Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Restless Leg Syndrome (Page 1)

I just returned from the doctor who diagnosed me with rls~restless leg syndrome. It is a very annoying disorder that occurs mostly at night with a burning, twitching creepy crawly feeling in your legs. I literally feel like my skin is crawling. Confused Needless to say, I was getting very little sleep. I am trying ambien first to see if it does anything and hopefully I can get some sleep tonight. Does anyone else have this? If so what works for you? Any ideas will help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rls_go_away
|

replied November 20th, 2003
I have the same problem. Tylenol pm helps me, and any topical muscle relaxers, like bengay. Also try taking a hot shower right before bed, that helps my legs relax a bit.
|

replied January 10th, 2004
Restless Leg Syndrome
A possible treatment for restless leg syndrome might be a diet high in natural iron: dark leafy vegetables and high protein meats contain large quantities of such natural iron. If your iron intake is still insufficient, try some high quality iron complex capsules from your local health food store. For a good nights sleep try inexpensive natural herbal remedies which promote leg rest and circulation. Limit your diet with a minimum of sugar or sweets.
This has worked for me.....Ted
|

replied January 19th, 2004
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome
painful legs wrote:
i just returned from the doctor who diagnosed me with rls~restless leg syndrome. It is a very annoying disorder that occurs mostly at night with a burning, twitching creepy crawly feeling in your legs. I literally feel like my skin is crawling. Confused Needless to say, I was getting very little sleep. I am trying ambien first to see if it does anything and hopefully I can get some sleep tonight. Does anyone else have this? If so what works for you? Any ideas will help!!!
i have found a great cheep remedy 4 restless legs, tonic water I dont know exactly how it works but it does
|

replied April 8th, 2012
what exactly is tonic water and is there a certain way to drink it to keep the rls away, like right before bed or what?
|

replied February 24th, 2004
Restless Leg Syndrome
I just heard recently that there is now a medication for restless legs. When I had a problem with restless legs I started to take b vitamins and it stopped. Every so often it returns and I just take my vitamins.
Sandy
|

replied February 29th, 2004
Re: Restless Leg Syndrome
weemadnorrie wrote:
painful legs wrote:
i just returned from the doctor who diagnosed me with rls~restless leg syndrome. It is a very annoying disorder that occurs mostly at night with a burning, twitching creepy crawly feeling in your legs. I literally feel like my skin is crawling. Confused Needless to say, I was getting very little sleep. I am trying ambien first to see if it does anything and hopefully I can get some sleep tonight. Does anyone else have this? If so what works for you? Any ideas will help!!!
i have found a great cheep remedy 4 restless legs, tonic water I dont know exactly how it works but it does

it's quinine. Bitter lemmon also has quinine. I was prescribed 200mg quinine in capsules and it has greatly relieved the cramps and rls for me.

Also, if you live in a cold house (my house is not centrally heated), bathe in the evenings and wear socks to bed.

Ps. Quinine is also the cure for malaria. It's an old homeostatic remedy that's been around for centuries.
|

replied June 21st, 2004
Restless Leg Syndrome
I would like to help others deal successfully with this problem. I tried a few approaches found in books, articles, and chat forums like this one. And lo and behold, one of the chat forum suggestions worked for me. It's magnetic insoles. I ordered them from a mail order company. I put them inside my socks every night when I go to bed, remove them in the morning. They need a bit of maintenance because of the minerals in sweat. Use a little soap and warm water then dry.

I know from past research that magnetic fields increase circulation, and it's explanation enough for me why this works. It's been four months now, and no recurrence.

My warm wishes to all for your remission of rls symptoms asap.
|

replied December 4th, 2004
Remedies
Everyone is different... Thus the remedies vary.

Rx: melatonin is a godsend for me.
Neurontin is also good for most.
From all I read, and my experience... Meds need to be rotated from time to time.

Cut out:
benadryl ( I gasped when I read someone was using tylenol pm to help them sleep. Benadryl (any form of dyphenhydromine) is evil for folks with rls, normally. ) if you can get your hands on bayer pm, it's the only sleep aid pain reliever with the sleep aid that's not dyphenhydromine. Also, if you go to walmart, they have a "knockoff" version of a sleep aid that's not made with dyphenhydromine.. And those little oval shaped blue pills should help you sleep, but if you piled on some caffeine or a load of stress... You'll simply be very groggy and have twitchy legs.

Caffeine... If you love your coffee, like I do, then don't drink it after mid afternoon.... If you want to sleep that night.

Sugar: I hear one needs to watch sugar intake, when dealing with rls.

Defficiency?

There's a lot of literature stating low iron can be a factor in the rls sufferer. A test can be done to determine how much iron you have in your blood. Before you start popping iron pills, consult with your doctor!!

Low levels of vitamin b can also be a factor, but I can't quote any facts.

So far the rx I would highly recommend is mirapex!

Pitterpat
|

replied May 21st, 2011
Bayer PM
I read your response regarding Bayer PM being safe for RLS. I just bought some and it DOES have Diphenhydramine in it. I wonder if it didn't have that ingredient, and now it does. Sad
|

replied May 11th, 2005
Restless Leg Syndrome
I have restless leg syndrome and my doctor perscribed me a medication for parkinson disease. It is call mirapax. It seems to help me a little but I get real tired when I take it. I hate the feeling of having your legs twitching and having to move them contantly. When I don't have the medication I can't sleep all night and i'm awake all day. It is terrible. I feel for anyone that has restless leg syndrome. Good luck in finding the right medication.
|

replied May 24th, 2005
A doctor has a column in our newspaper and people have wrote to him saying to put a bar of soap under the sheet at the foot of the bed. Many have wrote in saying they tried it and it cures restless legs. Dont know why but it works.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2005
Community Volunteer
I ahve this problem too but as i'm 36 1/2 weeks pregnant I can't realy take anything. It drives me nuts at night. I have my boyfriend squeeze my leg till it feels better but that only relieves it for a bit.

I'm gonna check out tthat site as i'm french. Thanks
|

replied August 11th, 2005
My doctor never was able to diagnose me with this, but the symptoms fit me exactly. Two years ago, I started having numbness, tingling and sharp stabbing pains in my right leg, only at night and/or early morning. It never happened during the daytime. My doctor sent me for all kinds of neurological tests, thinking I had a pinched nerve, etc. All reports came back fine. I did have a low b12 count, and take supplements for it. They were never able to find what exactly was wrong. The only things that helps ease my pain is to make sure I get lots of rest, take a b12 supplement, dont drink too much alcohol or have caffeine. Some nights it is so painful to sleep, it is like someone is taking a huge knife, stabbing my leg and slicing me or feeling a creeping crawling feeling under my skin.
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Well mine finally went away about 1 week after I gave birth. I hope it doesn't come back!
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Restless Leg Syndrome
quit talking about drugs and things like that to cure your restless leg! Stop it, now!
How can you not google Restless leg and get access all the info on using soap! IVORY SOAP! It is all over the place!
Take a bar of IVORY soap, it must be IVORY, not DOVE or anything else. Take the bar from the package, discard the wrapper, place the bar in a sock and place between your sheets. You dont have to touch the soap.
This may sound bizarre but there is a strong possibility that the lye in the soap may be acting as a ground for your internal electrical system!
May sound crazy but just try it once and get back to me
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
I also suffer from RLS. I have had mine for 8 years now and being that it is somewhat of a new diagnosis I had ignored for 7 years and trying everything I can with home remedies to relieve the pain. I had gone back to school about a year and a half ago and I was going in the evenings and my lags would go into a spasm. It was extremely embarrassing. It took seeing a commercial about RLS to find that there was something I could do about it. I had gone into see my physician and after a few tests that were unneeded and a visit to the emergency room because of it she finally diagnosed me with severe RLS. I was in so much pain and discomfort I would literally turn my body into knots and pull every muscle in my legs from tensing them up. My life saver has been requip I love it and since being on it I might get a spasm while in class once a month and I don't get them at home at all.

Sometimes in the beginning when I was first getting them 7 years ago hot baths would work, massage, sleeping pills and going to bed were I could completely relax right when they started to twitch. ( I used to call it my sign to get to bed)
|

replied March 13th, 2008
Drink TONIC WATER for RLS
Tonic Water contains Quinine- No known side effects like the new and expensive drugs.

It is cheap, safe, and IT WORKS!

Nurse McRae
|

replied July 21st, 2011
restless leg syndrome
please tell me how much,how often you use tonic water with quinine water!!!I have just had terrible reactions to requip,and need advice on dose and other hints.!!!
PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2011
I'm not a healthcare person. However my foot doctor recommended tonic water for RLS and it works for me. I buy it in the small 8 oz cans and drink one of those whenever I start having RLS problems. It only takes about 15 minutes to quiet things down. However, you should note the following:
1. The FDA has disapproved of the use of prescription quinine "for treatment of leg cramps." They consider it an "off-label use." Also, prescription quinine has been shown to cause rare but serious bleeding disorders (it lowers platelet count which can cause a lot of other bad things to happen).
2. Over the counter Tonic Water has very small trace amounts of Quinine (83 parts per million) as mandated by the FDA. According to my foot doctor, the small amount "should not" cause any of the problems warned about by the FDA.
3. Over the counter tonic water is sweetened just like soda pop. In other words, it's loaded with sugar of various kinds (corn syrup, whatever) and calories. It's something to keep in mind if you're drinking tonic water regularly. In addition to buying the small 8 oz cans, I buy the diet tonic water. If you can hack artificial sweeteners like aspartame, it's a good way to limit the sugar intake.
4. I add flavoring, but with little sugar as possible. I use those plastic squeeze lemons and limes you can get at the supermarket. It doesn't take much to cut that quinine bitterness enough to make it a tolerable drink without adding a lot of sugar.
5. As usual, whatever works for me may not work for you. I'm lucky in that 8 oz is all I need to quiet my legs. I wouldn't want to take more than that on a nightly basis.

Good Luck,
"Big Ben" Alcobra
|

replied January 6th, 2009
Requip works for me but...
I have had restless legs since I was in college. I am now 33. I think my case is pretty serious. I would have it every night, and sometimes it would go into my arms. Also some times during the day, and definitely on long trips. I tried the parkensens drug, which kind of worked but, when requip came out I jumped on it worked pretty good, but when the generic came out, I used that and oddly it worked even better. I think it has a sleep aid in it because I get more sleepy from it than I did the requip. The name of the generic is ropinirole, and I take 2mg of it. I still have some requip and when I run out of the ropinirole, I will use the requip. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. But the ropinirole works every time. I take it about an hour before I go to bed, and I can tell when it is time to go to bed because I get tired. Having said that about the drugs that I am taking, I am now looking into a more natural solution. I am really scared to quit taking the drugs though. One restless leg syndrome night is one too many. It drives me crazy. Sometimes I think cutting my legs off would be less painful than dealing with RLS. These drugs do have side effects. Sex drive goes up, not always a bad thing. It hasn't made me want to gamble, that is good. I do get a wierd feeling at night after I take the drugs. I kind of gets me down. I think it is more of the thought that I will have to take the drugs for the rest of my life. Anyway I am going to try some of the remedies that people have talked about above. By the way I am now seeing e-books on curing rls for good. Has anyone tried one out. They are like $25. I will probably buy one soon, and I would like to not get scamed. If I wasn't using ropinirole I promise you I would have already bought all of them. Good luck to everyone in finding your cure for this dreaded syndrome.

Keith
|

replied January 20th, 2009
Restulex
There’s a natural health company I consistently use, and they just put out this new RLS product called Restulex. On their site right now, they’re offering it for free if you participate in a new study. I guess the stuff is supposed to work super fast – like to relieve RLS really soon after taking it. Has anyone else tried this?
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
"Tonic Water contains Quinine- No known side effects like the new and expensive drugs."

I guess if you do not consider arrhythmias a side-effect then this statement is correct. Most quinine tonic water is no longer sold in the US for this very reason. Anything that has an effect on your body can have side-effects. If there are truly no side-effects then it probably does not work.

There may be some truth to the B vitamins and the iron supplements. However, truly severe cases will likely require pharmacological treatment under the supervision of a physician. You do not have to suffer because of a wacky fear of modern medicine. If taken correctly and monitored these compounds can help many people with RLS. Try all the alternative methods first if you must. If they help, fantastic. If not there is no need to go nights without proper rest. Lack of sleep can lead to all sorts of additional medical problems down the road.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
RLS
I've had RLS for years. In hindsight, I believe I've had it since I was a child. I can remember days in elementary school where I just had to move my feet and/or legs. I don't have the pain that people have described. To me, it feels as if my legs are plugged in to a low source of electricity and I need to wear out the muscles. I've used prescription Mirapex for 4 or 5 years now and it does the job, but I would love to be able to get away from drugs and find a "natural" remedy. I can say that at times it is food induced. It typically does not occur during the day unless I eat foods with high levels of MSG...chinese food, hickory smoked bacon. Those are always guaranteed to set it off. I also try to stay away from foods with high fructose corn syrup, which is almost IMPOSSIBLE as it's used so frequently in so many food items. One thing that does work for me...if I lay with my legs elevated at a 45 degree angle and press my back into the floor or bed, depending on where I am, the symptoms completely disappear. It's great on the stomach muscles, but I can only do this for about 1/2 hour. A few minutes after I return to a normal sleeping position, the restlessness returns. I've recently been told about the soap trick and although it sounds ridiculous, but hell, I'll try it. I just hope my dogs don't try eating the soap!!! Razz
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur