Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Lupus-hoshimoto's Thyroiditis-fibromyalgia

Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...
I have lupus, hoshimoto's thyroiditis, and fibromyalgia. I am often very tired and have gained about 10 pounds since I was diagnosed. I am on a lot of medication for each of the conditions. Each time the thyroid is tested they have told me that it is normal. I see a rheumatologist not an endocrinologist. Should I see an endocrinologist in order to see if something has not been discovered in the thyroid that is causing the weight gain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 8th, 2004
Klb
Are you taking steroids for the lupus? If so, that could be the culprit.

Just taking a wild stab here... I've heard many lupies say that their treatment drugs cause weight gain.
|

replied December 18th, 2004
Hashimotos
I have hasimotos & fibromyalgia as well. They believe I lupus but that it has not fully formed yet so still undiagnosed. I know with my hashimotos my weight was constantly fluctuating. The thyroid gland is kind of the bodies control center regulating everything from ovaries to brain chemicals. I also had swelling and small nodules in the gland and was oh so thrilled to have it removed. I had to finally see an endocrinologist to resolve the issue. After many years of battle I finally realized that the at large medical community is not equipped to handle extensive (hasimotos) diagnoses/following of the thyroid gland, it is definitely a speciality. Fibromyalgia's main symptom is fatigue. What meds are you taking for the fibro, just curious I can't seem to get one that works and with all the vioxx/celebrex scandals.....Ugh

hope you get it resolved quickly!
|