Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Keppra --- Oh What a Feeling ---

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Hello everyone,
I started taking keppra lastnight as an add on. I am only on 1000mg a day to start with.

I had really cool dreams lastnight and today I woke up before midday and I am feeling good usually my dreams are nasty of death and dying ( that was when I was on tegretol and I would always be scared ) but so stoned on keppra. When does this stoned feeling pass. I laugh at anything. And then I cry. Emotions running wild.

I bet I am worse then a pregnant woman lol. I feel light as a feather, as happy as someone who just won lotto, no seizures yet either. Woooohoooo.

Just a few moments of rappid speach. Then I just calm and talk slowly and say what I want to say.

But this stoned feeling wow its actually kinda cool, cant get told of by anyone for being high. Wow

no agression, a little paranoia, no hunger outbursts for extra food. Think this is acctually going to be good for me, and thank god no more blood tests. Yippee.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile PRSha
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
I have taken keppra for quite a few years. I am sorry to tell you but keppra requires you have a blood test at least every 3 months as did lithium for my manic depression. Keppra is a very potent drug and can have serios side effects such as kidney failure. In testing between 5-10 patients died of kidney failure. Don't mean to scare you but talk to your pharmacist about it's side effects and adverse efeects. I have a friend in england and they are trying to get it off the market. I take 3000 mlg a day. Can't take any other for my seizure. Let Dr. Know of any family history of kidney problems, liver problems, and it has caused me to have chronic conjuctivitis of both of my eyes. Read insert in box and ask a lot of questions. Just a soft word of advice.
Leslie
|

replied December 4th, 2004
I started taking keppra last night I understand how you feel its weird, you have mood swings like no other if you find out any extra info about it let me know and vise-versa!
Carrie
|

Experienced User
Hi sandbag
im good. No history of kidney probs. Or anything. And sandbag your what is seeming conjunctivitis is caused from your meds. Because you are on such a high doseage and you are probably so tired alot. So your body is telling yourself to sleep so you are producing alot of sleep.

It fades with time as do most initial side effects. When I was on tegretol I had a rash all over my body and I just put up with it. And it was so itchy. I have been through so much.

Btw I live in australia sandbag and on the pamphlet inside the keppra box it says that it shouldnt be given to anyone under 16 without propper authority. But on american sites it says no one under 12yrs old.

Check out my websites that I go to sandbag

Webmd.Com
Emedical.Com.Au

and thankyou sandbag.

Sami
|

Keppra
Hi sami,
I read your posts with interest as you and I seem to be the only regular australian contributors to this site.
Keppra. I m glad you are having some success with this, however when my nuero had me on keppra ,( I went as high as 3,500mg per day),
i had an almost immediate side effect with this medicine, for me it was like a huge weight on my shoulders and been in a dense fog I couldnt get out of. I was also a bit moody when on keppra. My evening classes suffered as I could not retain new information but had no problem recalling/using information already learnt.I am now off keppra
have you ever had mysoline? It was the same feeling sensations with that tablet as well, the only difference was that at that time I knew no difference and didnt realise I could feel any different as I had been on mysoline for so long ,coming off that was magic for me.
Good luck sami, take care and keep in check with your neuro and remember to have your blood levels checked at least once if not twice a year. Hope you have a safe happy christmas and happy new year. Cool
danceman
|

replied December 5th, 2004
Experienced User
Hello
Ty danceman
i wish you also a safe and happy christmas and new year.

A weight has certainly lifted off my shoulders, instantly since getting off my tegretol.

I just feel addicted already to keppra. I hope it works for me. So far so good.

Tc sami xx
|

replied November 10th, 2010
my 6 year old on keppra
hi there.....i am a mother of a 6 year old who was prescribed keppra yesterday and i am holding off on giving it to him seeing he has had 2 seizures in three months and i have not gotten answers on the side effects esp on such a young child.....he took his first dose and threw it up almost immediately.....very worried about the long term effects and we have no reason why he has had these 2 seizures so do i have a legitimate concern about putting him on this medicine before we are able to find out more facts?

A little bit scared and a whole lot confused!
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2011
Keppra in a child
Mainelymy -- I would not give this drug to a child with such infrequent seizures. I would research and apply some natural remedies with diet modifications, get a second or third professional oppinion etc. before putting drugs into such a young child. In my case, nutritional research showed me that most of my health problems (seizures, kidney stones, hypothyroidism) were marked by low magnesium and manganese levels. As a child, we often ate canned vegetables, and I was addicted to sugar and other carbohydrates. I think these poor diet choices predisposed me to health issues as an adult. I now eat fresh vegetables only. I also take homeopathic trace minerals (Somaplex or Gammadyn brands) to balance minerals in my body. I feel much better and have been able to use 1/2 the low dose of Keppra, and have lowered my levothyroxine by 40%.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Side effects
Hello, I was prescribed Keppra and was on the medication for some time and I have to say it as no good for me or my family. I am a husband and father of two and it made me quite moody. The side effects did me in, sorry to say. My seizures were pretty well under control but my anger was getting pretty serious so my wife dragged my sorry behind back to my neurologist and demanded something else. I would not recommend the medication for fear of the same for your child. Sorry
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2011
I started Keppra a few years ago. I was told by the neurologist that it could cause the side effect of irritability. When I got that side effect and reported it to him he said to me, "That usually does not happen unless you are like that already." Of course I was offended, but I did not let it show. He had used all the charm at his disposal to get me to use Keppra as I was looking for an alternative to Tegretol that did not filter through my liver. After he said that, I decided to use a maintenance dose and to work on learning techniques to calm myself and to let go of irritations. I do not notice any such side effect now. In addition to lots of introspection, I use the Callahan techniques, a tapping method related to Thought Field Therapy that relives anxiety etc., homeopathics like cicuta virosa, gemmotherapies Lime Tree and European Olive, Tai Chi, etc.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
This is my fourth day on Keppra ( added to Epilim 1000mg ) neuro started me on a low dose of 500mg and in a fortnight I need to add another 500 .. I must say I am a little confused , firstly just by reading threads on here seems most reviews are well.. not so good ! Yet my neurologist seems to think it is one of the most common and popular ( user friendly ) anti convulsant drug on the market .. I have suffered 3 grand mal seizures in 38 years my last was 7 weeks ago ( hence introduction of Keppra ) one prior was 14 years back. Anyway so far the effects I've noticed is yes a little more snappy and maybe a little down .. But I feel that because I'm shattered about the fact that I had this massive seizure and can't drive for 3 mths have two babies and isolated in the middle of nowhere land .. My car was my life .. Having said this I totally understand why the driving rule is in place and so it should be. I don't feel stoned in any way like the OP described I am having vivid dreams. For me the Epilim side effects where far more significant such as rapid weight gain sleepiness and awful head ache .. Soo I'm hoping by reducing the Epilim and introducing the Keppra I will stabalize ..however after reading all the bad reviews of Keppra I'm a little concerned about the increase Sad(((
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2011
Keppra and General Health
That is not very many grand mals in all these years. It sounds like your seizures have been well controlled by your previous medications. You might want to look at possible triggers such as aspartame (nutrasweet) which has caused seizures in people who have never had them before. Some persons get severe migraines from MSG (monsodiumglutimate)and mimics of it like yeast extracts. What other triggers could you have? Stress is a big one for me, plus many years ago I would forget to take my medicine (one of the side effects of Tegretol was forgetfulness and no dreaming at all), and in younger years I went into denial and just did not take medicine since all they had for me was Dilantin (good bye nice teeth) and Mysoline (way too strong and causing excessive sleepiness). I do feel all the years on Tegretol weakened my liver, now I worry about my kidneys with the Keppra. But I have wised up to take Lime Tree (gemmotherapy tincture) for the kidneys, use acupuncture to support and tone them, and cranberry capsules. (I am also on chemotherapy that affects the kidneys.) You might want to get Phyllis A Balch's Prescription for Nutritional Healing ($25) from Amazon.com or a health store and use her guidelines for epilepsy and kidney health to improve your overall health. Good Luck and God Bless.
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
Oh I am now petrified.
I came off Tegretol, because of the side effects, not urinating for a week, esp when I already have kidney problems is not good, and that was only one of a long list of side effects.
And now I am worried about what I have read about Keppra.
I have only had 2 seizures - both at night, when sleeping and 2 years apart. So p'd off my husband saw them - sux not being able to drive for 6 months, especially with children and in a town with bugger all public transport. And with lovely hot summers to have to walk in.
I think everything is over kill.
So had enough of everything already.
|

replied November 19th, 2012
Hi,

I just wanted to post that my teenage son, on autism spectrum, was on Keppra for over a year. Kept increasing dosage in hopes of stopping sporadic seizures. The higher the dosage, the worse his aggression. Suicidal at one point. We also did not know it was affecting his kidneys. All that was tested for was the amount of Keppra in his blood---no creatinine levels. Surprised( He is still recovering from kidney problems, even almost a year later. He is on Lamictal ODT(Lamotrigine)(dairy free) now and he has been seizure free since Dec 29, 2011! Surprised) SO THANKFUL! Just wanted to say that one size does not fit all regarding epilepsy drugs.
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Keppra
I was on Keppra for over 7 years, and of all the meds I've been on, I'd have to say it was my favourite. The side effects were minimal, I managed to lose weight (other meds caused me to put on weight) and my seizures were controlled to the point that I only had them at night time, and was allowed to get my drivers license.
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Keppra
I was on Keppra for over 7 years, and of all the meds I've been on, I'd have to say it was my favourite. The side effects were minimal, I managed to lose weight (other meds caused me to put on weight) and my seizures were controlled to the point that I only had them at night time, and was allowed to get my drivers license.
|

replied August 24th, 2013
abuseable?
Is Keppra a safe med to give to a drug addict or could it be abused?
|

replied March 10th, 2014
good
I take it. 3(750s) twice a day. Only side affect is longer sleep at night (probably needed it anyway.) No seizures. Yay!

A lot of wild, speculative anecdotal advice here. Panic mongers. If it works, I take it. Better than staring off into space while driving or flopping around on the ground giving my daughter nightmares.

I became happier when I decided to quit being such a pansy and demanding that I control everything. That kind of stress could trigger! LOL.

I stopped trying to make life what it used to be and began living it as it is. Much more serenity.

When God decides it is time for me to go...so be it. Better there than here.

Try adding a dose of that.
|