Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Cyst Near Spine

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
My sis was having a severe back pain and the doctor asked to take mri scan.

In that incidentally they have loacted a cyst at end of spine and the report says it could be one of the following

cystic neuroma or
perineural cyst or
arachnoid cyst

i am in us and very mych worried to hear all these. Please tell about the nature of these cysts and how to treat to eradicate it completely.

Since she is now treated for spine disc problem using traction, doctor had advised her to wait sometime for the cyst treatment.

My sister is 18 years old and studying engineering.Will the treatment affect her
education?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile NICKIS
|

replied January 14th, 2005
Cyst On Spine
A question was asked in dec. Concerning the person's sister who has a cyst on her spine. I have not seen a reply, but am very interested in knowiing more about this issue. I've been in a lot of pain for over a week, and have received two different opinions from two doctors. My husband took me to the er this past mon. After we noticed a lump next to my lower spine, which we thought might be the reason for the extreme pain in my lower back. My primary doctor wouldn't see me until the next day, which is why we headed to the er. I can not sit......Another reason for not waiting till he could get me into his waiting room. X-rays were taken, and I was told by the doctor he didn't 'think' the cyst was the reason. He sent me home with a script for percicet and told me to rest in bed (which is where I had been for a week. He said to follow up with an appoint. With my primnary doc and have the cyst removed soon. I did see my doc the next day after he called requesting I come in. He gave me a muscle relaxer also. He said 'don't worry about the cyst', it's nothing to be concerned about. My body has produced several cysts on various organs, all of which have been removed in the past. I am concerned and very much in pain. Neither medicataion has helped the terrible pain whenever I move. Please someone help me decide what action I should now take.
|

replied April 1st, 2005
Re: Cyst On Spine
angelbearsusan wrote:
I am concerned and very much in pain. Neither medicataion has helped the terrible pain whenever I move. Please someone help me decide what action I should now take.

hi angelbearsusan,

have you asked your pcp for a referal to a surgon? I suffer from serious back problems as well and have found this first operation to be mostly successful. Surgons are much more willing to do studies such as mri and cat. While I don't know if a cat scan will help I do think a mri will. They are very detailed.

Take care of yourself!
Mike
|

replied March 4th, 2006
the Same?
I've also got something happening at the bottom of my spine - it seems to be growing, and it's hard. I have been waiting to see if the pain would go away or deminish over about 4 months - I can cope by sitting on my sit bones, but if I sit flat it hurts. Does this sound similar to anyone? I'm going to see a doctor next week.
|

replied May 14th, 2007
Surgery On Spine
I have a cyst in my spine and there is no way I would have it operated on.

They keep "coming" back and if you do a search on syringomyelia then you will know how unsuccessful they are.

I would not do any kind of surgery if it's a cyst in my spine unless it's popping your vetebrae or all kinds of problems. Just do a google and research it yourself.

Catherine
|

replied May 27th, 2007
The important thing is to find out what type of cyst it is, and if it is compressing any nerves.

A syrinx (syringomelia) which was mentioned in the previous post, is only one kind of inoperable "cyst". However if the cause of syringomyelia can be identified, that cause may be operable, to the collape of the syrinx. Syringomyelia can be a paralysing and life-threatening condition.

-Paula
|

replied December 15th, 2007
Cyst
I have been having back and leg pain for years and this past year has been severe enough to use crutches. I had an MRI(which the hospital did as a charity case) done on my lumbar spine that showed a herniated disc but with no pressure on my nerve to cause the pain. The neurologist was very short with me, did NOT go over the MRI with me and sent me on my way as I have no insurance.
In the past, over 20 years ago, I had a small cyst removed from my lower buttocks, that was several inches deep, close to my tailbone. It caused me so much pain I could hardly walk or sit.
The pain I am having now mimics a spinal nerve being pushed on.
My boyfriend felt the inside of my vagina and said there is a large hard lump or growth on the backside. I am thinking it is another cyst and has grown so large to cause me much pain and have lost my sensitivity. I have also had problems with bowel movements, almost like I have an obstruction. I also now have a swollen gland behind my left knee.
Could a cyst being growing in between the two? I am in pain 24/7 and it is getting worse. I'm not sure what to do as I do not have insurance and have been turned down because of my other medical problems. Any ideas out there?
|

replied December 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. I know all to well about multiple health issues.
Have you contacted your state department of social services? They can help you find clinics, doctors, etc to help you get the care you need. Someplace's will provide services at no fee others work on a sliding scale fee.
If I'm not mistaken the law states no one can be denied health care even if the person doesn't have insurance.

I have a friend who is going through this same thing with cysts forming all over the place, the last I heard was she needs to see a surgeon.
Best Wishes Smile
|

replied June 4th, 2008
wath is a syrinx
|

replied May 12th, 2009
SEVERE LOWER BACK PAIN
My sister also has severe back pain. They too found a cyst they say is not the problem-I disagree-check out the TARLOV CYST FOUNDATION-there is help and anwers from doctors there, they found these cysts to cause severe pain-treated patients with success-GO CHECK IT OUT
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Cyst on spine
I have 2 cysts within my spinal cord in the neck section or cervical spine. IT is called syringomyelia. The cysts are known as syrinx "sear-inx". This is a rare condition. I have numness to heat and pain. Some ppl are debilitated, but i am very fortunate that it does not interfere hardly. I have not had to go under the knife. I told the neurosurgeon that i'd pass on the spinal surgery.I can cope with this, but not with a slip of of the knife and paralysis.
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2010
CYSTS??? OR WhAT?
I at this point feel hopeless! I have fibrocystics (however u spell it) disease. Which causes lots of cysts on my breast and ovaries. Which are at some points painful, but I didn't think that could spread! Months ago I started hurting really badly under my ribs and in my back. First they said it was my gall bladder, then apendix, then kidneys. An MRI and CAT were done and another cyst was found under my ribs. I have no insurance so I guess that makes me NOT important. I was told that the amount of pain I was in couldn't be caused from that but no one has any answers as to why I am hurting CONSTANTLY! It feels like I am sleeping on baseballs at night, and there are spots on my back that is so painful to touch, it also hurts sometimes when I breathe in deep, like my lungs are catching on something (that only last a minute or so but it is excruciating) I am 22 years old and it hurts to get out of bed most days! The place that is causing me the most pain is toward my back between the ribs and kind of crunches when I rub over it and throbs when I touch it! I NEED ANSWERS, some help ANYTHING!!! if anyone has any advice or answers I could really use some help, I don't want to hurt ANYMORE!!
|

replied November 10th, 2012
I know what your going through i cant find a dr to prescribe me anything. Ive been having back problems since i was 13, have had 2 failed surgeries and a spinal fusion. I now have 3 cysts in my mid back the pain is horrible, exactly how you explained. My drs here in nebraska think im a "drug seeker" because im 18 with tattoos. No one will believe or even help for that matter, around here, ive tried every thing from ice to heat to every otc and prescription nsaid. The only pain medecation that has ever helped this disgusting pain is 12 hour time relese Opana.....
|

replied November 10th, 2012
I know what your going through i cant find a dr to prescribe me anything. Ive been having back problems since i was 13, have had 2 failed surgeries and a spinal fusion. I now have 3 cysts in my mid back the pain is horrible, exactly how you explained. My drs here in nebraska think im a "drug seeker" because im 18 with tattoos. No one will believe or even help for that matter, around here, ive tried every thing from ice to heat to every otc and prescription nsaid. The only pain medecation that has ever helped this disgusting pain is 12 hour time relese Opana.....
|

replied March 13th, 2013
My wife went to a naturopath and she recommended Iodine, two drops in orange juice one a day for a week. The lumps in her breasts disappeared. Also told her friend and worked for her also. haven't come back yet, been 12 months.Doctors told my wife either drain them or there was nothing they could do. Good luck
|

replied March 4th, 2010
CYST?
Am having the same symptoms as most people above, started with a painful back getting worse, went to GP and they also gave me muscle relaxant, went to physio but they couldn't do anything as my joints were ok, lump seems become bigger at evening time when am getting tired. First visit to GP at end of January and we are now March, still have to wait 5 weeks to see consultant and still having a painful back. Taking lots of medicines (baclofen, diclofenac, codeine, you name it...)and nothing seems to help. Hope consultant can sort this out as am fed up walking around with this pain.
Don't know why everything has to take so long?
|

replied August 30th, 2010
Spinal Cyst
I play a lot of golf. Had severe lower back pain so I rested the back for a month. Then, while the back pain went away, the sciatica started (pain running from my buttocks to back of thigh, knee and occasionally as low as the calf. Had an MRI last week. I have a cyst that is apparently pushing on the nerve. Dr. says best to take ibuprofin (800mg) 2x or 3x daily. If that doesn't work I can get a shot (cortisone steroid I suppose) and that would help in 90% of cases. If not, surgery is the last option. For the moment I'll stay on the ibuprofin and see if I can live with the morning pain until my first 800mg kicks in.
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2011
I started getting bad pains in my side and lower back L side..I went to hospital and they did an xray and told me my bowels were full..They gave me an enema and sent me home..2 wks later I was back even worse than before..This time they did a ct scan and found a mass on the lining of my lung near my spine..It is about the size of a small orange and as grown a bit in 1 month..They are talking about taking it out and am told it will be chest surgery and a major one at that cause it is sitting on nerves..I also have to see a neurosurgeon beforehand..I am very nervous about this surgery as they also told me that if they hit a nerve I could be paralyzed..
|