Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Keppra

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Is anyone on keppra and have you had good results with it I have heard that it works great with few side effects just wanting to know thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper misguidedangel
|

replied October 31st, 2003
Experienced User
Keppra
Hi, I was on keppra and hated it....But, everyone reacts different...For me I got sooo depressed and had no appetite and couldn't sleep at night, no matter what....I don't know why, but I didn't have all this with being on any of the other meds............Are you on it now??..
|

replied November 1st, 2003
Thanks for your advise and no I am not on it right now,but was thinking about it because I am on dilantin 6oo mg a day and it doesnt seem to do any good and I hate the side effects.
|

replied November 1st, 2003
Experienced User
Keppra
I had bad side effects on dilantin too, like what happens to you?....I am currently on neurontin and it has the least side effects for me..I take 1200mg a day and still have seizures............. Surprised
|

replied October 22nd, 2005
Iam On Keppra
I have been on keppra for 7 yrs my doctor put me on keppra because I was having grand mal seizures and it works great for me I havent had a grand mal seizure since I have been on keppra.I try dilatin and I had a bad recation to it.There is someside effects but all medications do.I am 17 know.
|

replied October 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Keppra (levetriacetam)
Dear keppra users.
I have been taking keppra now for almost one yr and I am now on 1000mg morning and night. I also am taking another tablet called epilim ( sodium valporate) I take 1200mg epilim morning and night added with the keppra. Ive had epilepsy for 2 yrs now. But still drs dont know if it is epilepsy or not. Keppra works for me. Stopped me having big long seizures. Now I just have short ones.
|

replied October 24th, 2005
Using Keppra
I was on keppra for a short time and, not to sound discouraging, it really didn't work for me... I hated the side effects & asked to come off it immediately... I've also been on dilantin, tegretol & phenobarbital to name a few.. In the past year or two i've discovered that lamictal seems to work best for me... I also like the fact that it's a bit 'cleaner' then most other available drugs... Of course, science isn't perfected, and even on the lamictal I still have the seizures... They're just not nearly as frequent as they used to be... My last seizure was about 2 weeks ago, but prior to that, I was seizure free for almost a year
|

replied October 25th, 2005
How to Stop Bleeding From Teeths
Hi, is anyone who can help me with this, I have problem with my teeths, it starts bleeding whenever I do brush or apply pest to the teeths.

Please help me if u have answers.

Thnks....
|

replied October 25th, 2005
Bleeding Gums/teeth
Hi click,

i'm curious, do you or did you, ever take dilantin? When I was on dilantin it did a number on both my teeth and especially my gums... They would bleed, swell and all around hurt, whether I was brushing my teeth or not... Now that i'm off of dilantin I found my gum swelling has subsided some, but I still have permanant oral damage... Both my prescribing doctor and dentist said chances are great that this was caused by years & years of taking dilantin... Hope this helps
|

replied October 27th, 2005
Re: Keppra (levetriacetam)
sami_1982 wrote:
dear keppra users.

I have been taking keppra now for almost one yr and I am now on 1000mg morning and night. I also am taking another tablet called epilim ( sodium valporate) I take 1200mg epilim morning and night added with the keppra. Ive had epilepsy for 2 yrs now. But still drs dont know if it is epilepsy or not. Keppra works for me. Stopped me having big long seizures. Now I just have short ones.

hey sami.U sound a bit like me.I'm taking aed's and have been for the past 6 years.I'v been taking epilim,lamictal and phenytoin.In july this year my fits got worse and I saw a new consultant and he has now introduced keppra.It has worked so far in controlling the fits but the side affects I have suffered are hell.I introduce 1 tablet every 2weeks,also reducing my intake of the epilim by 1 tablet.When I first started taking it I had a pounding head ache for the first week,then the second week I was ok.On sunday I introduced another keppra.Since then I have been depressed,angry,on the verge of tears for no reason,tired and unsteady on my feet.The question is,do I suffer these side affects and hope they go away next week(therefor doing the same each time I introduce a tablet).Or do I give up and go back to taking my old,dangerous coctail of drugs?? :cry:
|

replied January 29th, 2007
Re: How to Stop Bleeding From Teeths
click_hamed wrote:
hi, is anyone who can help me with this, I have problem with my teeths, it starts bleeding whenever I do brush or apply pest to the teeths.

Please help me if u have answers.

Thnks....

i didnt go to the dentist for like I think 8 years. I did go I only had like 1 cavity. I was lucky yes. Just alot of plaque. I have epilepsy. I am one of the lucky ones as well. They are controlled by medicine.
I take 3000mg of keppra and 200mg topamax. I take 100mg zoloft for irrability of side effect from keppra. I take metanx which is a multivitamin for my hair.
My dentist told me that I needed to brush my teeth on a regular basics and needed to floss my teeth on a weekly basics. That flossing is a big thing with taking medication. And since I have been flossing I can tell a big difference in my gums bleeding. They still bleed. But if I floss every day they wont bleed. Its weird.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2007
Keppra Information
Hi my name is jordon and my partner of 3 yrs has epilepsy and he uses the 250mg form of keppra I thought u mite need dome information on keppra (see below)

any other information please don't hesitate to ask!!

What is keppra®?

Keppra® is a medicine taken by mouth that is used with other medicines to treat:

partial onset seizures in patients four years of age and older with epilepsy

myoclonic seizures in patients 12 years of age and older with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy

what doses are available for keppra®?

Keppra® comes in a range of tablet strengths (250 mg, 500mg, 750mg, 1000 mg) as well as an oral solution. As of may 1, 2006, keppra® is available in a 1000 mg tablet. It is specifically designed for patients taking multiple tablets or who require higher daily doses. Speak to your doctor to find out if this convenient option is right for you.

250 mg keppra® tablets are blue, oblong-shaped, scored, film-coated tablets marked with “ucb 250” on one side.

500 mg keppra® tablets are yellow, oblong-shaped, scored, film-coated tablets marked with “ucb 500” on one side.

750 mg keppra® tablets are orange, oblong-shaped, scored, film-coated tablets marked with “ucb 750” on one side.

1000 mg keppra® tablets are white, oblong-shaped, scored, film-coated tablets marked with “ucb 1000” on one side.

Keppra® oral solution is a clear, colorless, grape-flavored liquid.

Is keppra® easy to use?

As of may 15, 2006 all four keppra® tablet strengths (250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg, 1000 mg) are produced using an innovative manufacturing process with the same active ingredient, resulting in an easier-to-swallow, 15% smaller tablet.

It comes in both a tablet and a liquid form.

You only have to take it twice a day.

It can be taken with or without food.

You don’t need blood level tests for keppra®.

How many times a day do I take keppra®?

Most people take keppra® twice a day. But your doctor will prescribe keppra® based on your needs.
Take it just the way your doctor says. And take it at the same time each day.

Which form of keppra® is right for me?

Most people take the tablet form of keppra®. Tablets should be swallowed whole. If you have trouble swallowing tablets, let your doctor know. Your doctor can prescribe you the liquid form of keppra®. Before taking keppra®, make sure you were given the right medicine. The bottle should say "keppra®."

is the liquid form of keppra® easy to use?

Yes. You do not have to shake the bottle or keep it in the refrigerator. Taking keppra® with a medicine spoon is easy. If you do not have a medicine spoon, your parents can ask the pharmacist for one. Do not use a teaspoon from your kitchen. If you do, you could be getting the wrong amount of keppra®. It is important to take the right dose.

Do I still need to take keppra® if I am not having seizures?

Yes. Not having seizures is proof that keppra® is working. So keep taking it as your doctor says. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions about stopping your medicine.

What should I do if I miss taking my keppra®?

Talk to your doctor or nurse. They can tell you what to do if you miss a dose.

It’s easy to forget about taking a daily medicine. Ask your pharmacist for tips that can help.
|

replied February 10th, 2007
Keppra
I have been on keppra 2000 mgs a day for about 4 months now and have had absolutely no reactions and my seizures have lessened and I had 40 between july and december 06 I had 23 in one month I usually have at least 7 in a series and now im back down to one a month or every other month it just depends on the stree level in my life. I have also been on lamictal they 175 so I have a good mix of meds but I guess its what your doctor thinks is best for you I have found and awesome doctor in st. Louis mo. Dr. Faber.
|

replied April 15th, 2010
Keppra
hello , the doctors are not sure i am epileptic , but becouse of the EEG test who showed kind of epileptic sign , i should start with Keppra .How come if the doctors are not sure of my illness why do they give such a medicin????
|

replied July 9th, 2010
keppra side effects
i have been on keppra for at least 5years but have noticed over recent months that i have the majority of the side effects on the leaflet or have had had them.
tingling,insomnia,headaches,sickness,pins and needles,anxiety, vertigo to name but a few. the vertigo came last winter out of the blue,didnt think it was related to the keppra until i saw it on the list today. and over recent months have been more and more emotional and anxious,worried and just an abnormal way of thinking.
i was curious to know if anyone else has experience like this after such a time on keppra?
i have asked to be taken off it and am currently waiting for a reply.
|

replied August 25th, 2010
I'm taking 600mg of Dilantin and 300mg of tegretol daily. Didn't think the tegretal was helping so I took it down to 200mg. When I did that the seizures let up. I found that odd. Has anyone expereinced something like that before?
|

replied November 10th, 2012
my doctor started me on tegretal and about 3 weeks in i started having a seizure every day for over a week. normaly i have 2 a month. i was immediatly tapered back off and the seizures returned to 2 a month. one of the rare side effects of tegretal can be worsening of seizures. i had been on dilantin as well 400mg. i still take the dilantin but have just started keppra this week. i really hope it helps. this is the only one ive tried besides dilantin and tegretal
|

replied August 28th, 2010
I have been using Kappra for 6 years. No seizures at all. No significant side effects.

Dilentin caused me a lots side effects.
|

replied September 28th, 2010
Changing meds, Epanutin to Keppra
I've got grand-mal epilepsy,tough never been given any actual medical cause for it? I was diagnosed 16yrs,when I was 14, ago and went thru a few different meds until I got settled on Epanutin 200mgs twice a day for about 14 yrs, have had bleeding swollen gums, memory/recall problems and have to shave a small area under my chin every couple of days, I'm a girl by the way so this is a really horrible side-effect! I was put on 500mgs Keppra twice daily about 3 months ago after being hospitalized with seizures, It seems to be going ok, was v.depressed and short-tempered for the first month or so, seems to have calmed down now. I'm still taking Epanutin aswell, was told I would be weaned off it eventually but wasn't given an actual timeline, anyone else in a similar situation or have any advice for me???
|

replied October 28th, 2012
New to site and Keppra-lots of questions
Hey everyone-I'm new to all this. Recently got diagnosed with nocturnal tonic clonic seizures about 3 months ago when my fam witnessed 2 seizures. Doc thinks I've been having them for awhile because of a congenital abnormality he found in my occipital lobe. They put me on 1000 mg of keppra. It's the only med I take. Been feeling waaaay bipolar where my highs are high but my lows are devestating and they come out of nowhere. I was pretty happy go lucky before, had my moments as does everyone but nothing like this. Could my dosage be too high? Also my oral care has gone downhill since being on it. Gums are real sensitive and bleed if I brush too hard. Never been an issue til the keppra. Will this go away?
|
Tags: Epilepsy
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Bhupinder HirA
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile