Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Cramps

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
This morning I had horrible cramps...I couldnt move!! Im almost 22 weeks, is this normal? My mum works for the ob that I go to (she is a nurse there} and she said its prolly stretching pains....Are they supposed tobe that bad?! They went away and baby is kicking hard today so I think everythings ok...But has anyone else had these nasty cramps??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey sweetie!! Well i'm only 4 weeks... So I wouldn't know, but if your mom is a nurse and she says it's normal then i'd just try to rest easy about it unless it continues to happen!! Awwww.... I can't wait untill I start to show!!! Heeee heeee.... Good luck hun, try not to worry your self with it too much!!!

Wink teresa
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thanks hun! Believe me...The time goes by fast. Yea...My momthinks im a baby and shakes her head when I tell her I have a pain! She says, "you just wait!" hehe....Ah well. If it keeps happening ill bemore concerned, but until then ill take your advice and relax! Good luck to you!!
|

Experienced User
I hope the time goes by fast... My first app. Is friday!!! I hope someone else posts something that has been through or is going through the "cramps" thing... I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!! Your mom sounds just like mine!!! I have light cramps in my lower tummy, but everyone told me that it's normal. Well ttyl!!! Again...Goodluck!!! How old ya? (if you don't mind me asking)

Wink teresa
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Id say as long as those cramps arent followed by some heavy blood flow, then you're ok.

I don't think I paid attention to cramps, if ive had them. I have pretty much gone through both pregnancies with no problems. Only towards the end do I feel the little aches and pains. I am 30w2d and im starting to feel a little uncomfy, but nothing I cant handle.

I think you should rest easy and believe they are normal! :d
|

replied November 18th, 2004
If u cant move.....
|

Extremely eHealthy
is it normal to feel abdominal cramps during pregnancy?
pains in the stomach alone are rarely a sign of a serious problem. Carrying a baby puts a lot of pressure on muscles, ligaments, veins and the rest of your insides, so it's not surprising that you feel some discomfort, particularly in the midriff. Most of this can be eased by getting into a new position or finding a way to relax. If other symptoms are present they may be a sign of a more serious problem.

when should I call a doctor?
if you experience cramping along with spotting, heavy bleeding, fever, chills, vaginal discharge, tenderness, and pain, or if the cramps don't subside after several minutes of rest, call your doctor. Here are some of the ailments that cause cramps:

ectopic pregnancy:

• what you might experience: cramping accompanied by pain and tenderness, usually starting on one side then spreading across the abdomen.

• what causes it: the fertilised egg has been implanted outside the uterus, either in the fallopian tubes, an ovary, abdominal cavity, or the cervix.

• when it might occur: the first trimester

• what to do: call your doctor immediately. Ectopic pregnancy can be a life-threatening situation if untreated.

early miscarriage:

• what you might experience: cramps accompanied by bleeding and pain in the centre of the lower abdomen during the first three months of pregnancy.

• what causes it: in the first trimester, most losses occur because the fetus wasn't developing properly. Rarely do they result from anything the mother did or failed to do.

• when it might occur: from the first to the 12th week of pregnancy.

• what to do: call your doctor, lie or sit down with your feet up, and, as much as possible, relax. If your cramping is accompanied by heavy bleeding, call 999 or go to the nearest casualty department. Upon examination, a doctor can determine if a miscarriage has occurred, is in progress, or is only threatening.

late miscarriage:

• what you might experience: cramps accompanied by heavy bleeding

• what causes it: usually a failure in the placenta, or the mother's illness or injury.

• when it might occur: between the 12th and 20th weeks of pregnancy.

• what to do: if cramping is associated with heavy bleeding, call your doctor and go to the nearest casualty department. If a miscarriage is underway or has occurred, the cramping can continue and a d and c may be required. If miscarriage is only threatening, the doctor or midwife may prescribe bed rest.

premature labour:

• what you might experience: rupture of the membranes (your water breaks); a change in the type (watery, bloody, or mucus-like) or an increase in the amount of vaginal discharge; pelvic or lower abdominal pressure; constant, dull, low backache; mild abdominal cramps and/or diarrhoea; regular contractions or uterine tightening, often painless.

• what causes it: many factors can bring about premature labour, including illness and stress on the mother. But often the cause is unknown.

• when it might occur: anytime between weeks 20 and 36.

• what to do: call your doctor immediately and go directly to the nearest large medical centre. There, a medical team may try to stop the labour with medication and / or bedrest. If the labour is stopped, you will most likely be prescribed bedrest and perhaps a medication to stop the contractions for the duration of your pregnancy.

Is there anything I can do for ordinary cramps?
If your cramps aren't caused by any of the problems described above, you can take some steps to ease the ache. Start by trying to identify the cause:

ligament stretching:

• what you might experience: mild cramps on one or both sides.

• what causes it: ligaments are stretching to support your growing uterus.

• when it might occur: from early through to late pregnancy.

• what to do: sit down or lie down and put your feet up. Resting comfortably when pain occurs usually alleviates cramping.

orgasm:

• what you might experience: cramps during and after orgasm, sometimes combined with a backache.

• what causes it: the veins of your pelvis may be congested. Or you may be tense; many people feel nervous about having sex during pregnancy.

• when it might occur: any time during pregnancy.

• what to do: although you needn't avoid sex during a normal pregnancy, you may want to take it soft and slow. A gentle post-orgasm back rub may help soothe the pain.

pre-labour:

• what you might experience: cramps and persistent lower back pain.

• what causes it: increased pressure on the pelvis and rectum.

• when it might occur: the last few weeks of pregnancy.

• what to do: pre-labour cramping is much less severe than the contractions you'll experience during labour. Some women find resting on the sofa helps, while others opt for a more active walk. Finding your own way to relax and manage discomfort will serve you well during real labour.
|

I kinda doubt a ob nurse would tell u its nothign especially if its her grandchild but w/e
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well...This morning iwent to the hospital because they got really bad! (the cramps). They did an ultrasound to look at my cervix (one of those internal ones! Eeek!!) and the doc said everything looked fine. He said he is kind of concerened that the baby's head is real low, but that could just have been her position at the time....Thanks for all the posts!! I feel much better after seeing her moving around!!
|

Extremely eHealthy
And about my mom---she didnt say it was "nothing" she told me that it was prolly stretching pains, and that it was prolly nothing to worry about. My mom cares very much about me, especially thru this pregnancy, and would never blow me off....If that is what you are getting to.
|

Sarah,
i'm glad that everything turned out okay! I'll be prayin for your baby!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thank you heather!! I appreciate that!! Im glad everything is ok too.....In a world where you learn that cramps during preg=bad...Its scary!!!
|

Glad its ok, sarah.

I am very surprised at myself for not going to labor and delivery yet for either pregnancy. I haven't had complications to tell me to go. I guess I am a lucky one.
|

Light cramps are typical during pregnancy
|

Extremely eHealthy
I have had light cramps off and on...I know they are normal...But these ones I had were painful!!
|