Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Mutiple Anxiety Disorders With Bipolar Questions!

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hello , I am basically homebound. I see a primary care Dr. But the problem is we both thought we were dealing with a single case of anxiety with depression. I was prescribed 20 mg of prozac daily and .50 mg of xanax when needed. Lately I have started taking the xanax twice daily. After years of suffering and recent research on my part I have realized I am dealing with multiple anxiety disorders along with bipolar. This explains why the current medications are not working.Below is a list of what I suffer from:
1).Panic disorder with agoraphobia = fear,vertigo type feelings,palpatations,and stomach distress.

2).Post traumatic stress disorder = constant thought of death, thoughts of uncle who was killed ,and friend who recently was killed in auto accident,dreams and nightmares of these events,thoughts of loved ones dying, fear of driving, fear when family members are gone(driving).

3).Social anxiety disorder = sweats,trembling,fear of leaving my house,when I do leave my house (very rarely). I constantly think of getting back home,gotta get back home, only feel safe at home.

4)generalized anxiety disorder = constant worrying,easily startled,jumpiness.

5).Major depression/mania(bipolar) =racing thoughts,easy distracted,inability to concentrate on anything,sadness,emptyness,helplessness,lo ss of intrest in favoritethings/activities,thoughts of loss/death,from interupted sleeping patterns to sleeping all day.

It is obvious to me that by trying to deal with just the one illness.The prescribed medicine is not going to help me with all the aspects of my illness. What im asking is if anyone suffers from multiple illness like this and what medicines have helped them. Is there a place online to ask a psycologist are psychiatrist for advice.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile sandyallen
|

replied December 14th, 2004
a New Life!!
Hello! My son who is 16yrs. Old suffers from just about all that you mentioned, except the fear of leaving the house. He does, but goes to school, then right back home. It all started about 2yrs. Ago I started to noticed that he was becoming increasingly shy. But at his age (hormonal and all) I though it would all pass. But it started to become more difficult to get through each day. He never wanted to go out with his friends or to family gatherings. He worried about everything, and when he didn't have anything to worry about, he's worry thinking there was something he had forgotten. He'd only go to school and that would be even after the best attempts to stay home (he stated he felt ill, had a headache, sore throat, stomach, anything he could think of) then it became obvious when I saw it in black and white. His grd. 9 report card stated that he had missed 65days of school.I couldn't believe it. He also started to have outwarded symptoms--vomiting and/or diarrhea before having to go somewhere--anywhere (this was now about end of summer before grd 10).So I sat down with him and discussed what I was starting to see and feel with him. He finally let me know all his feeling physical and mental. The heart palpations, sweats, knees buckling on and on as you pretty much described. So his md referred him to a psychiatrist and he started him on paxil cr. This is in the antidepressent class, the same as prozac but every med. Is processed by the body differently and differently by everyone,but is widely used for several disorders- successfully. He also (the psychiatrist) believe that something in my son's life triggered this, weather something happened to him and he can't remember, and now it's coming out this way. But either way he suggested therapy. My son is now in grd 11, and he ;is doing wonderfully. Don't get me wrong, he is still shy, and still hangs around the house alot, but not all the time. His inner feelings (heart racing and palpations etc) are less dramatically, but he still has problems if he were expected to give a speech for example. The diarrhea and vomiting has stopped totally. He is still in counselling, talking out a few issues, and learning what is call cognitive methods to learn how too prepare for and deal with social issues (like breathing techniques for one and imagery is another). I don't know of any doctor online, so you may have to go "out" which I realize is difficult for you--do you have any support groups in your area--maybe someone from the group can accompany you- i'd go with you if I could, and so would my son because he knows what it's like- so do i. I watched my son's life being consumed by this disorder. But there is help, and your reaching out, and that's good. I wish I could be of more help (go with you) please make a call to your local hospital, maybe they can tell you of a support group or phone support group. Maybe even your md will have this info. I really hope things get better. Let us know.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Have you thought of emdr(eye movement desensitization and reprocessing), it is generally done with a psychologist, not a psychiatrist so you do not have have to worry about getting more prescription meds, I am not against psychiatrists so please do not get me wrong, anyway they can take you back in time to a negative point and time in your life and they allow you to release the negativeness, they also deal with people that has phobias(fears), post war syndromes, it is really great, even I have experienced this.
Sincerely,
sandy
|

Never heard of this. Something to try, but also scary--to find out if something did happen to my son, of course I want to help him, but I am also scared to find out what/who did what/what happened--you know what I mean?? My husband would go wild if someone did something to him (which is my fear- molested or something (babysitter/teacher) you just never know these days) but I will read up about this and discuss it with my son's md/ thank-you
|