to you because you're thinking about it. This is how I usually control myself. In any horror movies, has the person who gets eaten by a monster actually think they're going to get eaten by a monster? No! So since you thought of it, its not going to happen.
Thats what I think, at least o.O it calms me down!

For boys, well, you just never know. I say its better to just stay away from them. But thats just from my experiences :wink:

good luck!
|

replied December 28th, 2008
omg
i feel exactly the same.
your not alone!
|

replied January 3rd, 2009
paranoid
I think i have paranoid schiziophrenia. Can you relate - share your experience of psychosis and paranoia?

I was so paranoid i thought my psychiatrist was sending people to follow me to test me so i couldn't trust him.

I realise i was ill now but is it too late to tell him. I tried to tell my nurse and social worker about paranoia but i strongly feel they don't believe me because i kept quiet for so long. they think i'm putting it on but i'm not.
|

replied January 19th, 2009
I hate this feeling!!! why me
I think I suffer from some form of paranoia. I can not speak to people without my face going red an in blauches all over my neck and face. I always think people are talking about me, looking at me etc.... trying to judge me or something. I am getting worse by the day and I feel there is no help for me. I cant eat at fast food restaurants cause I think they are going to drug my food. I went to the docter about this and he gave me some sort of antidepressant. I got it filled but I wont take them cause I am afraid of the side effects or that they might turn me in to a veggie!! Now I know I am crazy and It is really starting to freak me out. even just going to visit my mom or something I get all blauchy. God tell me there is help?? oh and I feel Guilty about everything. I dont know how my life went so wrong. Being classiphobic does not help either
|

replied January 19th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I'm a diagnosed schizophrenic. I have alot of these problems, like the whole people are talking about me thing. And when I hear somebody laugh it's just a horrible experience, it's sounds so evil. I've had the toilet thing to where i thought that something was in it, but if ya gotta go ya gotta go. With the people talking about me though, I did realize that if they weren't talking about me at that moment they sure as hell would talk about me in some way if they were to catch wind of me. Ya know, we may just be more aware than others, because people do that every freaking day, talk about others behind their backs, maybe it's that we're aware of their dark little hearts and what their capable of doing, and we can sense it or something. I think that you are just intelligent and aware. Because guess what, most people suck and are mean or actually do have alterior motives and would talk and laugh about me behind my back or to my face. I'm just aware of that, I can feel it. I think that paranoia is a sign of an intelligent or aware person, it can get a little out of hand sometimes, but it all boils down to somebody knowing that something is wrong and being aware, do ya know what im saying? When you become aware of how dark this world is and what is actually capable of happening this is quite normal behaviour.

P.s. I hate the dark, and nobody should be comfortable when the lights go out, you would have to pretty uhmmm, unaware to be comfy in that kind've situation.
|

replied January 20th, 2009
i get paranoid delusions as well
i start looking for cameras, convinced that my boyfriend is watching my every move
i get convinced that instead of going to work every day he's out having sex with other women
when i'm rational i know that these things are not true
but when i'm paranoid i'm convinced that they are true and i worry myself sick over it
|

replied March 19th, 2009
hey
I had a similar experience but now I am alot better. It has to do with stress and a betrayal type of thing. Has someone done something to you in the past that makes you insecure now? Have you done something in the past that you deeply regret? Once you find out what it is, you should forgive and learn from the lesson. Whether it was your fault or anothers, forgiveness is always healing.

Please listen to this song by,
India , Arie- Wings Of Forgiveness
( Listen to it like its speaking to yourself.)

Ive realized that people that suffer from a type of paranoia or anxiety are very kind and compassionate people. You should notice this about yourself and see that you can become a much greater person.

You should really work on something you are interested that progresses and which would be constructive. Remember, NASA started with a philosophy (first steps), science started with a philosophy (first steps), we do everything from philosophy..., what I mean is that if you put your visions into practice, that is how EVERYTHING came to be since man kind existed. A journey starts with the first step. Take that first step of forgiveness and if you dont need to forgive then take the first step to say that you deserve to not be insecure. We are all people with the same wants and needs, why do you have to suffer?

Sorry for the rant but I know how being paranoid feels.

"When the rain and clouds pass us by, the most beautiful sunshine always follows."
|

replied June 20th, 2009
This is amazing! I have schizophrenia. i was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder but everything you guys are saying is exactly what i experience! I was just out with friends and i wanted to throw my glass at every person at the table because i thought they were talking about me! And the whole "I think people only talk to me to get their kicks" is what i experience. and the whole when you hear someone laugh it sounds evil. I even thought that the posts by other people were taking the piss out of me! yes im quite sick at the moment but at least i know whats going on now. it makes it a little easier. wow
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I have the exact same feeling/reactions all of you do, but have any of you ever gotten the feeling that if you take one step you will be stuck and anyone can come from any angle and strike you?

P.S. I have never been diagnosed with anything this is the reason why i am asking.
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2009
Experienced User
moondawning said:

"I have the exact same feeling/reactions all of you do, but have any of you ever gotten the feeling that if you take one step you will be stuck and anyone can come from any angle and strike you?

P.S. I have never been diagnosed with anything this is the reason why i am asking."

I have been diagnosed as a paranoid skizophrenic, and i feel exactly the same way. If im in a room with mirrors, i try to back against the wall so i cant see myself in the mirror, because the voices tell me that if they see me, they will hurt me. I also sometimes feel as if someone is in the room with me at random times, so i back into a corner and stand up tall. I should be starting on meds soon,so im hoping these will stop this feeling and the voices
|

replied September 26th, 2009
schizo or not
definitely aint the only person in that boat but I think my paranoia is a reality! I know I'm been followed and the people I did trust, I don't no more, only my family! ever since people found out Im gay, they been different towards me, plus I was messed up on drugs and one my mates done a few years prison which I always feel I have been wrongly accused of grassing him up!, these people who I say follow me, have been around my college, waiting in the bus station whilst I there, in and around the pubs and my so called friends seem to believe Im a rat so they try to set me up, only I feel as if I can be one step ahead but Im only waiting for a bullet in my head, and at that that sounds like a quick death compared to what it could be if I was foolish enough to party with people and get myself in a situation where I can't get out!
this really does sound like schizophreia but I guarantee you its been made feel this way! someone would have to get the blame for a kilo of cocaine and someone has to pay the price for it, just too many little coincidences tallying up for me to ignore, I seem to have a good gut instinct! and always rely on it. I am not suicidal and I wouldn't dream of doin anything like that to my family, I don't take medication and I think I feel more alert without medication so I will carry on this way because I dont know what else to do only grin and bare
|

replied December 4th, 2009
hi I'm sorry about what your going through I can understand how you feel. For about two years now I believe my looks have changed and I have become ugly (im a 17 yr old boy btw) and every girl that looks at me will find me distusting. Although my family say im good looking since im tall, tanned and thin. However I always see something strange about my face and always have to look in the mirror and be confident enough to go out everyday to school. Ive only got one close friend, I've ever had a girlfriend and I think everyone hates me, observes me and laughs about me cos I'm a loner and lack self confidence. I never have the courage to look at girls cos I believe they wont look at me and that will make my confidence worse.
So your not the only one with this problem, my advice to you since im going through a similar problem is to relax and dont give a **** what other people think. I know its hard im tryin to do this myself Smile
|

replied January 9th, 2010
hi i use to have the same problem you all have,i am living in paris ,and i use to feel like people are looking at me and they are talking about me, it is difficult to live like that every day,our energy goes to that,but my advice is that ,you have one life and and this the life you have no one gives you, God bring you here because you are special individually ,stop thinking what other people may think of you coz,we don't know what goes to other people's mind,even if we know the personality of the person,we don't live by the thought of others ,we live by our own,the people they talk about others,think that they have problem in their life too,and avoid to hear the little voice that came's while people around you talking,concentrate on other thing ,and go out often in public and ,communicate with the people you know ,be positive, while people are very negative with u,to live free,don't be afraid for the judgement of others,if you don't face the problem,that's how u think there's problem with you, if you can, pray ,every morning before you go out, think it is all in mind,
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
paranoid or not
i know how you guys feel. im always looking over my shoulder every few mins. i HAVE to sleep at night with the lights on cause i FREAK OUT if they are not on. i always think somethings gonna grab me in the dark. for me THERE IS NO COMFORT ZONE AT ALL! i cant stand the toliet thing the sound just scares me to death. i run out of the bathroom so fast. i hate going in public yet i hate staying at home. either at home or somewhere else i have to always put my feet up on the chairs i feel as if someone or a cold hand will grab my ankle if i leave them down O.O *shiver* i hate it exspecially at night. i dreampt the other day that i was asleep in my dream and a cold and furious hand grabbed my ankle and shoulder picked me up and threw me on the bed and i was screaming crying and sweating when i woke up O.o i tend to talk and scream to myself i mumble alot and i icolate my self from EVERYONE. i just dont have trust for anyone else anymore. I HATE SOCIETY.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
I feel the same way!!
I went to store the other day and got a feeling. I was looking at people walking around and wondering if someone was going to pull out a gun and start shooting. I feel like knowing how cruel this world is makes me paranoid. I can't trust anyone. I get red in the face too with anxiety. I can relate to the evil laughs. I feel like I'm an intelligent human being and 90 percent of everyone else is a puppet person. I do have feelings for people though because I get teary on sob stories. I'm on disability for bi-polar 1 severe with psychotic features. I think we are so insightful of what this world is, we drive ourselves to insanity. I feel like a wild animal backed into a corner. We are wild animals who are trained to be civil.. Were just the most intellegent mamal on earth.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Experienced User
I think that the guy behind you is staring at you right now!!!!
|

replied July 31st, 2010
RE:Whoops.
WOOPS i totally agree with ya bud,I've gone through the same stuff my hole life. I've always known wen people back stab me, I end up doubting myself and feel bad for standing up for myself for beinbg questioning and confrontational n thinking I'm tripping, then after days of thinking bout it get so pissed off with myself becuase I didn't listen to my gut. I don't consider myself schizo or delusional but just hav a knack of knowing wen people decide to bring me down in order to make themselves feel stronger. I consider myself incredibly loyal and hounarable to my friends but find this almost is a weakness as people easily take advantage of my trust. My mother is basque and my father is malaysian chinese and i live in australia which honestly is a beautifal place with many good people but racism and violence is growing imensley and noticed it cos i had a different upbrining to everyone else. I hav a powerful build, bigger than a 85% of 28 yr old males i see and just seem to find that poeple luv to back stab because I am so straight forward n wot u see is wot u get plus they know I will Pyshsically obblitarate them if they had enough ballz to say it my face. The human race is not cruel by nature i think but is growing more cowardice and poeple hav lost there heart.I can not understand why this is but is definatley the trend of today. The more defenencless the target the better. Grow some !**@! ballz and say it to there face or u don't hav a right to say it! Andrew
|

replied August 14th, 2010
please help ?
hi im a 13 year old girl and what im thinking right this very moment is; wow. i think i might be getting this too , of course not as severe but every time i go to the toilet i either dont flush because im too scared, or i press myself flat against the wall until all the sound is gone. when i wash my hands in the bathroom i stand to the side and do it, because im scared someone will come up from behind me. i absoloutley can NOT watch horror films. i get scared for months and months, i can always see the faces in my head and i get horrified that theyre in my cupboard, or underneath my bed.whenever i get scared or frightened i go short on breath and sit in a corner, because that way i can see everything else in the room and i can see that its actually okay, that no ones in there with me. i jump everytime someone knocks on the door, and when i have to be home alone, i sit in this one chair in the corner for as long as it takes, even if im hungry im too terrified to get up, for someone might be waiting for me. if i find out someones been talking about me, i get upset for weeks, when with my society they do the whole 'i dont care what other people think about me, im me and im not going to change for anyone.' i really do try and believe that but it never works Sad has anyone experienced this ? or they might know what this actually is ?
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2011
heyy im just like you and i only feel safe at the back of my bd by the wall or with my back next to a concrete wall. i am prone to fireing digs at people becuase it makles me feel like i am getting revenge for them talking about me behind my back. whenever i have to do anything upstairs i sprint across the landing to my romm, sit there for 2 mins and then do what i was asked to do. whenever i go to the bathroom i check the bath becuase i think there is sum1 in there waiting for me. i always shut the blinds when i change even though the house behind me is abandoned an derelict. when i am alone i stay in one room and try not to move or make noise. so far i have only found one thing that stops it and that is brick breaker on my bb. if u have one try it because it makes you focus and it you take your focus off it you loose a life. hope this helps xx
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
This is absolutely hilarious.

We all feel separate, individual, so when someone is being talked about we usually feel as if it isn't us being talked about.

But in almost everyway it really is you being talked about. Not to mention they are even talking bad about themselves usually and don't realize it.
|

replied October 5th, 2010
PARANOID
1) I always think someone is going to kill me, even my roommate.
2) I am very afraid of death and always think that I am going to die.
3) I am sometimes scared to go out to public food places because I am afraid that the employers are going to put something bad in my food or drink.
4) If I talk bad about someone or talk about a person behind their back, I am afraid they are going to kill me.
5) In class sometimes, I worry that someone might pull a gun and start shooting.
6) I worry that someone might change my medicine behind my back or they put a bad pill in my Advil bottle.
7) I am CONSTANTLY worrying about my health. For example, I worry about dying from a brain tumor or swallowing something dangerous such as a chemical.
Cool I always check underneath my bed and in my closets to make sure no one is there. Sometimes, I even have to put a chair up against my door so if someone comes in while I'm sleeping I will wake up.
Mostly, I worry about death, dying and being killed by someone. This has started last year, I was never like this before and I hate it. I always get these crazy thoughts in my head and I obsess over them. I can't stop thinking about them. However, I DO NOT hear voices in my head. If anyone has these same problems please reply! Smile
|
12 >>