Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Went Off Birth Control Pill

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hello, I just have a few questions for anyone that has went off birth control pills. I went off the pill on oct 24. I was on them for 7 years. My question is is it normal to have bad stomach aches and cramps after going off them? My stomach has been hurting and cramping for about a week now. I also have been getting really bloated. Lots of discharge.

I went off the pill because probably in the next year we are going to start trying for a baby. Right now we are using the pull out method.

Thanks for your replys!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bbgeek
|

replied November 17th, 2004
Experienced User
You might have a baby well before next year if you're using the pull-out method as your only form of protection! Pull-out method doesn't work, and if you don't want a baby before next year, invest in some condoms.

As for your symptoms with going off the pill, im not sure what to tell you. Your body is probably just trying to adjust to the changes in the hormone levels it has now.

Maybe you should have stayed on the pills, especially if you aren't trying to get pregnant now. Ah, sorry... I wish I could be more help to you, but I thought I would say something about the whole pull-out method thing.
|

Thanks for replying!! I'm not sure if I beleave you or not about the pull out method. Before I went on the pill I used this method for a year and a half. I know certain people think you can get pregnant this way and others say no way. I really don't know but if I get pregnant it will be fine with us. I know if you are a teenager this method would not work because they don't have much control. I really appreciate you replying and thanks for the advise.
|

Experienced User
You can only get pregnant during the 4-14 days (depending on your cycles) when you are ovulating (usually happens about 4-14 days after your period is over, depending on your cycle). After that (about a two week period, again, depending on your cycle) you can have sex with no possibility of getting pregnant because you have already ovulated, there is no egg to fertilize.

You are able to have sex, usually, through the second day of your period, third if you have a longer (28+ days) cycle.

If you want to know more information about knowing when you are ovulating, check out the natural family planning thread (it might be buried a little). I've typed up detailed information on how to know.

It's easy, once you get the hang of it, it's free, and it's as effective as birth control (99%).

As far as your symptoms go, they sound pretty normal. Coming off bcp can really mess around with your hormones and the natural system your body has. It will normalize eventually.

You can check out these books: the art of natural family planning, and taking charge of your fertility (i think that's what it's called) to learn alternative methods of birth control from the pill.
|

I have been reading alot about natural family planning because when I was on birth control pill and the patch I had no sex drive.
|

Experienced User
You don't have to believe me about the pull-out method, but just know how lucky you are that it worked for you for as long as it did. And like you said, it's not a big deal if you get pregnant now or a year from now, so good luck to you! I hope everything works out the way you want it to.
|

replied December 6th, 2004
Re: Went Off Birth Control Pill
bridget28ack wrote:
hello, I just have a few questions for anyone that has went off birth control pills. I went off the pill on oct 24. I was on them for 7 years. My question is is it normal to have bad stomach aches and cramps after going off them? My stomach has been hurting and cramping for about a week now. I also have been getting really bloated. Lots of discharge.

I went off the pill because probably in the next year we are going to start trying for a baby. Right now we are using the pull out method.

Thanks for your replys!!

i am in pretty much the exact same situation as you are "bridget28ack". I've been on the pill for about 7 yrs. As well and i'm thinking of going off them to start a family. I'm just not sure how long it would take to become pregnant. I'm sure it takes a while for a persons body to get back to pre-pill stage. I remember how much worse my periods were before I went on the pill as compared to now. They were soooooo much worse!! I've also heard that you should wait until your body returns to normal before you start trying for a baby. It may not be so, but that's just what I have heard. Well good luck and i'll keep checking back to see how things are going for you!!
|

replied December 7th, 2004
Experienced User
My sex drive was also significantly low on bcp

changed when I came off. My periods are back to what they used to be before bcp (worse cramps, heavier flow) but i'm happy to deal with that and know that i'm not messing around with my hormones (personal preference, of course). My skin condition didn't really get better or worse on or off bcp

but I can rule over my emotions now, instead of letting them rule over me. On bcp I got really emotional, paranoid that my husband didn't love me, was going to be critical or was always meaning something other than what he was saying...It was ridiculous. That was another major reason I stopped taking bcp. Now I laugh and smile all the time--one of the reasons he is so attracted to me, instead of crying at the smallest thing and really frustrating him because I was always doubting him.

It was definitely a good move. If you have any q's about natural family planning, let me know.
|

replied December 7th, 2004
Yes, Me Too
I have been having the same problem last month when I went off birth control because I was experiencing blood clots. Dont worry, its normal to have that because of the hormonal change. I had a period for a month when I was on depo. Smile
|

replied December 18th, 2004
Off the Pill
I am also in the same situation. I was on the pill for 10 years and now off of it for three months I have had no period since being off the pill. I went to my doctor last week and he said not to worry about it yet. We are trying to do natural family planning for a year but it is hard to know when you are ovulating without a period. I have had no other side effects of going off of the pill. Please let me know if you have gotten back to your normal cycle. Thanks and good luck!
|

replied December 20th, 2009
So I seem to be having an opposite problem... I have went off the pill about a month ago and have been menstrating ever since... Some of it is just spotting and some is heavy flow, what can I do to help this???
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Glad to see other people have the same problems. I went off the birth control (NuvaRing not the pill) on Feb 26th after 10 years of use, had my normal 7 day pseudo period and now (19 days off BC) I have had mild cramping very isolated to my uterus. I have had this cramping for about 5 days now and although it isn't super painful (I haven't had to take anything for it) I wanted to find out if it is 'normal'. I also have the bloating, mild headache sometimes and tiredness/mild depression. Hoping to TTC later this year when the husband is ready so I'm just trying to get my body ready to go.

Would really like to know when my body is going to start cycling again as it feels like my period is starting everyday from these cramps. Also terrified that it will be the same as it was when I was a teenager - fetal position for the first day of my period every month... harsh, harsh cramps...
|