Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

How Soon Will Birth Control Pills Work

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I went on birth control pills 9 days ago so I have taken 9 pills. Should I trust them just yet? The directions like usual say wait a week but should I trust that?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 29th, 2004
Experienced User
I waited a month so my body could get used to an entire cycle of pills.
|

replied November 29th, 2004
Most doctors would counsel you to wait a full month before trusting them fully. Although most Dr.S always say to use another form of bc along with birth control pills to be safe. If you are absolutely positively not ready for a child, I would use at the very least some spermacide just to be careful. I just know way too many people who have become a statistic in the 1% of women who get pregnant while using the pill correctly. Hehe
|

replied December 1st, 2004
The intrusctions on my presciption say it depends on when you start the pill. Are you a sunday starter or do you start the pill when you get your period?
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
I'm starting my birth control pill on sunday and my instructions say that they will be effective after a week. But my doctor says a month. Who should I believe?
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Well the rx says a week.... The patch says at as well if you start within 24hrs of your period.... But to be extra cautious, (as we all should) I would wait a month. Everyones body is different and a week may not be enough for your body to be regulated by the pills.
|