Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Bumps On the Back of My Tongue

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Two weeks ago, I noticed large bumps on the back of my tongue. It feels like they may go down my throat a bit because it is sore. Also, the tip of my tongue is very sensitive and has little abrasions. I have seen 3 physicians about this and they are all still "pondering" as to what it might be. The first doctor gave me valtrex, thinking that it might be cold sores in the back of my throat. The valtrex did not work. A week later I went to see another doctor, who called a colleague in to take a look also. We are trying gelcair oral gel and clotrimazole tablets 4 times a day. I have been using these for 3 days, but still not relief. Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 18th, 2004
Not to scare you, but I had similar problems about 1 1/2 years ago. The doctor could not figure out why my tongue was swelling, sensitive, and looked like the taste buds were swollen. He sent me to an ent, who said it was acid reflux. The problem continued and I started getting skin lesions. Anyway, my doc sent me to a dermatologist who immediately identified the problem as lupus. I take meds that mostly control it, but I have to watch what I eat. Just having something the least bit spicy will bring on a tongue problem. The dermatologist said it was fissured tongue and her books say it is not painful (lies!). Anyway, that was the first sign of my lupus (which I had not even considered or known anything about) and you might ask your doctor if that is worth looking into. There are also other conditions of the tongue like geographic tongue, etc.

If you have any other questions that I might could help with, please let me know! Feel free to pm or use the board!

Good luck...A nasty tongue is not a bit fun....Sympathy is sent your way.
|

replied March 16th, 2014
I have this same problem, it's been 2 and a half days, I had severe acid reflux and tried everything. However that part is getting under control. But the throat irritation and cluster of bumps are still there. And my ear is starting to hurt on the same side as the bumps.

Can the acid create these kind of bumps? Will the go away?!!
|