Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Wake Up to Body Shaking Badly (Page 1)

Every morning when I wake up my entire body (head, neck, arms, legs) shakes for a few moments or so. My husband wakes me up in the mornings and says it looks like I am having a seziure. I am alert and aware of the shaking but unable to controll it. I have done this for a little over a year but it does seem to be getting worse. I shake occasionally during the day in the hands and legs sometimes mostly due to anxiety. I have bi polar disorder and panic disoder and have taken several medications over the last year or so in treatment, none having any effect on the shaking. Anyone else have this? Confused Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper schlepro
|

replied November 25th, 2004
I think we have the same thing. My wife will wake me up at night saying that i'm shaking in my sleep. Like a seizure or something - but I know its not a seizure because all she has to do is touch me or call my name and I wake up. During the day I know I don't have a tremor or shake in my hands unless I get around alot of people.

Have you had any injuries to your head?
|

replied November 25th, 2004
Btw, I would think your medication might have something to do with what's happening. I don't currently take any medication for anything and I shake. Confused
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Shaking During Sleep
I dont think my medications have anything to do with it. I have been on several different ones over the last year or so and the shaking has never been affected. My psychiatrist told me that the meds I currently take should not cause any shaking, and that I should see my primary doctor. He has me scheduled for a brain ct, and a possible refferral to a neurologist. Have you broght this up with your doctor? The only reason I am concerned really is because it seems to be getting worse. How long have you done this? I shook so badly the other nght I woke up my husband who is a very heavy sleeper, and this time I was not even aware that I was shaking.

Juneamy
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Shaking
No I have had no head injury. Question
|

replied November 29th, 2004
After some extensive research I think the word for this experience is "myoclonic jerking" or myoclonus

http://www.Ninds.Nih.Gov/disorders/myoclon us/detail_myoclonus.Htm

there are many things that could alter the way your medications affect your body - most especially changes in diet. You might also be developing a resistance to the meds (?) a ct scan is always a good idea though and it will put to rest many worries if it comes back ok. I will pray for you that it does. I started shaking at night (randomly - seems like more when i'm tired or sick) after I had some sort of physical side affect from mixing some medication. I don't ever notice that i'm shaking or jerking as my wife says until she wakes me up and then I feel like i'm a little shaken up.

I'm pretty sure though that you're experiencing the same thing as it cannot be a true nocturnal seizure you're having. I assume it's easy enough to wake up when its happening and you know where you are right?
|

replied December 1st, 2004
Shaking Upon Waking-ct Results
Yeah I am aware of my surroundings and dont feel disorientated at all afterward. It seems to happen mainly during the period between wakefullness and deep sleep. Although, it has occured in dead sleep before, and I do have tremor in my arms and legs during the day, and internal tremor sometimes. My brain ct came back with some irregular reading on it and I am now scheduled for an mri tomorrow. Whiich has me a little concerned, even though I realize that routine follow up after a ct is fairly common. I wonder though, if some sort of sleep study at a sleep center isnt the next reasonable step, as it seems to mainly occur upon waking up. The research I have done really seems to say this occuranc is fairly common and harmless, but with increasing severity like I have been experiencing, it is really becoming troublesome. I wake approximatly 3-6 times per morning starting at about 4 am, shaking, untill I finally get up at about 6 a.M. So it is deffinetly disturbing my sleep.

Gggggggggrrrr........I just want some answers in stone, ya kinow?

Juneamy
|

replied December 2nd, 2004
Yep, its the same thing. I know my wife has woken me like a few minutes after i've fallen asleep. I can't recall if i've ever done it before waking up but sometimes in the morning I kinda feel like i've been shaken up, you know?

Now that I think about it I do have a minor tremor in my hands during the day.I can get pretty anxious sometimes though. Hmm. I know how you feel though and i'm glad you're getting things checked out now. It will put many things at ease...Please keep me updated ok?
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Mri Results
My mri came back fine. No problems thank god for that anyway.
But now where do I go from here? Lol try to learn to live with it I guess, and be watchfull for more symptoms to show themselves.

Juneamy
|

replied August 10th, 2011
Hi, I just stumbled upon this old thread after searching for something that's just started happening to me. I guess, it's just like what you described. Did you ever find out what was happening or did it ever stop?
I hope so.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2012
convulsing while sleeping
i have been having the exact same thing. I have had an eeg and ct scan done and also an mri. everything came up normal. i have gotten to the point to where I am having these convulsion episodes unaware. sometimes i wake up in so much pain in my diaphram. The doctors say they dont know whats wrong. I have been having these episodes for five months along with the extreme pain.
|

replied December 4th, 2004
Great! :] I know that will make you feel better. I hope you have no more symptoms and life will be happy cuz I will be praying for you.

Brad
|

Thanks brad. You take care, its been nice chatting with you.
Juneamy
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Have you checked out e.M.D.R.? It could be something that happened in the past, that is in the back of your mind that is trying to surface, e.M.D.R. Is great, it is such a nice release and it is done by a psychologist, not a psychologist so you do not have to worry about being prescribed more meds.
A good blood work up and physical helps too.
The best to ya!
Sincerely,
sandy
|
Users who thank sandyallen for this post: shahzaib 

replied May 15th, 2005
Seizure
Yeah,,, seizure eh. Try some inositol in 4 to 6 gram range to calm the nerves. I hope that helpsl
|

replied December 11th, 2005
I know this post is over a year old, but I just saw it. And I have the same exact problem!! I wake up numerous times in the night to shaking like crazy. Almost like a low blood sugar shaking. But then I take glucose pills, or eat something, and it doesn't go away. I then have to take an ativan or xanax to calm down. Should I go for a sleep study?? I think that's the answer. Anyone figure out what causes this at all???

Christie
|

replied December 26th, 2005
I Have This Problem Too
I have a shaking problem as well seizures I guess and like i'm sleeping but full aware that i'm shaking like in my head i'm like telling it to stop or whatever but then i'm no longer aware of anything i'm like back to sleep. I'm not sure if i'm shaking or not anymore though. But when I wake up I will have bit my tongue which is very painful. The other night when I went to sleep at my friends house I have a seizure and when I woke up there was blood on the pillow and a new sore in my mouth. Each and every time I have these seizures the next day I feel terrible I have a really bad headache more like I guess migrane like even when I blink it hurts I just feel at my worst. I also use to have really bad hand mussel I think like tightening up like my right hand would clench together. Also my whole right side would start sort of shaking and I couldn't control it sometimes during the day or at school or in the home.

I still have this problem in my right side. Now that I read over this I have had this problem for sometime but I do suffer from depression and ed's so that could be the case. But the shaking thing on my whole right side I have had for a while i'm 19 now and I have had the shaking on my side since I was a young teen maybe even a little younger. I know also that my birthmother ( i'm adopted) had done drugs and I was born premature. So I don't know if that helps any either. Sometime's during the day as well I will feel a little disorented like I could fall over or something but someone taps me and ask are you okay and i'm somewhat fine after just a little weird feeling? If that makes any sense...But ill make an appointment with a doctor to see whats going on for sure. Because I don't regulary take my medication and since my diet is all messed up it could be that to. So we shall see thanks guys...
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Husband And 8 Month Old Son Shake In Sleep Also
My husband and 8mth old son shake in there sleep also. But when I wake either of them up it stops. My husband says he doesn't even know he is doing it. I wasn't so worried when it was only my husband doing this but now my son has also started this. I feel it might be hereditary. But would like to know what it is that causes this.
|

replied March 28th, 2007
Help !
Hi all, I have exactly the same symptoms as Juneamy and other's here. Just had an MRI scan, all is normal. Has anyone come up with any answers yet ?

Thanks all.
N
|

replied April 5th, 2007
Hm.
i have this problem as well. i am as well bi polar, and i think that it may be due to a manic stage, but im not sure. like i'd figure that in a manic stage that i would just not sleep at all, but i do, i just wake up sporaticaly and often shaking uncontrollably all over my body.
|

replied June 28th, 2007
Body Shakes Upon Waking
SO glad to see this post! My husband thinks I"m crazy, but I've been experiencing this for a little over a year. When it first started, it was only occasionally and I thought that the bed was shaking subtly, as if my cat was sitting on it and she was scratching herself. But after a few times of wondering why my cat was scratching herself on my bed every morning, I realized that it wasn't the cat (or an earthquake!), it was ME!
Lately, I shake for about 30 seconds everytime I wake up....whether it's from a nap or overnight sleep.
I have NO idea why or what the mechanism is behind it. Is it neurological? hormonal? muscular?? It is really weird. I could certainly live with it as a symptom for the rest of my life, but the "not knowing" aspect of it is what I find disturbing. I worry that it's a symptom of a larger problem, I guess.

I am glad to see that others have had a similar experience!
|

replied July 1st, 2012
I wake up thinking we are having a earth tremor and after a few seconds I realize the room and bed are not shaking it's me. I had that often while I was under a lot of stress. It stopped for a couple of years and the other night I awoke with the same feeling of shaking again.
|

replied August 14th, 2007
Waking Up Shaking
I have been recently waking up shaking like I was freezing. I have just dozed off to sleep. It never happens during the day. I have no control and it lasts about 45 minutes. I am totally aware. My muscles all tense up and I just shake uncontrollably. My doctor is thinking it is related to my multiple sclerosis but it doesn't seen logical to me. There is nothing that happens before bed that I can put my finger on as the cause. My meds are all the same. It was happening far and few between but is now coming more frequently.
|