Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

Heart Flutters And ? Menopause. (Page 1)

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
Hi there, i'm new to this forum and am looking for answers.

I have been getting heart flutters (palpatations) and racing pulse on and off for quite some time now. It was suggested by a friend that this maybe related to menopause.

I am 42 yrs and have possible minor early or pre menopausal symptoms for the last year. These include the odd hot flush of a night, heavier periods where as I used to be quite light, forgetfulness (very) and headaches. As I said these are only minor and only occur about once a month.

Has anyone heard of this before (the palpatations)? I'd like to hear from you if you have please.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper scarred62
|

replied January 22nd, 2005
Heart Flutters
I am experiencing same symptoms and since i've been reading different forums on the internet I do believe that these are all related to perimenopause since so many others are having the same symptoms.

Sometimes it feels like my heart flutters or quivers, sometimes I feel a thump, or sometimes it just makes me jerk all of a sudden. But they all last just a matter of a second or two. It is always scary when it happens and you wonder what's going on. I have been getting more use to it and it doesn't freak me out like it did at first but it still makes me a little anxious.

My periods have gotten heavier too and the Dr. Told me I was low in iron which can be because of the heavier periods.

Hope this helps some. I know it helped me just knowing that others were having the same symptoms.
|

replied September 1st, 2012
PMS and FAST HEART RATE
Hi I feel the way with my heart. It is very scarey to me. Up to a week before my period I start feeling my heart fluttering skipping beats and it beating rapidly. I hate this feeling and I am only 42. I wish I could find a doctor who doesn't think I am a woman just being crazy!!! This is a real condition that needs more attention from our doctors...... Does anyone know what I should do for help??? Thanks gmv19026.
|

replied October 17th, 2012
answer to menopause and heart racing
Hi. I started my palpitations in 2008, just came on suddenly. Saw my Dr. and then, to rule out any heart disease etc, cardiologist gave me cardiac tests. I was 46. Didn't have any major issues, some high blood pressure, but Dr started me on a drug to control palps and flutters and bp meds as well. I still see him and have told him I believe it's a direct correlation to menopause or pre-menopause. I could often feel my ovaries cramp during ovulation and then I would have a flutter or palp. Very weird. My family Dr is more in tune to the correlation. Over time however, the palps have decreased. Still on the meds but also now I'm on replacement estrogen and progestin for severe hot flushes etc; but now having more palps. (Or so it seems) So it's a bit confusing that if menopause is a drop in estrogen/progesterone and causes palps, then wouldn't replacing those hormones help the palps? I understand how you hate the feeling. Insist your Dr run some test to rule out underlying cardiac issues. Then decide with him if he thinks meds will improve your quality of life. As i was told, we all have palps and flutters from time to time. Find a dr that understands the correlation. Good luck and don't worry too much chances are your heart is healthy and this will pass or can be treated.
|

replied November 15th, 2005
Heart Flutters And Perimenopause
I am 46 and have been experiencing heart flutters for about a year to a year and a half. I have spoken to many people that say this is due to perimenopause. My doctor also said that the change in your hormones can cause it. It is very scary because I get them a little more than I used to. I do believe that anxiety doesn't help which comes from being so hormonal also. My doctor even put me on a holter monitor for 24 hours and the cardiologist said that the flutters i'm having are normal. Hope this helps.
|

replied December 3rd, 2005
Palpitation And Menopause
I am 47. I think I wasn't that lucky. My period only started irregular since july 05.

Begin at last year sep 04, i've chest tightness. Went to er, saying was nothing wrong. Feb-05, cardio said i've a fib. Start taking medicine. Very unwell. Could be the med side effect? Period sometime 2 weeks in one month, some month non and some month just light brownish discharge. Last month taught was back on line. This month seem ..... Anyway is not right! Pap smear result ok. Palpitation is still going on and not ok. Do anyone know it has to take how long then can settle? Driving me maddddd! My mum and the surrounding friends said is menopause. I've off the med. Now i'm in the wait and see situation.

Seem every dr move their focus to the "heart" and no one cares for my menopause. Has any one talked to your gp about the period irregular? What is the follow up? Just wait and see? Or tell me how to solve it? Thanks.

Pika.
|

replied April 19th, 2006
Is Something Wrong Or Am I Going Through Something "nor
I'll be 34 this year and have 3 children. I've had a lot of strange things going on in the last year. Some months I have small periods, others I have long, heavy periods. Now they've come early and late. The pms is crazy!! I don't sleep as well any more. During pms I get hot flashes. My heart flutters a lot more at that time. I feel tired all the time!
Is this something, as women, we "deal" with it or when do we know when things are serious enough to see a doctor?
I'd love someone else's opinion on this!!
Shirleyt
|

replied April 27th, 2006
I am a 51 year old women. Two years ago a what I call a ticking started in mychest near the breast bone, since then I have had sharp shooting stabbing pains that take my breath away I begin to sweat and almost pass out. I have been to the er 4 times with this its not my heart then came crippling pain in my back and neck this is consant. I have had mri ct scans no one knows whats wrong with me does anyone have these similar pains with out explaintions . I really house bound and in fear that these pains will happen while i'm driving.
|

replied November 27th, 2011
I have had the exact same problems, i have had 4 ekgs, and a ct scan all come back normal, i am also house bound, and i'm in constant pain in my ribs, back, chest, neck, and shoulders,and having a hard time breathing i have sent over $9,000.00 on test to find out nothing, next i'm doing the stress test on the treadmill,I have no insurance, so i often wonder if the Drs r even telling me the truth because they don't want to mess with me, i also get chills sometime, please help, i don't know if i should go back to the Dr. r not!
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Wow, I just turned 51 a few weeks ago and you sound like me. It seems that every day for the past two years I experience something else. I have gone to the er a few times as well and I don't have insurance. They don't find anything and the doctors know nothing. I hope that you are doing better today and I hope that you still use this forum.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2012
Scarred 62, i am having the very same problems as you, also have no insurance, and also feel like the Dr's just don't want to mess with me, i have been hurting in the legs too, sometimes so bad i can't get out of bed, i have been told that it's post menopause symptoms, also have the fluttering in my chest, i have had 5 ekgs, ct scan, endoscopy, all kinds of blood test, and they have not found anything wrong with me, it is very scary, and makes you feel like crap all the time, i hope post menopause is all it is, if you get any answers for your problem please let me know, i have spent $12,000.00 out of our pocket trying to figure this out, my problems all started after carbon monoxide poisoning, i was really lucky to have lived through the carbon monoxide poisoning, but my life has totally change since then, my health has really gone down hill! Hope you find out what's wrong,and get to feeling better, i know exactly how you feel, and it's no fun!
|

replied June 25th, 2006
jberger5 wrote:
i am a 51 year old women. Two years ago a what I call a ticking started in mychest near the breast bone, since then I have had sharp shooting stabbing pains that take my breath away I begin to sweat and almost pass out. I have been to the er 4 times with this its not my heart then came crippling pain in my back and neck this is consant. I have had mri ct scans no one knows whats wrong with me does anyone have these similar pains with out explaintions . I really house bound and in fear that these pains will happen while i'm driving.

you may try asking for a motility test ...Sounds very much like a problem I have ..A spastic asophucas (spelling?) but it is very painful ....(not the test)...Brings tears to my eye.. Good luck
|

replied June 25th, 2006
Re: Heart Flutters And Perimenopause
lvirishdance wrote:
i am 46 and have been experiencing heart flutters for about a year to a year and a half. I have spoken to many people that say this is due to perimenopause. My doctor also said that the change in your hormones can cause it. It is very scary because I get them a little more than I used to. I do believe that anxiety doesn't help which comes from being so hormonal also. My doctor even put me on a holter monitor for 24 hours and the cardiologist said that the flutters i'm having are normal. Hope this helps.

so glad to hear it's jusyt this peripause stuff ...Sometimes it's scares the h*** out of me ..
Thanks
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You might be starting into menopause! I had mnne starting after my complete hysteectomy, it is a good idea to get this checked out and at least it will be some relief to you and it could be something else!
Good luck!
|

replied June 25th, 2006
sandyallen wrote:
you might be starting into menopause! I had mnne starting after my complete hysteectomy, it is a good idea to get this checked out and at least it will be some relief to you and it could be something else!

Good luck!

yes ..I am definetly in peripause ..Hearts been checked it's about the only thing in my body that's working right ;) but I am having surgery in 2weeks for ovarian tumors and my hormones have been way off for a while now ..Having a total hysterectomy and will be in full blown surgical menopause soon ..Here no hrt is given (toronto) so it will be interesting to see what other ailments pop up ...This is all still a cake walk for me ..Had 27 operations to rebuild my legs and that I considered to be tuff ..This is just annoying ..
Thanks for answering ..All the best to you lex
|

replied January 17th, 2008
a LITTLE LATE
I am a little late in the reply....a year or so. lol and I see noone is writing anymore but I am glad I found you. I have all of the above symptoms....back pain....tuight tripzius with pain into my jaw when I carry heavy things./....total anxiety (I am a medical translator...so reading all the symptoms really doesn't help me much....it gives me anxiety). Periods are irregular....missed 2 within a year....irritated as hell all the time and ready to break someone's neck! Horrible!
|

replied January 17th, 2008
a LITTLE LATE
I am a little late in the reply....a year or so. lol and I see noone is writing anymore but I am glad I found you. I have all of the above symptoms....back pain....tuight tripzius with pain into my jaw when I carry heavy things./....total anxiety (I am a medical translator...so reading all the symptoms really doesn't help me much....it gives me anxiety). Periods are irregular....missed 2 within a year....irritated as hell all the time and ready to break someone's neck! Horrible!
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Palpitations and Menopause
I am 56 and have had heart flutters, rapid heart beat on and off for the past 10 years. Have wore heart monitor 3 times, EKG's and Echo Cardiogram on my heart. All return reports indicated no problem. I have always associated these problems with menopause, but still it scares you so much during these episodes. The rapid heart rate has not been a problem in years, but the heart paplitations still come every once in a while. Sometimes is can be months, then all of a sudden they appear again. Even though I know what it is it does not make me feel comfortable when it happens.
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Hi Rosella, there is help for what you are experincing, I too have been menopausal for 15 years, the problem is called SVT, it started three years ago, and I ended up in the hosp.with heart palpitations, sweating. Talk to your dr.they can send you to see a specalist,they will prescribe medication for the problem, it really helps. the cost of the med. is minimal, but you have to take it all the time.Good luck. trini.
|

replied April 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Honey, I am not comfortable when it happens to me either...BUT, it has been here with me for at least ten years...I, too, have been checked out...I asked the doctor recently during a physical, if it was my heart that I heard at night when it was quiet in the room?....It is like I could hear the valves...He said yes...It is at rest...I was just about afraid to ask him this....All the joys of life... Rolling Eyes

Thanks again for letting me know that I'm not the only one...

Hugs,
Caroline
|

replied September 24th, 2011
Heart Flutters
Ok well, I have started having heart fluttering very bad...started at first when I would go to bed, but now its during the day too..(all day) constantly! Dont know what is going on! I am only 40 yrs old. Could this have something to do with menopause? I dont have no other symptom just that and it scares me badly, although I am right with Jesus should something happen, but I also have 3 small children who need me. When does this menopause thing start? At what age? I dont feel bad or anything when it happens though (no tightning or pain). Does anyone have this heart flutter constantly all day?
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Something you'll want to be sure to do based upon your symptoms is totally avoid caffeine and see if this helps. Try stopping for a week or two if you drink caffeine presently. Things that can help are also drinking plenty of water throughout the day, avoiding MSG, preservatives, things like that. Supplements that can help are a good omega 3 fish oil and magnesium glycinate capsules. Not all magnesium is created equal - don't waste your time on tablets or magnesium oxide. I like the glycinate as it's very easy on the stomach but very effective. Magnesium helps calm and helps. I take 300 mg of the Solaray Magnesium Glycinate twice per day. With three small kids I am sure you are exhausted all the time and also may have some stress - both of these things can contribute to heart flutters, skipped beats, heart palpitations. Also food sensitivities can cause issues like this as well so you may be senstiive to something you are eating. Food sensitivities don't just manifest in stomach issues - you could have no stomach issues but have heart palpitations, headaches, feel tired, have a runny nose, etc. What you'd want to do first is make sure you are getting a good night's rest and cut out the caffeine (if you drink it). Do this for 2 weeks. If that does not help, then start taking the 300 mg of the magnesium glycinate 2 per day for 2 weeks. See if that helps. Then after 2 weeks, add the fish oil, etc. The reason you want to space the different things out is to give each thing a chance to work to see if you can isolate the problem, or the thing that works best and makes a difference. Also read about blackstrap molasses - that can be very helpful, too, but make sure to get the organic, unsulfured kind. I mix a tablespoon or two in with a glass of heated milk - it is delicious and full of potassium, I believe, which can also help with things like heart palpitations. Good luck!
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Remedies to help heart palpitations and flutters.
Something you'll want to be sure to do based upon your symptoms is totally avoid caffeine and see if this helps. Try stopping for a week or two if you drink caffeine presently. Things that can help are also drinking plenty of water throughout the day, avoiding MSG, preservatives, things like that. Supplements that can help are a good omega 3 fish oil and magnesium glycinate capsules. Not all magnesium is created equal - don't waste your time on tablets or magnesium oxide or magnesium carbonate. I like the glycinate as it's very easy on the stomach but extremely effective. Magnesium helps calm. I take 300 mg of the Solaray Magnesium Glycinate twice per day. With three small kids I am sure you are exhausted all the time and also may have some stress - both of these things can contribute to heart flutters, skipped beats, heart palpitations. Also food sensitivities can cause issues like this as well so you may be senstiive to something you are eating. Food sensitivities don't just manifest in stomach issues - you could have no stomach issues but have heart palpitations, headaches, feel tired, have a runny nose, etc. What you'd want to do first is make sure you are getting a good night's rest and cut out the caffeine (if you drink it). Do this for 2 weeks. If that does not help, then start taking the 300 mg of the magnesium glycinate 2 per day for 2 weeks. See if that helps. Then after 2 weeks, add the fish oil, etc. The reason you want to space the different things out is to give each thing a chance to work to see if you can isolate the problem, or the thing that works best and makes a difference. Also read about blackstrap molasses - that can be very helpful, too, but make sure to get the organic, unsulfured kind. I mix a tablespoon or two in with a glass of heated organic rimilk - it is delicious and full of potassium, I believe, which can also help with things like heart palpitations. Good luck!
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
I do. I had an anxiety meltdown in '99 so when i started with occasional heart flutters in 2002 at first i thought it was from that. 5 yrs later i went thru menopause and the flutters got worse. i still have cramps & sore breasts & then i get flutters. So now I know they started from perimenopause, not the anxiety meltdown and are continuing throu meno, which they say can last 10 yrs. But it was 1 day a week or so and I took xanax and after an hour they'd subside. For the last few months I have had them EVERY DAY, like you. I am going to Dr. Thursday to see if he can put me on an axiety med. that yuo can take every day & won't get addicted to, like xanax. At least until menop. is over. I live alone and am so scared all the time & how do you explain this to people who don't know, it's so freaky. wish i had anxiety support group to call.
|

replied August 17th, 2009
symptoms
I should join in now... it's 2:25 a.m. and I've just experience one of those heart beat attack. I woke around 12:50 and my heart just started racing. I have had these for about 10 years I think and I'm 48. Tonight was just awful, I almost went to the ER, it lasted a good 15 min. Symptons along with the rapid heartrate were tightness in the chest and throat and weakness. Took a cold washclothe for my neck, face and upper-chest and arms and eventually the symptoms subsided. I still have soarness in the upper back but that usually goes too. Wow... that is unreal.. the instenses are quite distant, it must have been a few months since my last one, which usually last 5 to 10 minutes. This one lasted longuer or it seemed longer cuz you never get used to them and they always seem new and different. The joy of being a woman.. I tell you. Thanks for this forum, it really help calm me after this last one.. Smile
|

replied November 12th, 2009
fast heartbeat after hysterectomy
Hi,i am 14 weeks post total hysterectomy, and although my symptoms are not quite as bad as they were,i still have the racing heart and palitations. They first started a week after surgery and i was absolutely petrified,my heart would suddenly beat very fast and i could feel it in my neck and throat,and the first time it happened i begged my husband to call for an ambulance,i have had little help from my doctor as he as put it down to stress,i am prone to stress but i just knew that it wasn;t all down to stress. Thank god for the internet and sites like this one as it is a real help knowing that i am not alone.
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2009
Community Volunteer
These can drive you up the wall...You swear that you are going to have a heart attack...I, too, am prone to stress...And you are right about the Internet...It is a Godsend to many of us who do not know the true "fact of health life"....Four years ago I was a baby...Now I stand and walk.... sunny ..Thanks for the memories....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied November 15th, 2009
PALPUTATIONS
hi Iam 54 went thru my change at 50 horrible flashes palputations angxiety tiredness.The hot flashes are less but the heart palps came backI wentto ER last night every test ok .Today I ate good and got enough fluids and now at 10 pm started palputations again . Its really scarry. GG
|

replied November 15th, 2009
anyone have any advice? it does nt seem normal is the heart itself doing this or is it something else > Ihave also had heart monitors 2x GG
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Thank god for the internet and the aNSWERS THAT YOU GET....the comfort you feel from reading about what has terrified you, to understanding that this happens to everyone at this stage in life. Sometimes I swear Im a goner and Im trying to decide who gets my house and what s gonna happen to the pets, but its just part and parcel of menopause. The heart quivering is not a good feeling thats for sure and even though its explained away by saying its hormonal at least its not the death knell. NOt this time anyway. Ha ha.
|
12 >>