Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Lump In Throat-anxiety Related (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Anyone have a problem with lump in throat sensation due to anxiety/panic attacks? I have been having this problem for a few weeks on and off, and now it seems more on than off. Hoping this is just anxiety. My last panic attack was two weeks ago. Just started zoloft on wednesday. I hope i'm not the only one.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper belly44
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2004
What do you mean exactly by 'lump in the throat'? I have had problems with an achy throat -- feels like when you are wanting to cry but you hold it in, so your throat starts to ache -- is this feeling similar to your 'lump'? I get this ache in my throat all the time when I am reading out loud or singing -- basically when I am vocal for long periods without resting my voice. I just started being this way within the last year -- never bothered me before.

Dianna
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Yes, I constantly have feelings of a "lump in my throat" due to anxiety. It's a normal anxiety symptom. Might want to get it checked out if it doesn't go away, just in case.
|

replied February 8th, 2005
I have this wierd sensation of heat up my chest and then it's like something goes up my throat and once it felt like it lounged in my throat right jawline area....Has anyone had this??Please respond.I just had my gall bladder removed and thought that it has caused the sensation but the gb's gone and it's still there.I also feel like I have a sore throat and have headaches on top of my head......Tia
|

replied March 9th, 2005
I Do
I have just gotten this for the last week constnantly. I went on a date with a girl I really liked and it went well for the most part but now i'm paranoid about whether or not this is going to work out. I'm 20 and keep in mind i've never dated before and had vicious anxiety problems anyway to add to the stress.

I obsess over strange fears like worrying that i've altered my voice by sitting in a in a strange position. I don't know.

The lump in the throat thing in my case has come and and hand with frequent burping. I don't think its real indegistation though; feels like kind you active through stress, like breathing in awkwardly taking in too much air.
|

replied April 5th, 2005
I Have That
I have the lump in my throat right now. I know it is due to stress and anxiety. I am in the middle of planning a wedding and I am dealing with a lot of emotional turmoil right now as well. My eyelid was also nervously twitching (like a little pulse) for about 2 months. Only recently did it dissipate. My gp told me that it was due to stress. I also have chronic back pain, which is caused by stress. I have been told this by a chiropractor. So, you are not alone!!!
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Experienced User
...... Tons of people get the liump thing int heir thorat its one of the most common symptoms..??? Do any of u people ever respond to anything!!!!!!!
|

replied April 14th, 2005
Do not worry about that, it even happens if you don't have anxiety. Is it right where your thyroid is? If so, completely normal. But I find if you focus on it or touch it/press on it, it'll get a lot worse. Don't touch your neck but just relax and eventually it'll go away.
|

replied May 2nd, 2006
Tight Throat, Lump In Throat...
For the past week or so I have felt like I have a lump in my throat that comes and goes. It feels like a pill or something stuck down by my adams apple. I don't have trouble eating or swallowing food but it's kind-of hard to swallow when i'm not eating and drinking liquids almost seems to make it worse. I'm not sure if this is because I keep swallowing and aggrevating it. The last few days it has also felt like I have really bad dry mouth and my tongue and throat feel really irritated and almost slightly swollen. My mouth isn't dry, I have enough saliva to eat and swallow, but it just feels really dry and tight. I went to the doctor and she didn't find anything wrong. I have noticed that it helps when I relax and don't think about it. I have a history of panic attacks and anxiety so i'm assuming after reading everyone else's symptoms that that is the cause. Has anyone else experienced the dry, swollen feeling?
|
Users who thank belly44 for this post: robot_panic 

replied January 8th, 2013
this is a disturbingly precise description of exactly what i have right now :/
|

replied May 6th, 2006
I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for about 6 months now. I too had the feeling of a lump in my throat and the more I thought about it the worse it got.
Things got that bad I ended up in hospital for 2 days due to posterial hypotension caused by my anxiety.
The consultant there called this lump a globulus. He also did suggest I might have reflux and I was also perscribed medication for this.

Wether it was cos I was taking medication or wether it was cos someone finally listened to me I did find the lump feeling easing.

I still get the sensation on and off mostly when i'm really anxious but its never been as bad as it was.

I think in my case it was caused one by my anxiety and two by me having reflux.
|

replied May 13th, 2006
Hi guys...I too have the same problem. I can usually control my anxiety attacks, and in fact can go months, sometimes years without them. However...Sometimes I do get "the lump," which I have been told is a spasm in the esophogus due to stress. If you are having problems breathing or swallowing food or water, you should definitly go to your doctor to rule out anything serious. Mine sometimes last a day, sometimes last a week or more. I am one of these people that sit there and constantly dwell on things....."what if I have cancer," "what if my acid reflux is eating my esophogus," etc... Haha. It's terrible. I know it's just me letting my mind control me, and so at those times, I just have to take back control of my body. Yoga, meditation, warm liquids, making sure your acid is under control, all these things supposedly help. However, the best thing that I have found is just relaxing, or doing something you enjoy that takes your mind off of it. Also knowing others have the same problem helps... :) good luck, and don't let it get the best of you :!:
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Lump / Tightness In Throat
Hi I am suffering the same problems as most of you folks.
My throat feels constantly tight as if somebody has a big leather belt around it and are pulling it tight. Sometimes when im out in public I notice it and start to panic, and feel like I am dieing ..... And that I cant breath. I get really really scared.
Othertimes I can be at home relaxed then >>>> bang I feel like I cant breath and if im having a heart attack. I also have a lot of phlem and mucus in my throat and try to cough it up from my chest.
I dont know what to do, as it is getting worse and is making me take time off work. Should I go to the doctor and ask for medication if so what sort? Please help.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
???
I haven't been diagnosed with gad or any other anxiety disorder, but have read lots about it. For the past month or so, I have had alot of anxiety issues. My husband started a new job and we wont have insurance til june 1st. I have had 2 people I know die and that has seemed to really get me started. If i'm home alone with my 2 kids I have a constant worry of will I have a heart attack, am I gonna die, will something happen?? For the past 2 days I have obsessed over this feeling of a lump in my throat, pain in my sternum, aches in my neck and back, and today I had a bout of rapid heart beating for about 2 min. I've been told all of these are symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder????
|

replied May 27th, 2006
Lump In Throat
Just a quick question. Does anyone feel like there are truly lumps in your neck? Unfortunately, when I wasn't feeling like this, I never really paid any attention to what my throat felt like from the outside, but now all I can do is watch myself swallow and feel my neck in the front. It doesn't really look like there is anything there, but my brain is so much on my throat and neck that it seems like there is something there. Then, to top it all off, I got a sore throat 2 days ago. Probably from allergies, but thought I might be coming down with a cold. Now I can't stop thinking about my throat. I'm so confused and don't really want to go to the doctor because I don't want to have to go through a bunch of tests to find out it is just stress - of which I have a lot of!!!! Plus, if a doctor tells me that I have to have tests, I will be a total basic-case until I get the results. I kind of had this stuff a while back, but it went away. Now it's back with a vengence. I truly think sometimes that i'm gonna go crazy. I really need to find out, but am afraid to find out. Sounds like i'm already crazy huh? All I know is that sometimes the skin on my throat area feels like it is being pulled really tight. Anyone else feel this?
|

replied November 12th, 2011
i have the same problem but a bit different.....
do you have an email address that i can talk to you privately?
|

replied May 31st, 2006
I've had problems with holding tension in my throat for it seems like a very long time, but recently it's gotten worse because of stress. I know that it is caused by stress but i'm always worried that it is going to create some real problem with my throat.

Do you have large tonsils? I was just wondering if other people who do this also have large tonsils and other problems with their throats. I have always had large tonsils and every time I get a cold or sick at all it always starts out with a sore throat. I've considered taking them out but i'm not sure that it would really help if it's just a psycological thing. Have any of you taken your tonsils out and did it help?
|

replied June 2nd, 2006
Im glad I saw this, because yesterday I noticed a "lump in my throat" and, being a hypochondriac thought it was cancer. It's exam week and i've been under a lot of stress...Also taking a lot of adderall and not eating or sleeping well (or at all for that matter). So i'm glad to hear that the lump is a common symptom of simple stress or anxiety..Because that would make a lot of sense for me. I mean, I was just about to write my will because I was so convinced I had throat cancer.

Actually, the "lump" feels like it's gotten smaller since i've read enough to convince me it most likely is not life-threatening. Hm.
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Lump In Throat
I am so glad I read these responses. I have been to my gi doctor and now to my general practioner and both have said the "lump in my throat" feeling is due to stress. I also had numbness and tingling in my legs and arms last fall and was convinced I had ms. After an mri and 2 neuro visits, they told me it was stress. Now since march, I have had extremely severe head aches and my gp still says it is stress related. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing it is hard to swallow and have the feeling of a pill being stuck in my throat. It gets worse as the day goes on. I have acid reflux and am on nexium. I have only been on it for 2 weeks and it seems to be helping the acid reflux problem at least. I am so glad that there are people in my same boat. My husband thinks i'm crazy. I am a mom of 3 little boys 5 and under so I guess they are the cause of all this!
|
Users who thank kfwilliams for this post: stillfromny 

replied June 8th, 2006
Tightness In My Throat
Hi everyone, im alyssa, 16. I feel like my throat is constantly being strained by, I dont know what, but its really getting to me. Ive had this tight feeling for like 3 months now, and im pretty sure its caused by anxiety and stress. But, I am constantly challenging myself in school and I need to be at the top of my game for my junior year. I will be forced to cope with stress, so I must get rid of this before my fall semester begins. If anyone has been cured of this please tell me where to get help and how to help myself!

Thankyouu,
alyssa.
|

replied June 10th, 2006
Re: Lump In Throat
kfwilliams wrote:
i am so glad I read these responses. I have been to my gi doctor and now to my general practioner and both have said the "lump in my throat" feeling is due to stress. I also had numbness and tingling in my legs and arms last fall and was convinced I had ms. After an mri and 2 neuro visits, they told me it was stress. Now since march, I have had extremely severe head aches and my gp still says it is stress related. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing it is hard to swallow and have the feeling of a pill being stuck in my throat. It gets worse as the day goes on. I have acid reflux and am on nexium. I have only been on it for 2 weeks and it seems to be helping the acid reflux problem at least. I am so glad that there are people in my same boat. My husband thinks i'm crazy. I am a mom of 3 little boys 5 and under so I guess they are the cause of all this!

when I read this it was like reading something I wrote myself. I too had convinved myself I had ms. Talk about scary. This tight throat thing is unbelievable. Even though you convince yourself it's stress it's just not that simple to will it away. I've tried to explain the feeling to doctors or friends and even I think I sound crazy. I guess its something you have to experience to understand. Although I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I have seen gastro docs, ent, gp's, neurologists and even now feel at times they are are wrong. I also have three children. It's hard to be a wife and mother when your not feeling well. I often pray just to feel normal again. I've been struggling with this for ten years.
|

replied October 8th, 2006
I understand exactly how you feel. I have had anxiety for almost three years now. I get that 'lump in my throat' feeling a lot, and sometimes it does not go away for awhile. I cant really explain the 'lump in the throat' feeling to anyone who has it because it is one of those things I feel you only know if you have experienced. All I can tell you is that although it can be anxiety causing and concerning, it wont kill you or hurt you. In fact, although you havent had a panic attack in two weeks, and even if you feel as though your not anxious. Anxiety can be there on a subconcious level. I get constant stomach aches that are just there, even when I am feeling fine. If it is something that really concerns you though, talk to your doctor. Good luck with the medications, and one helpful thing to do while your on meds is always tell your doctor everything your feeling, good or bad, even if you think a symptom is not so bad, trust me it will be worth the while.
Hope you feel better very soon! :d
|
Quick Reply