Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control And Hypothyroid

Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
I have some questions about birth control. As soon as I got married earlier this year, I was recently diagnosed with hypothryoidism. The doctors still haven't gotten my meds regulated, and I didn't want to start birth control until I know more about hypothyroidism. I have been told that an underactive thyroid can make it hard to conceive and i'm wondering if anyone knows if birth control meds would effect my ability to have children later considering my thyroid problems. Also, I have read so much about all types of bc, and basically am overwhelmed. I don't know what is best for me, and I don't know how to go about getting bc. What do I have to do to go on the pill? Can my regular doc just prescribe me something or do I have to get an exam? Right now my husband is on deployment with the military so I am wanting to take my time and make the right decisions while the bc issue isn't urgent. Any advice someone can offer is greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper becky24
|

replied December 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hey.. I also have hypothyroid.. I have had it my whole life and I take levothyroxine for it. I am on depo and so far I haven't had any problems with it that I know of.. I have heard hypothyroidism can mess up your chances of conceiveing and needless to say I have never gotten pg after a year on the depo and I didn't even get pg on the withdrawl method. If you want to get the bc after you figure out what is best.. Just go to planned parenthood and they will walk you through it and probably will give you advice.
|

replied December 30th, 2004
You can go on the birth control while being hypothyroid. I was on birth control when I was diagnosed a couple of years ago and the same doctor prescribed me both medications. The only thing is that birth control pills might effect the absorption of your thyroid meds. All that means is that you might have to take more levothyroxine when you are on the pill. Now coming off... That's another story. My body is wreaking havoc and i'm having a hard time differentiating between hypothyoroid symtoms and withdrawal symptoms. But that could just be me as I also had a hard time adjusting to the pills when going on them in the first place.
And (now that i'm reskimming through the original post) your regular doctor can prescribe you bcp but you need to get an annual pap smear just to make sure everything's aok.
|

replied January 21st, 2005
Hi...I also have hypothyroidism.I have had it since I was 11 which is for about 12 years now.I have never had trouble conceiving.Actually it only took me 1-2 months to conceive after I stopped my birth control pills.
|

replied March 13th, 2009
Hi, im 20 and ive been on the pill for 8 months now and ive had hyperthyroidism for over a year. I recently had a radioactive iodine treatment for my thyroid but it failed and now im stuck with hypothyroidism, and no thyroid gland cause it has destroyed itself. So i was supposto get my period this week but its been 3 days and i still havent gotten it. There seems to be a lot of white discharge, and a ton of lower back pain and cramping, im thinking this cannot be pregnancy as we do use condoms and i take birth control. So either the egg is implanting or my period is playing hide and seek?
|

replied March 17th, 2011
birth control while having a hypothyroid
I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism since i was 12. My mom told me I couldn't go on birth control, but I think that was just her way of saying I wasnt allowed.. :/ I'm 19 now. and I really dont want to mess up and get pregnant, i use condoms, but i want to be super safe. I heard that having a hypothyroid can and cant cause conceiving issues. Also missing a few pills can cause your period to be late. I've never been regular unless i didnt miss a pill. sometimes ive been up to 3 weeks late! I try not to stress so much if I'm late, but I'm always worried. I just hope I can find the right birth control
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2011
Hypothyroidism and birth control
Does any body know if while taking yasmin birth control and getting pregnant then my baby was born with it have any thing in relation?
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2011
hypothyroidism and OCP
i had hypothyroidism and i discovered it when i was investigating for infertility for 1 year and i found out that I am hypothyroid and when i took the eltroxin i concieved and i have 2 babies now thank GOD but I need to know how to take pills and which kind I am using yasmine now but I need to know if there is any problems or precautions ????
|

replied April 9th, 2013
I am 17 will be 18 on may 15th.. i just was told today by my doctor that i have under active thyroid. i have an apointment on the 26th for birthcontrol. but i dont know which to do i dont want to mess up the chances of me having as i have high hopes for kids in the future... i was told for my age i can do the pill or the depo.. i dont want to gain weight and not take any chances of not being able to have kids.... any advice please!!
|

replied August 23rd, 2013
Thyroid, BC, Conception
Hi,

I am now in my 50's. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) at 19 and was put on levothyroxine (synthroid), I went on BC at 21 and I have never had any problems with the pill, thyroid levels or unwanted pregnancy.

When my husband and I decided to have children, I went off of the pill and became pregnant within three months. Same with our second child, although she took a little longer to conceive (possibly because of #1 being in the picture Smile)

I have never had a miscarriage, difficulty in conceiving nor had anyone tell me that I may have problems conceiving, I'm not sure where this information is coming from? Perhaps this is something they have just discovered recently, but it's news to me. I understood that it would only affect conception if the thyroid issues were untreated.

Good luck to you all, I hope this information helps. Smile
|