Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Spleen Pain... (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Back in july I began to have a pulling sensation on my left side, I thought was just a pulled muscle since i'd been working out a lot and didn't think much of it. The pain lasted for the rest of the summer and into the school year, it wasn't constant, but annoying. Then at the beginning of october I was diagnosed with mono and was only out for about two weeks before I returned back to my routine activities. I felt like my regular self except that I was tired and the pain on my left side had become more frequent. Then about a week ago, I started to feel exactly like I did in october when I first got mono, so I went back to the doctor. He told me that it was not possible for mono to come back and it was just a viral infection that brought out the same symptoms as mono. I'm feeling better now; however, now the pain on my left side has gotten really bad, it keeps me up at night, it hurts to stand up if i've been laying down for awhile, it hurts to walk, it even hurts to sit. It's also spread from within my lower left rib right down to my wait and across to my lower right rib in a sort of l-shaped fashion. I was wondering if it's possible that my spleen is behind all this and if anyone else has this kind of thing for this long too? Does it seem normal that its been sore for over 5 months now? Thanks a lot everyone
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shylilly
|

replied December 30th, 2004
Experienced User
He told u it is imposible to get it back? Its a disease that is in your body for the rest of your life. It doesnt just go away. You may never get the symptoms again but its still there. I had cortisone tablets for my splein and liver and also liver tonic ( a herbal tablet). If its still hurting id go to another Dr. I went to my dr and she said it was a viral infection and to come back in a week by the next day I thought I was dying. I was in alot of pain and very very tired. Id go get it checked out asap
|

replied December 8th, 2007
Spleen Hurts
I been having the same pain on the lower left side of my ribs for 3 months now. I feel a a little weak and have lost 5 to 8 lbs. It hurts to when I take a deep breath in. I have gotten a ultra sound and just got a CT scan on 12/7/07. I will have the result by 12/10/07 on the CT scan. I will keep you posted on my result.
|

replied April 10th, 2008
Sean- I'm curious to know what the outcome was of your CT scan. I have the same problem with pain when taking a deep breath. I've only had the pain for about 3 days now, but it's making me nervous.
|

replied April 10th, 2008
(this is for health angel) mono doesent stay forever i just had it and it goes away but the virus that causes doesent (epsin barr)
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Spleen Pain
Ok so in October 2006 i was diagnosted with mono. This year, well actuall this month I was diagnosted again...i've been on bed rest for about a month now...i get sharp spleen pains....i could handle it, it doesnt hurt that bad but i get the pain everyday. I noticed it feels a little weird when i take a deep breath...i've told my doctor, i've mentioned it the three times i've seen her this month but it doesnt phase her. Its like she has a "lets wait and see" attitude and i dont know what else to do. Im considering a new doctor.

I'm young and athletic...and i just want to get back to being normal...healthy enough to work out. I've been taking vitamins and doing everything possible so i wont get sick, i've literaly changed my lifestyle...im still getting sick tho. N-e advice????

Will removing my tonsils help get rid of mono??? Write to me if you know, PLEASE!!! Smile
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Spleen Pain
This message is for JenJet. Are you still reading this forum? I'm doing some research for my 17 year old son. He was diagnosed with mono 12 weeks ago. He started to feel better so he went back to working out. He's a football player and faithfully lifts weights, runs and works on agility. About 2 weeks ago what he thought was his spleen really started bothering him again. I took him to his doctor and the doctor thought it was more of a muscle pull in his core. My son is still convinced it's his spleen. I took him to a sports doctor and the doctor also thought it was a muscle pull. My son is going for an ultra sound today to find out what it might be. Anyway, the similarities between you and my son are that you are both young, athletic and had been diagnosed with mono. Are you over it yet? What else have you found out? Was the pain from your spleen? I'll post more once we get the results from the ultra sound
|

replied May 9th, 2008
Spleen Pain
My son had his ultrasound yesterday on his spleen. The ultra sound showed that the spleen was normal and that everything else they could see on the image looked fine too. His doctor felt that once again, the pain is from a muscle pull. He said it takes a minimum of a month to heal. No lifting weights...at least heavy weights. Light weights might be o.k. He also suggested 2 alleve twice a day.
What made this pain difficult to diagnose is that my son has had mono within the past 4 months. I guess he just had two bad things happen to him and they are not related.
|

replied February 13th, 2009
my left side right under my ribs has been hurting for over 5 months now and my doctor seems to think im either having growing pains or i have migranes in my stomach. personally, i think that i have a spleen problem, but when i mention it to my doctor she says i cant because my blood tests came back normal. What is wrong with me?!
|

replied May 20th, 2011
just because your blood test is normal doesnt mean your spleen is ok i have had a enlarged spleen for over 2 yrs now and all my blood work has came back normal and healthy
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Pain under rib cage
Could it possibly be a cracked rib? I've read that a person can have a cracked rib and an X-ray might not show it. Just a lit if pain every time you breathe. Did you have a fall & hit the ground hard? Cough really really hard for awhile? Get hit by some force? Car accident? Sports injury/ impact? (just a thought).
|

replied March 9th, 2009
spleen enlarged for ~2months after (wrong?) mono diagnosis
hi emmaleigh,
did you figure out what you have?
i had a throat infection in january and was diagnosed with mono. i was pretty tired for about a week and then all the symptoms pretty much went away.. except that three weeks later i went back swimming one day and i started feeling a weird pressure on my upper left abdomen during this time.
i realize it could be a torn muscle but i really don't think it is. i really think its the spleen.
i know spleen enlargement is a common effect of mono but it has been ~2 months now and i still feel pain in the spleen, and no other symptoms. it doesn't get better or worse if i go swimming. its usually better in the morning and then gets worse during the day.
it feels like something is rubbing against my ribcage from within, around where the spleen is.
also, that side of my ribcage seems to be protruded with respect to the right side.
anyways, its all consistent with spleen enlargement and it has lasted for more than 2 months now.
can anyone provide any info?
thanks,
m.
|

replied March 24th, 2009
spleen
I am 37 just told ihave mono about a month ago. Just had the flu twice, now seems like i have mono again. stomach feels really full and i have not been eating alot. Left side hurts under ribcage . when i laugh it really hurts. underarms feel very tender. anyone feel like this?
|

replied March 26th, 2009
me too!
Hey everyone. I had mono about a yr ago.. and I have been contracting infections ever since.. My immune system is pretty much shot, and I have had this pain on my left side under my ribs. When I had mono, my spleen became inflamed as well.. It still hurts and I also had Candida ..
|

replied March 27th, 2009
yes, i have HAD mono TWICE
HI!! I CAN DEFF FEEL YOUR PAIN (LITERALLY!!!) The first time I was diagnosed with mono i had it FULL blown and took me TWO MONTHS to recover.. my doctor at that time assured me not to worry you only get it once.. WRONG!!! Less than a year later I began having the same problems, went to a different doctor and i had mono... AGAIN!!! I asked my new doctor how this was possible and was told this time "there are different forms of mono". This was 4 years ago, I am now 23 years old and STILL have the spleen pain. Im not sure how old you are, but I was told that after the age of 25, you just can't get it. **im keeping my fingers crossed!!!**
|

replied April 25th, 2011
Mono
Yes you can get it after the age of 25. I am 39 and this is my 3rd time getting it! I had it in the 5th grade, once in Highschool and now at the age of 39. Not fun! Good luck to you.
|

replied April 25th, 2011
Mono
Yes you can get it after the age of 25. I am 39 and this is my 3rd time getting it! I had it in the 5th grade, once in Highschool and now at the age of 39. Not fun! Good luck to you.
|

replied April 9th, 2009
Under left rib cage pain
I have been feeling the same, very tired, somewhat hard to breathe at times when I overexert and that means sometimes jsut standing too long or walking brisly. It hurts whenever I turn a certain to my right or get up from laying a long time and just feels like a constant pulling sensation under my left rib-cage. Like some obstruction or something is there.
I had a chest X-ray done a couple weeks ago, but it came back normal. I also had acute bronchitis a few weeks back. Wondering if that contributed to it. The drs. told me I probably bruised my rib cage, but it's going on 3 weeks and I'm not getting the phlemn or constant coughing anymore or not when I had the bronchitis, just now this pain in my left side going on 3 weeks. It bothers me when I walk, sleep or do anything really physical or even not-so-physical. Would a chest X-ray show an enlarged spleen. Or would I have to have other tests to show that. What do the drs. recommend for that - surgery to remove the spleen or medicine? What have other drs. recommended if it is your spleen. Just wondering. I'm going back to the drs. tomorrow and I may suggest this to see if it could be my spleen.
|

replied May 4th, 2009
Spleen
Did you know that consuming Splenda or Sucralose caused a 40% reduction of the spleen in the rats it was tested on.

Do you know that many people who have eaten Sucralose complain of being dead tired.
If you are eating products with Sucralose- STOP and your symptoms will disappear asap, hopefully.
Sucralose is also known as Splenda. When you get better, write M. Gold and let him know your symptoms when you were eating it and how they stopped afterwards.

Facebook Group- "Say NO to Aspartame and other dangerous 'foods" and glarstout on YouTube.
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2009
JenJet
no, removing your tonsils will not get rid of your mono. i had mine removed about 5 years ago and i was diagnosed with mono just this week.
|

replied May 12th, 2009
Mine hurts like a bruise and actually feels painful and swollen (below the breast right where the rib is that hits right above the stomach!) I can't take this pain anymore.. stupid dr's.. one I went to in '94 said I 'might' have had mononucleosis. I am tired as if I never slept, every single solitary day since 1994 and before. Left side does feel more swollen than other side, like fingers have been pressed into my skin. No dr. is able to help. One told me 'if you had an infection that long, you'd be dead'. All symptoms of low grade constant infection: The yellow pleghm in the morning, no coughing, though did have terrible bronchitis repeatedly in the past. Can anyone above tell me what dr. said?
|

replied May 16th, 2009
my remedy for swollen spleen
I've had severe pains under my heart for the past couple of months. Having had a heart problem in the past, I at first thought that was the problem. But the pain did not go away with any of the herbs and exercises I learned to do for heart problems. My fiance has been at my house lately drinking the well water and has had digestive problems, which also preceeded by pain. I am getting better by drinking cayenne soaked in hot water and taking oregano capsules. I believe the well is contaminated with bacteria which has caused my spleen to enlarge. We boil the water now, even to brush our teeth. There are also some homeopathic remedies I will look into but cayenne pepper is cheap and easy...you can buy it off the spice shelf at the grocery store.
|

replied May 19th, 2009
Spleen pain article I found helpful
Hello,

I am new to the forum, (stumbled across it via Google today, once I figured out that the only organ in that sector is the Spleen), and have been experiencing the same symptoms for about 5-6 months now.

I suffer from extensive back problems, (from motorcycle and auto accidents when a bit younger and dumber), and have aches all over, but other than the issue with the spine, have never had Mono, (33 years old now), and have never had any of the various pains last this long.

~J.D.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Mono
Message for Armysis,

I'm 30 years old, and I was just diagnosed with Mono 4 weeks ago. The spleen pain comes and goes. Like you said, it's ok in the morning but towards the evening the pain is pretty severe. Does anyone know, if while we have mono, can we still go for walks? I'm training for the half marathon and would like some advice.
|