Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Bacterial Infections ( Gardenella)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Has anyone had a bacterial infection called gardenella, I have it and i've taken two different medicines for it, and it still hasn't gone away. Does anyone know anything about it, if so please advise Question Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper alexis2004
|

replied November 20th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
You have bacterial vaginosis.It is very uncomfortable and can be painful and difficult to treat.Maybe your partner should be tested as well.If he is the source of the infection,he will only reinfect you if he is not treated.I had a problem with this nasty infection several years ago and needed several rounds of meds to get rid of it.I was on flagyl and needed both oral and vaginal meds to clear it up.See your doc agian to get retreated and make sure your honey gets checked out as well.Best of luck to you!!Patty
|

replied September 30th, 2005
I Know This Is An Old Thread, But For Searchers
The previous information is not true. Gardenella can only be passed back and forth during sex the way a yeast infection can if your male partner is uncircumsized. But unless your man is cheating on you, is uncircumsized and doesn't wash up (all at once!), he can't be the source. It's a bacteria that naturally grows in the vagina in small amounts, like yeast does, and it's just what happens when your natural balance falls out of whack on the bacterial side instead of the yeast side. Take the antibiotics, I suggest antibiotic creme. Sure, it's a little messy, but a lot of them are just one use and you'll feel the relief pretty fast. Just remember that if you're predisposed to gardinella problems and you get a yeast infection, be prepared to call the doc if the yeast clears up and there seems to be another problem popping up, the same way you would if you were on antibiotics for something and got a yeast infection from it.

(as a comment to the above reply, bacterial vaginosis is a general term and can range from bacterial overgrowth that just pops up to sexually transmitted disease. The original poster was wise to say that it was gardenella specifically, but the first replier gave advice that more appropriate for sexually transmitted diseases. Just because you have an infection below the belt does not mean you have a sexually transmitted disease.)
|

replied June 18th, 2008
The cause of BV is not fully understood. BV is associated with an imbalance in the bacteria that are normally found in a woman's vagina. The vagina normally contains mostly "good" bacteria, and fewer "harmful" bacteria. BV develops when there is an increase in harmful bacteria.

Not much is known about how women get BV. There are many unanswered questions about the role that harmful bacteria play in causing BV. Any woman can get BV. However, some activities or behaviors can upset the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina and put women at increased risk including:
Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners,
Douching
It is not clear what role sexual activity plays in the development of BV. Women do not get BV from toilet seats, bedding, swimming pools, or from touching objects around them. Women who have never had sexual intercourse may also be affected.
|

replied July 18th, 2008
I found out today...
Gardenella is NOT passed through just sex...and neither is a yeast infection. I've had a yeast infection before, and I found out today that i have Gardenella, and I've never had sex--I'm only 17, so I have no reason to have sex just now. My doctor prescribed me Flagyl (but, of course, the pharmacy gave me generic), and told me to take one pill twice a day for a week.

OK, well, I just wanted to put that out there, even though this is a very old thread. I'm always willing to share information that I learn about with others.
|

replied February 28th, 2009
Garnella and yeast infection
I have a problem with yeast infection that keeps reoccuring and yesterday the doctor told me i had gardenella which explains the oddor that i have been having along with the nasty discharge. he prescribed sporasec i hope it works
|

replied March 24th, 2009
Gardenella
I had a pap smear recently. The results showed I had Gardenella. I was told it's another name for Trichomoniasis, which is an std.
I was given Acuzole (metronidazole) to treat it.
The previous posts confused me though.
Was it an std or not???
|

replied April 1st, 2009
gardrenella during pregnancy
Few years ego i had gardrenella, than went to the doctor. I used all in once antibiotic. It did not go away but the discharge was a lot less and less smelly. So all in one day antibiotic did not work really.
Than i fell pregnant; during the pregnancy there was awful amount of watery discharge with grey cloudy things inside, and it was burning wherever it touches on my skin and very itchy. Doctor said it is yeast infection but they could'nt give any medication because i was pregnant. So soon after the birth i was brestfeeding my baby and my nipples and surrounding area become infected and very painful. The skin on my breast was peeling continuously also skin on my lips was peeling too i was peeling the skin and thinking ok it is finished but next day there was more. It went on like this more than 6 weeks. I did not go to doctor because people including the health visitor told me because of the breastfeeding my breast was infected and told me to put some creams on it.
It was like torture every time i try to feed my baby because of the pain. Than finally i went to doctor and she took some swab and in the end i was told i had gardrenella, and she gave me some medicine to take 1 pill 2 times a day for 7 days. i also showed her my breast and lips and my skin comes of all the time but she could'nt diagnosed what it was. However i took medicines for 7 days and they were all gone no gardrenalla, no pain , no yeast infection and no peeling.The reason i m wrighting this here yeast infection and abnormal peel of the skin; all these were connected to gardrenella. That is what i strogly believe.
|