Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Can't Take a Deep Breath (Page 1)

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
I have the same problem. I feel like I can't take in a deep breath and be satisfied. I went to many doctors. They said they can't find anything wrong with me. One said my throat will spasm and close, and that's why I feel short of breath, but I don't feel that my airway is blocked. I am in the same boat that you are.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Richard Friedel
|

replied November 16th, 2003
Experienced User
I've had asthma for 4 and 1 half years.I take a inhaler every night and day it is called advair Rolling Eyes sooooo it does keep me from asthma attacks but I can't play in any sport or take a good deep breath so all I can recommened is advair.
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Asthma is a chronic lung disease that inflames and narrows the airways. It causes recurring periods of wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing. Some common causes for asthma are allergy, genetic disorder, environment, stress, etc. The yogic practices which help in managing asthma are Locked Hand Raising Pose (Bandha Hasta Utthanasana), Sun Salutations (Surya Namaskara), Hare Pose (Shashankasana), Camel Pose (Ushtrasana), Double Angle Pose (Dwikonasana), Fish Pose (Matsyasana), Abdominal Breathing, Alternate Nostril Breathing (Nadi Shodhana Pranayama), Frontal Brain Cleansing Breath (Kapalbhati Pranayama), Nasal Cleansing with water (Jala Neti), Short Intestinal Wash (Laghoo Shankhaprakshalana) and Psychic Sleep (Yoga Nidra).

Rishi,
Yoga Teacher,
Divine Wellness,
Delivering yoga at your home.
|

replied November 20th, 2003
Taking a Deep Breath
The following trick may help. Insert a finger into your mouth between your lips so that in points into the mouth. Leave a small gap between the finger and your lips. Now inhale through the gap so your cheeks are pulled in a bit. This should give your diaphragm a kick and get it going to get a deep inhale. Hope this helps, richard friedel
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Thanks !! So simple and yet so effective. I don't have asthma/illness but the inability to take a deep breath was uncomfortable. This worked so well and so fast.....Thanks Again
|

replied November 20th, 2003
Experienced User
Thanks..I'll give it a try next time Smile
|

replied November 30th, 2003
I went to the doctor 3 wks ago for a sinus infection and bronchitis. About a week ago I really got to where I had trouble breathing. Everytime I do something I breath real hard. It can be making up the bed, taking a shower, I don't care what. He diagnosed it this time as reactive airway disease. I have never had any asthma problems. I was tested last year for asthma and did not have it. Now he wants me to go to a cardiologist tomorrow to make sure its not my heart. My ekg shows borderline myocardial ischemia. I know its not my heart but I don't know what it is. He gave me 6 days of prednisone and while it has helped the coughing some I still get out of breath. Ideas anyone?

Be kind to yourself
Smile becky
|

replied February 14th, 2014
i was having trouble breathing, had a lung cat scan, heart ultasound, nothing, told doc i thought it may be a virus, he gave me some heavy duty antibiotics and the last two days i have been breathing better and better. i think it was a virus. cannot check for a virus, just have to treat it.
|

replied December 1st, 2003
Experienced User
I'm betting it is probably just the reactive airway disease. Normally I don't really notice a problem with it but anytime I get a respiratory cold, the rad kicks in and it takes me twice as long to get over it. I think the rad just prolongs whatever the problem is (ie, bronchitis) and it just takes longer for you to get over it. I had bronchitis last thanksgiving and it was well into january before I finally got it all out of my system.
|

replied December 1st, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I am back from cardiologist. He doesn't think it's my heart either but he is having me come back for a echo thursday morning. He says he has known patients being short of breath after bronchitis for 2 months. He also had them run a lot of blood tests. My reg doc is just real cautious. I knew it wasn't my heart cause I still felt like I was running a low grade fever on the way over there today. I've never had rad before and its not fun. Sad
|

replied December 2nd, 2003
Taking a Deep Breath
Years ago I took singing lessons Surprised and was taught to breathe using my diaphram. This means when you breathe you extend your tummy and don't push out your chest. I had to actually practise this by watching my tummy stick out when I breathed in or put my hand on my tummy and feel it stick out.
Another thing you can do is what I often do now is take a deep breath and hold it as long as you can. This seems give you time to get more oxygen.

Hope this helps. Rolling Eyes

maxum Laughing
|

replied January 2nd, 2004
Re:reply to Maxum
Smile thanks for all that useful information richard. The link at
'http://www.I-breathe.Com/thb12/incentiv.H tm' was very educational but the other links didn't work on my computer.

There you go floridagirl Wink

seasons greetings to all.

Maxum
|

replied January 3rd, 2004
Taking a Deep Breath
Hi maxum,

yes, the upshot of good diaphragmatic breathing seems that to be that if you are feeling short of breath you can breath as hard as you like without provoking an attack. Regards, richard friedel.
|

replied November 25th, 2004
Deep Breath
I have had this problem on and off for years. I will go for hours and sometimes all day without being able to take that deep rolling breath that feels so wonderful. I will end the day extremely tired and with a headache. It is exhausting and frustrating. It will happen for 3-4 days straight sometimes and others only last a few hours. I am also convinced it is stress related. Although I do not consciously feel stressed, I have every reason to be with my job and children and responsibilities and am probalby subconsiously stressed. What do you think?
|

replied November 29th, 2004
Experienced User
I'm not sure if its stress related but i've wondered that myself. I noticed sometimes when it happens its when i'm on my way home from work so stress seems like a possible answer. It was interesting to hear you say that it sometimes just lasts hours and then sometimes it last days. That exactly what happens with me too.
|

replied December 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
Anxiety attacks make it hard to breathe. You may want to get on that forum and talk to some people. They may be able to help you better as well.
|

replied May 1st, 2011
Hi I couldn't take a deep breath until my asthma was treated properly
|

replied January 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Im 13 and last year at one of my cheerleading practices I couldnt take a deep breath I felt sort of like you did, and I started to shake a lot and uncontolobly like I was really cold but I wasnt. An ambulance came and took me to the e.R and the put me in one of those oxygen masks because my blood oxygen count was only at 79 instead of 100. I went to a few doctors and got an ultra sound of my heart they all were like we dont know what it could be and the last doctor just decided he would call it an anxiety attck wich I dont think it was. No matter what I say the doctors wont check me for asthma and its happend a couple more times at cheerleading. Any ideas? :?:
|

replied April 20th, 2005
I have the same problem with not being able to take a deep breath. It's not that I can't inflate my lungs - it's that at the end of the breath, I don't feel my throat expand properly like it does at the end of a good full yawn. When this happens, I try to make myself yawn but I just can't get that full expansion. I too have been unsuccessful in getting a diagnosis from doctors. I was tested for asthma but don't have it. I will have this sensation for hours at a time and it's been going on for years. I'm 27 y.O.
|

replied April 21st, 2005
May be you should try saltpipe. It is not only for asthma. It is for cleaning up your lung and prevent you from pollution. Taking breath difficulty is caused by pollution nowadays and in europe, they used to go to salt cave for the treatment of breathing difficulty.
|

replied June 24th, 2005
Breathing Issues
Hey erica, I have the same problem and have had it going on 2 years now. I was tested for asthma, which came back negative, they gave me the inhaler anyways, but it doesn't help. They gave me prevacid for gerd, which was great for the hearburn, but didn't touch this. They had me do a nuclear stress test, which came back normal. They checked my blood for abnormal thickness and for polycythemia vera (sp?) which came back negative. One thing i've noticed with my problems is my position when sleeping, if I lay on my back or left side, they seem to kick in with a vengance, if I lay on my right side, I can at least fall asleep. I read on another forum dealing with this, that one guy tried this stuff called bronkaid, which seemed to help him. I've yet to find it in a store where I live though, so I may just order it online (which I just did with the salt inhaler) i'll let you know how it turns out. This has to be the most frustrating illness i've ever had, due to the uncomfort, inconvenience and the inability of physicians to help. I'm pretty sure it's not life threateningor anything, but man is it a pain. Have you noticed any increase in the amount of mucus in your lungs since it started? I seem to have an increase. My problems actually started with a strange cough I got when I went to hawaii for my honeymoon, if I sat there with my mouth open it sounded like pop rocks. I was treated with antibiotics, and it went away. About a week later is when this all started. I thought about asking the doc for something that is supposed to break up congestion in the lungs, ill probably do that next visit. What are the specifics on when your problems started, anything strange happen at that time? Sorry if these are personal questions, I just want to get to the bottom of this and be done with it.
|

replied July 17th, 2005
Breathe Deep
I cough alot and when I try to breathe deep I really cough. It feels like I tremble in my chest or lungs, or spasms. Do you know anything about this and they say asthma?
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Same Problem
erica56 wrote:
i have the same problem with not being able to take a deep breath. It's not that I can't inflate my lungs - it's that at the end of the breath, I don't feel my throat expand properly like it does at the end of a good full yawn. When this happens, I try to make myself yawn but I just can't get that full expansion. I too have been unsuccessful in getting a diagnosis from doctors. I was tested for asthma but don't have it. I will have this sensation for hours at a time and it's been going on for years. I'm 27 y.O.

gosh, I have exactly the same problem. It only started today when I was at school and I just couldn't take breaths. At first I thought I ate too much or my skirt was too tight. But it got worse later at night. Whenever I try and take a deep breath, it just stops at the top of my lungs and no matter how hard I try, I can't take the breath. If I really push it, my head would feel like it's going to burst. I can't even yawn cos my chest just goes so tight. I don't know what's wrong with me, my parents think it's my asthma and tells me to take my inhaler (which I have already, for 4 puffs), it's not helping at all and I know this is different to asthma. I can feel it deep in my chest and at the top of my lungs. I want to go to the doctor but don't know how to tell them exactly. This feeling makes me feel like i'm going to die, it's so scary.
|

replied August 7th, 2011
same
wow i feel the EXACT SAME WAY like im goieng to die or wish i would just die because its so uncomfortable and painfull. I have asthema and it is not my astma i also took the inhaler and it dose nothing! i somtimes feel like suicidel because of the pain this is causing
|

replied August 7th, 2011
same
wow i feel the EXACT SAME WAY like im goieng to die or wish i would just die because its so uncomfortable and painfull. I have asthema and it is not my astma i also took the inhaler and it dose nothing! i somtimes feel like suicidel because of the pain this is causing
|

replied August 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
if your inhaler is not working it is probably empty, do u know how to tell
u put it in about 3 inches of water and it needs to point down by a minimum of 50 degrees and anything higher or more flat tells u it is empty
do u take corticosteroids as they are the FIRST line of defense for Asthma
good luck
|

replied September 17th, 2011
The great news is you can get help. I recently spent 9 days in the hosp. I have never experienced so much stress over breathing as now. I have learned that my inability to take a deep breath is manageable so long as I don't panic during an episode. I panic and then a snowball effect takes over making me believe I'm dying. I too think about suicide. But don't go there, believe there is help and there is. Ask your doctor for anxiety medication. That helped me and when a breathing problem came on I could give a hoot because I felt relaxed no matter what. That will buy you the time to learn how to control your breathing and your anxiety.
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Experienced User
I have the same thing

- for a few days a month I get this tight feeling in my chest like I dare not take a deep breath cause something bad will happen, it feels tight and as if there is always some air left in my lungs after exhalation. I also feel as though to be able to speak I have to tense up my stomach or else I don't have enough energy. Bizarre.

I am suffering under stress and post traumatic stress disorder but this only happened intermittantly so I am worried about it. My doctor didnt even blink when I described it to him, I might have to get a new one!
|

replied March 10th, 2012
This technique worked
Try the technique above in this post. I could not take a deep breath because of pain and like you said 'something bad may happen'.

The technique is put your index finger in between your lips and teeth but only slightly going past your teeth, and leave a bit of room between your lips and finger and take the deepest breath possible a few times and eventually the pain went away for me and I could immediately take a deep breath again normally!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Leonard J. Grossman
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov