Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Keeping House

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder after about 18 years of ups and downs, being treated for depression, testing for many diseases that might be causing my symptoms. What I am struggling with is believing my therapist when she tells me that I could be a different person with mood stabilizers. I started on lamictal on wednesday and we will see. I have been struggling for so long now that I can't hardly believe anything positive.

Anyway, on to the house, does anyone else have trouble with just sitting around for hours looking at all that needs to be done but not ever getting started? I do the very minimal most times just to keep my husband happy and just to have clean clothes for the next day. We live out of laundry baskets and I can't ever seem to get caught up on anything.

Please tell me if you have experienced this and if you have any tips for coping.

Thanks Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
Hi;
I understand how you feel this illness can sometimes take you completely over. I get up many days and just want everything to go away. It is part of the illness. I am an energetic person anyways so just give myself a good talking to and tell myself that getting busy will in many ways help to get me going. I have been on meds for 18 years now and they in themselves can slow you down. Just set one goal for yourself at a time, it makes it easier then you won't feel so bad if something doesn't get done. Like say to yourself. Okay, I will just do the dishes, and surprise maybe you might feel better and say, well maybe I can mop the floor. I know it is hard, don't be so hard on yourself, one step at a time, treat yourself to a five minute sit down and maybe say, now I can do the laundry. Hope it helps.
Leslie
|

replied December 5th, 2004
Thanks for replying. I will give it a try with the small goals. Some days it is all I can do to just think and get myself cleaned up and take the kids to school. I will keep plugging away at it and see if the meds help.

Thanks again!
|

replied December 5th, 2004
Experienced User
Bzbabs,
that a girl, I know it is not easy believe me. Today was one of those days for me. Getting my xmas decorations up. Didn't even feel like it at first but once I got going my spirits picked up. Just hang in there. I've got a big heart and good listening skills. In my prayers
leslie(59f)
|