Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Immune System

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
During pregnancy I read that the immune system is weaker and has a hard time fighting off some illness. When I read up on it it seems that the concern is where the food poisioning lies. I also read that there is another part of the immune system humoral immunity is stronger. Does this part of the immune system fight off the flu? I hope to god it does because 4 out of 5 ppl in my friends family including a pregnant women all got sick over a week ago it seem to just be a get sick feel better kind of thing. Last night my little girl was up all night getting sick and then my husband woke up and got sick and he's still sick. My little girl seems to be doing better. Does anybody know if hurmoral immunity fights off these types of virus's. My stomach feels weak but I think its from being around it all night. When I had a nap and woke up I felt fine. I"m not that hungry though.
Can anybody help me out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not sure, but I got a flu shot when I was pregnant. I don't know with the flu shot shortage and all that and your family is already sick so it wouldn't help now. But see if you could get one to protect you for the rest of the cold and flu season.
|

Experienced User
I really probably should get a flu shot. I now feel like if I eat anytihng i'll get sick. I'm just sticking to water and flat ginger ale. Do you think that if I don't eat anything and just stick to this it will pass and I won't get sick. Throwing up is the worst thing in the world. I actually have not had the flu since I was 7 years old. My immune system is very good but it seems this virus is very strong as my husband is pretty much the same way as me and he isnt doing to hot.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Also stay drinking plenty of fluids.. That will help as well. If you cant eat food try something small like graham crackers or fruit or something. They might have the stomach virus it can last up to 72 hrs. Good luck
|

Extremely eHealthy
girrly wrote:
i really probably should get a flu shot. I now feel like if I eat anytihng i'll get sick. I'm just sticking to water and flat ginger ale. Do you think that if I don't eat anything and just stick to this it will pass and I won't get sick. Throwing up is the worst thing in the world. I actually have not had the flu since I was 7 years old. My immune system is very good but it seems this virus is very strong as my husband is pretty much the same way as me and he isnt doing to hot.

i don't think anything is going to prevent it if it's already in your system. In the future the biggest cold/flu/whatever preventer is handwashing. Germs get in through our nose and eyes so washing hands helps prevent the spread of them when we touch our face. I have taken care of my sick girls and never gotten since b/c I did lots of handwashing (and lotion too for those dry hands Laughing ). Also, i'm not sure what vitamins your taking, but I always take extra c, even when I was pregnant. You really can't get too much, whatever you don't use, your body just disposes of.
|

Experienced User
Thanks girls.

I called my brother who is in medical school and he said by the sounds of it that it might not be the stomach flu and it might actually be food poisioning. My little girl got sick 10 times in 3 hours. And my husband is getting sick quite a bit as well. He said that usually when you get the stomach flu it isnt that bad. When I told my husband he said he thought the same thing because he's had the stomach flu before and he said this felt worse we can also pin point something they both ate that I did not (thank god). My brother said that i'm probably thinking about it too much and that is why i'm not feeling well. I hope he is right. I'm going to call to see when I can get a flu shot though. Hopfully its not the stomach flu and I am imagining feeling sick. The little one is feeling much better this morning.

Thanks again girls
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
girrly wrote:
thanks girls.

I called my brother who is in medical school and he said by the sounds of it that it might not be the stomach flu and it might actually be food poisioning. My little girl got sick 10 times in 3 hours. And my husband is getting sick quite a bit as well. He said that usually when you get the stomach flu it isnt that bad. When I told my husband he said he thought the same thing because he's had the stomach flu before and he said this felt worse we can also pin point something they both ate that I did not (thank god). My brother said that i'm probably thinking about it too much and that is why i'm not feeling well. I hope he is right. I'm going to call to see when I can get a flu shot though. Hopfully its not the stomach flu and I am imagining feeling sick. The little one is feeling much better this morning.

Wher in canada are you?? Certain places are having probs with their water. I caught a bloody cold waiting for the bus yesterday to go to my office party --bah !

Thanks again girls
|