Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Knees And Hips

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
Hi all,

i have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right knee. Apparently there is quite a lot of damage to the medial portion of the joint. I'm 38 yrs old, and an ex-jogger. I take vit c, glucosamine & chondroitin. I work out in the gym to strengthen my legs and core and I am trying to lose weight.

I have also had popping hips for a few years. It just started one day and used to happen only occasionally, usually when I rolled over in bed. Now my left side (the good side) seems to be clicking about 10 times a day and it can happen with any position change. It's not painful, although I sometimes get a vague ache when sitting. I have no pain when walking around.

A lot of the women in my family seem to have developed knee problems at the same time - in the past few years - despite the difference in ages (i'm by far the youngest), so I guess it's hereditary. Obviously if it had started manifesting itself in the family before I took up jogging, I never would have started!!

My grandfather had bad hips in later life and I am wondering if I am about to cop oa in my hips as well as my knees. Has anybody got any thoughts on the matter?

Many thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Knees & Hips
Osteoarthritis does tend to run in families. The probability of developing oa is more when other relative is suffering from the same.
Also are you an obese person? Or have you been putting on weight of late and if so how much?
The popping sound in the hips could likely be initial stages of arthritis of that joint.
Homeopathic medicine has good remedies like bryonia, rhus tox, guiacum etc. To relieve the pain, swelling and stiffness of the joints and alos to see that the progression of ostearthritis is slowed down.
I am sure homeopathic medicine would be of help to you.
Dr.Venugopal gouri.
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Hips And Knees
I'm eighteen and my hips have been popping about 15 times a day (or more) whenever I get up after sitting for a few minutes. My knees pop if i've been sitting for longer, but my hips are by far worse. This has been going on for over a year, and I play sports and such, but not excessively so I don't know what it could be. I'm not sure if it's connected to ankle pains i've had my whole life though. Speaking of which the doctor has never been able to suggest anything but growing pains. Hopefully they are, but it's just getting worse and I haven't "grown" for a few years. It seems to only happen after a long day of activity, but lately it's been during the day too. To sum up, I need new legs. But the popping hips is just incredibly loud and although it's not painful, i'm wondering what it means.
|