Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Burning Sensation - Roof of the Mouth? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Hi,
every once in a while I will experience a sharp burning sensation across the roof of my mouth whilst eating food. After feeling this burning I often need to stop eating because the pain becomes intollerable. The pain will generally fade after drinking water and waiting for a few minutes, but having triggered this pain I will often have the same problem the next time I eat. I notice the problem most times when eating bread, but I have also had it cocur with chicken and other foods. What seems strange is that it doesn't occur all the time (ie. When eating bread), but I do notice that it seems worse if I am tired or if I haven't slept. I can't put my finger on what exactly is causing the problem and would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Fawpa
|

replied December 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Is it like a pain, or an itch? If an itch is is allergies. If is is a pain, I am also guessing that maybe you are allergic to something in those specific foods. Just a guess.
|

replied January 18th, 2008
Pain of the roof of the mouth
I have the exact same problem. I've been searching all over the web and haven't found an answer. Have you gotten any response? Mine is only occasionally, as well, and normally at the first meal of the day.
|

replied August 29th, 2008
Pain in the roof of the mouth
I experience the same pain. It is infrequent and unpredictable. It is always with the first meal of the day weather that be in the morning at breakfast, or if I don't eat breakfast the first thing I eat, a snack, lunch etc.
I would love to know what this is.
|

replied October 27th, 2008
YES! I have the same thing happen, mine is mostly when I eat bread or like a muffin in the morning. Then water usually helps make it go away. Maybe it has something to do with the dryness of the mouth?? But it always hurts on the roof of my mouth and it is bad enough that I have to stop eating.
|

replied December 15th, 2008
burn on roof of mouth
can I use ora-jell to numb the pain ?
|

replied December 15th, 2008
burn on the roof of your mouth
I have a very bad burn on thr roof of my mouth. Its been 5 days and the pain is not easing up. What should I do? I used ora-jel and it hurts burns like hell then the pain goes away for about 10 minutes. Help !!
|

replied December 21st, 2008
burning roof of mouth
I have this same thing! I notice it particularly in the areas next to the bump on the roof of my mouth. It is almost always the first time I eat for the day. It is NEVER the same food, and the food can irritate me one day and not the next.

It last usually a minute or two, but I have had it last up to 20 minutes before. I just stop eating and ride it out. Drinking usually just makes it worse for me.

I am very frustrated and looking for answers. If anyone finds out something, please let us know!
|

replied December 29th, 2008
burning sensation on roof of mouth
I think I have the same thing happening as everyone else but I would describe it as almost like pulling a muscle on the roof of your mouth rather than a burning sensation. Anyone feel that way?
|

replied May 4th, 2011
YES!!! That is exactly how I would describe it. It isn't so much that I feel a burning sensation, or anything that I would think others would consider burning. I enjoy spicy foods and eat them at almost every meal. My pain in the roof of the mouth feels like a contraction of the muscle that I can't control. I've even tried massaging it. It seems to happen for no reason, and even when I eat the most mundane of foods. I'm with you, my pain feels like a muscle pain, particularly a contraction pain. What is this?
|

replied May 4th, 2011
YES!!! That is exactly how I would describe it. It isn't so much that I feel a burning sensation, or anything that I would think others would consider burning. I enjoy spicy foods and eat them at almost every meal. My pain in the roof of the mouth feels like a contraction of the muscle that I can't control. I've even tried massaging it. It seems to happen for no reason, and even when I eat the most mundane of foods. I'm with you, my pain feels like a muscle pain, particularly a contraction pain. What is this?
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
pain in roof of mouth
It sounds like people are having different kinds of pains, lasting for different lengths of time, and possibly in different places. Burning is different from a sharp pain; and there are no large salivary glands on the roof of your mouth that could get stones. Those glands are below the tongue and in the upper cheeks. There are, however, very tiny salivary glands all over the mouth which can contribute to a short-lived pain of the palate when a person first starts eating. While it is true that there is a pair of sinuses above the roof of the mouth, which could affect this, they would be less likely to cause burning. Also, they would be less likely to go away in a short time (like a few minutes), since the conditions that affect the sinuses tend to last at least hours (allergy) to days (infection and/or allergy). Celiac disease causes many symptoms, including mouth sores, but that is not the same thing as pain in the mouth without sores. All that to say that a brief pain on both sides of the hard palate when one starts eating (when there are no visible sores or abnormalities of the mouth) and which goes away within a couple of minutes, is more likely due to the small salivary glands contracting -- not sinus issues, not allergies, not salivary gland stones, and not celiac disease.
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Hi all. I want to reply to your post because you have the most intelligent explanation. I hope my experience will help others out there with the same problem. I have made the link with taking drugs like "Speed", which in my case, creates a sharp pain at the roof of my mouth when I eat the next day. Is it caused by dehydration? Probably so because "Speed" cause dehydration and will dry my mouth if I do not monitor my water content. By the way, I want to make it clear to all the readers, that my mentionning a drug, does not mean that I am encouraging people to use drugs. That said, I will try to test this theory by carefully hydrating my body next time... Also, it would be important to mention that I've had the same symptom at times when I hadn't consumed anything for a month or so. In other words, it could really just be a question of carefully gauging my liquid content on a daily base, which I never think of doing. Thankyou. Take care all and don't do drugs it's not worth it. Smile
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
I've had my way with drugs like speed and always stayed hydrated... Until last night when I was at a concert and water was $5! I woke up this morning and tried to eat, only to have extremely painful cramps in the roof of my mouth for the first time. In my case, I'm pretty sure it was due to dehydration. If one is dehydrated, there is less water to create saliva with, which would explain why it's painful to eat because the saliva glands are trying to produce something that's not there. The roof of the mouth is more sensitive than the cheeks or tongue, so it would respond stronger to pain. It also could be due to the body's response to drugs, such as higher blood pressure which would irritate the small capillaries in the mouth. Thanks for the post, hope this helps!
|

replied March 7th, 2009
What is causing this?
I just had it happen again. It was so bad that I went looking for an answer and found this post. What is going on? Its always the first meal of the day and today it was breaded chicken. I have had problems with oatmeal too.
|

replied May 7th, 2011
Salivary stones. See an ENT doc
|

replied October 5th, 2011
Pain in roof of mouth mystery solved!
I found this forum today searching for an answer to this same issue, and "the salivary stones" hypothesis is definitely the best, in my opinion. Thanks for posting that!

The reason it makes so much sense to me is that I have had salivary stones before, in the glands near my jawline near my ears. Occasionally, these glands swell up and are painful in a "sucking lemons" sort of way. The first time it happened I was only in the sixth grade. About ten years later,a nurse finally suggested to me that it was from salivary stones blocking the duct. The liquid being produced can't escape so it swells the gland and causes pain. Some people get the stones surgically removed, but she said I could try rubbing the gland to loosen it. So the next time it happened, I just massaged the area with my fingers, (none too gently), and a tiny crystal popped out of my cheek (I could feel it in the inside of my mouth) as well as thickened saliva. Apparently some people are predisposed to this, just like some are to kidney stones.

It makes sense that it would happen the first meal of the day because that means the saliva glands are being stimulated after a long period of rest and dehydration. A lot of the time people seem to experience it with bread, but that's probably just because bread is about the most common breakfast food. This morning I ate a slice of apple and got that flaring up sensation and the swelling on the roof of the mouth. I have never had an apple allergy in my life. It doesn't seem as easy to massage the roof of my mouth!

I found some other prevention ideas online which include

drinking more water
choosing prescription antihistamines rather than over the counter ones
checking into autoimmune disorders
and.....sucking on sour candy! Haven't you always wished candy could be a treatment?
|

replied March 21st, 2009
Exact same symptoms
This is crazy. I have the exact same symptoms. Almost always the first time I eat that day but not every day and sometimes it will go for a very long time with out happening and at other times it is almost daily. Typically I have noticed it with bread, muffins and breaded chicken but the breaded chicken is only at one particular restaurant but not every time I eat there. I have had this on and off for almost 2 years and the doctor is not really sure what to do with me. I have tried a topical Rx that numbs the area but it is so unpredictable as to when it is going to happen, I have no idea if it works or if I just didn't have any symptoms at that particular time. Does anyone think this might be a wheat allergy?
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Hi everyone
very stange indeed that people are sensing burning sensation on rof of mouth. i just google serached it and found you all.
Here is what i can offer; invisible reflux can cause different things for different people. it has been known to cause burning on roof of mouth. you may not have a stomach burning and not know you have reflux. i suggest and endo to determine.
in my case i am always serching for another reason just in case since reflux is not 100% curable.
Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2009
Same here... only after 1st meal.
I have the same thing and it is only at the first meal of the day. I was thinking it was a wheat allergy too like fredsmom94. When it happens, I find I am eating something with flour (cereal, pizza, breaded chicken). I don't know, but would love to find an answer.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
mouth pain
this is crazy because i too Google this problem and seen you all. its not really the first meal i eat but it only occurs when i do eat. i first started to get it a week ago and my main diet usually consist of bread and chicken. but i have had reflux for more then five yrs. dose anyone know if reflux can cause it?
|

replied April 27th, 2009
roof of mouth burning...
my 10 year old daughter came this morning at 4am complaining that the roof of her mouth was burning. She says it comes and goes during the day...

Any real insights about this? She seems a bit young to be getting reflux...
|

replied May 7th, 2011
Reflux burns your esophagus, not the roof of your mouth. Have her checked for salivary stones. They block the salivary gland, the saliva cant get out and causes a backup and engorgement=pain. It also common in the mouth for pain to be felt not in the location where it is being produced.
|

replied May 3rd, 2009
salt does it to me
wow! I never realized other people have been wondering about this too!

I've noticed that if I'm dehydrated and I eat salty foods or dry things..like bread, i get it. This might sound wierd but I also notice small bumps on the area that burns...they go away but it almost seems like my mouth swells...

I have a doctors appointment next week. I'll try and remember to write back and help everyone out!
|

replied May 9th, 2009
Roof of Mouth Burning Sensation
This happened to me for the first time today so I looked it up and here I am. I was on a long hike today and didn't have much food, and then once I sat down to dinner (chicken + tortillas) the room of my mouth starting burning so much that I had to stop. The back part hurts especially badly. I can actually feel the stinging extending into the roots of my teeth! Water seems to help. I hope it's fine tomorrow because I'm still hungry and had to stop eating!!!
|

replied May 10th, 2009
Sinus issue?
I just posted a few hours ago, but I think I may have figured out the cause of my problem: water in my sinuses. I got quite a bit of water up my nose yesterday due to jumping into water feet first from considerable heights, and I remember feeling that burning sensation in my sinuses right after jumping. Then when I tried to eat later in the day, the pain in the roof of my mouth was unbearable.

Today, I looked at the roof of my mouth in the mirror and it is noticeably bruised and discolored. My theory is that all the water shooting up my nose and into my sinuses may have actually bruised the area surrounding the sinus. That would explain why cold liquids make it feel better, right?

Anyway, just a theory. Hope this may help someone!
|

replied May 11th, 2009
odd...
I think I have the same type of problem. Just came about two days ago. I've been having bad allergy problems for two weeks. Two days ago I went out on a hike (forested area) and when I got to camp that night my allergies started up. Sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes. When I went to eat dinner everything hurt the roof of my mouth so bad it was unbearable. It was a stabbing pain for me though..like a hundred needles going into me. The pain is at the back of my hard palate around a couple of uneven spots (not sure if everyone has those? haha...no idea what they are) Drinking water helps some...just feels like i have to get all the food residue off of the spots before they'll start to feel better. Any food at any time of the day now sets it off. Sometimes those spots feel swollen. That night after hiking was the worse allergies I've ever had that I can remember. I'm assuming this problem is allergy related although I've tried three different allergy medicines and none have helped. Zyrtec, Claritin, and Benedryl Severe Allergy. Whoever finds a solution to this should definitely post back and let us all know Smile
|

replied May 12th, 2009
getting better
Hey everyone...I just posted yesterday and I good news today. The stabbing pain when I eat is getting better. I've stayed indoors mostly for a few days, have used a netipot to irrigate my sinuses, and have tried not to irritate those spots on the roof of my mouth anymore than necessary. My nose has cleared up so I've also been able to breath out of my nose at night instead of my mouth. Today they are still a little sore to the touch but foods have not bothered them. So I'm seriously thinking it was allergies. Maybe it was because I had to sleep breathing through my mouth for about a week and had nothing by my bed to moisten my mouth when I'd wake up in the middle of the night with dry mouth. Who knows. Its just a weird coincidence that it happened on the same day I have had the worst allergy attack I can remember...and it is going away as my nose and eyes and sneezing start to get better.
|

replied July 9th, 2011
Gluten!
Hi all. I've had this happen to me for years. My GI said it's a gluten allergy. Which would explain why it generally happens after eating bread. It can happen when exposed to any kind of gluten, however it is generally bread or high gluten content that will make such a reaction. This is because of the immense amount of gluten you are being exposed to at one time. I would have a gluten allergy teat done to make sure, but that was my problem. No gluten = no mouth burning Smile Hope this helps and you all find answers soon!
|