Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Itchy When Hot - What Is This? (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I hope this is the right place to post this.

For about a year, whenever my body got hot, I would get itchy all over and develop red splotches on my skin, which would disappear after my body cooled back down and the itching went away. The itching was unbareable (like pins sticking in every inch of my skin) and the red splotches were very noticeable. I would usually have to go outside into cold air or something to get it to go away. I didn't even have to get very hot - it seemed like even if my body temperature rose only slightly, this would happen.

It stopped happening around april of this year, but it's just started happening again within in the last month or so.

I searched all over the place and couldn't find anything that seemed to explain this. Everything that even came close said that one of the symptoms was raised red bumps on the skin, but I don't get that. It's just red splotches. And the itching doesn't seem to be related directly to them - it's all-over itchiness, even where there are no spotches.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Or even what this condition is called? Originally I thought it had something to do with allergies, but the fact that it went away in the summer and then came back when it started to get cold again is making me wonder if it could possibly be related to dry skin? (my skin doesn't look especially dry - how do you know if you have deverely dry skin?) I just haven't been able to find any information about people with dry skin getting itchy when they're hot. I also suspected that it was stress-related but I haven't had very much stress lately (much less than last year) and it's still happening. I did find one message on another board from someone who had the same symptoms, and the "doctor" who runs the board told him that he was developing "dysautonomia" and needed to learn "skilled relaxation", etc., or it would get worse, and then suggested that the poster purchase his book. So, i'm not sure I trust his "advice".

If anyone has any ideas at all, I would really appreciate it!! Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jennerifer
|
Users who thank dancerguy84 for this post: someone_helpful 

replied January 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Wow- I have similiar symptoms happen to me. Have you found anything else out?
|

replied December 29th, 2011
I know this post is old, but I wanted to post this here at the top of the page for anybody who's looking for a solution and finds this thread.

I had this recently, and praise The LORD- I've found a solution that works for me at least. And it's very cheap and simple.

I just started wearing long-sleeved shirts.

I guess I went along with the theory of it being winter time and my skin being dry and figured, hey, if I wear long-sleeves instead of t-shirts all the time it might keep my body heat/moisture in more. I started wearing them and the itching is almost entirely gone. I can sweat again without going through the itch pain!

Praise The LORD!

Hope this helps some of you!
|

replied September 19th, 2012
Detox!!! My boyfriend had the same problem, and my extra sensitive senses told me, "detox".. Once you do, eat healthier. Shouldn't happen again. Worth a try!!
|

replied September 27th, 2008
i have the exact same problem! and 1 thing i notice that it usually starts toward the colder seasons of the year. whenever my body temperature rises, either from a short exercise or just getting nervous i would start itching all over, and if i scratch them(which i usually do) it starts getting really red. the itchy and redness goes away in about 20min after i relax and stay cool. ive had this condition for over 4 years now it was really annoying in the beginning but i think ive gotten used to it. also i went to a dermy once about this and he said is actually pretty common and there isnt really a practical cure for it, most of the time "it cures itself" he said, but i still have this after a few years..so...

anyone have any idea of cause of this condition?
|

replied March 26th, 2012
A Solution!
I searched this whole thread, got an idea from one of them about sweat glands being plugged, which sounded likely since the itching starts when I'd normally start getting warm.

I pushed myself to walk and walk and walk until my back started sweating (where I itched), and IT STOPPED. As long as I exercise daily or somehow get sweaty many times a week, it does not itch.

Hallelujiah!!
|
Users who thank jennerifer for this post: someone_helpful 

replied January 17th, 2013
You need to detox
Basically you need to do four things on a daily basis:

1) drink plenty of water, this will cleanse your body

2) eat more fruits, especially apples which assist the body in breaking down the toxins

3) excersise daily so as to break into a sweat, ie jogging, jumping jacks, cycling, etc (drink quite a bit of water beforehand as it helps the body flush out the toxins once you start sweating)

4) eat more healthily

Do the above daily without fail and you will find you will not itch anymore.
|
Users who thank towergent for this post: someone_helpful 

replied October 6th, 2008
I also have the same problem. this is called Cholinergic Urticaria.

unfortunately, there is no real cure for this problem. My experience is that dont

scratch, just stay calm.
|

replied November 24th, 2008
have any of you noticed that you haven't broken a sweat since this started happening?

it sounds like there might be dirt or dead skin caught in your pores and skin might have grown over it.

try spa? steam room especially (not sauna, too dry and might cause a bad itch fest lol)
|

replied February 9th, 2009
Itchy When Hot - What Is This?
I have had same problem for almost ten years and it drove me crazy it was unbearable, then i began to sneeze uncontrolably when i became cold, my doctor gave me antihistermine tablets wich stopped the sneezing but what was even better it stopted me from iching when i hot,so i take one cetrizine everyday and if don,t it comes strait back so it a preventive not a cure
|

replied March 26th, 2012
It may work because antihistamines dry you out. Your body might be less likely to want to sweat when you take them?

I searched this whole thread, got an idea from one of them about sweat glands being plugged, which sounded likely since the itching starts when I'd normally start getting warm.

I pushed myself to walk and walk and walk until my back started sweating (where I itched), and IT STOPPED. As long as I exercise daily or somehow get sweaty many times a week, it does not itch.

Hallelujiah!!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
I have this i find mine dissapears when i have a sun tan, this may be why you dont experience it in the summer. Ive tried pills for it none of it which work ive had it for a couple of years now however no longer get the dots just the itchyness. Ive found that if at the start of a gym session i run for 12 mins starting at 10.5 km/ph increasing the speed by 0.5 every minute by 10 minutes the itching stops and doesnt re-occur for the rest of the day
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Itching when hot
I've had this same problem too for several years - except minus any rash or hives. Ironically it started after a bad sun reaction at the beach one summer - maybe an allergic reaction to the sunscreen? But it can happen when I exercise, the room gets too hot, whatever. I just itch all over - head, body, legs, arms. And it can be 18 degrees outside or 90.

My doc suggested taking a short acting antihistamine - benadryl or chlortrimiton, before I exercise since I already take Zyrtec and Pepcid/Zantac for other allergic issues. Kind of seems silly to dope myself up for 3-4 hours for a 30 minute walk but sometimes I do because it's really annoying. Can't say it helps that much even if I take a benadryl about 30 minutes before my power walk (w/ 2 hyper dogs!)

Good luck!
|

replied March 28th, 2009
Yeah I have the same problem! Whenever I get hot, I start itching everywhere, especially my back. It could be from exercising, eating hot soup, chile, the hot weather etc. I just try my best to avoid the heat. When I eat something hot, I have a fan right near me to keep me cool.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
I'm plagued with the same problem. I don't know if I get redness anywhere though. Living in California doesn't help. There's no escaping the heat in the summer. I don't have to really get that hot, I can be doing something simple like mowing the lawn and it's like some heat threshold is met and the wave of all-over itchiness is triggered. For me the itchiness is mostly on my back. Suddenly I'm like a bear looking for a tree to use as a back scratcher. I've had three real bad sun burns in my life and am fair skinned. When I say bad, I mean, my skin pealed and there was a stage during the skin pealing were the itching was so relentless that I wanted to throw myself out a window. This itching problem didn't start happening until after the third bad sun burn. The kind of itching I get when I get to a certain body temperature at a certain rate of thermal increase feels identical to when I was itchy from the sun burn, just less intense. I've observed three triggers that seem to catalyze the itching for me. #1 Getting hot. #2 Getting hot at a certain rate. #3 beginning to sweat. It's almost as if the sun burns have damaged my sweat glans and now instead of experiencing the first stage of sweating, I experience horrible itching instead. If I'm not careful and remain calm, it seems to get worse. Every time I get the itchiness, I'm reminded of the sun burns I got, and shudder to think about for what worse things this symptom might be a harbinger. I hope someone out there knows what's going on. Maybe it's just an allergy.
|

replied March 26th, 2012

I pushed myself to walk and walk and walk until my back started really sweating (where I itched), and IT STOPPED. As long as I exercise daily or somehow get sweaty many times a week, it does not itch.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
I found this post in the eHealth forum. http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic1186.h tml Hopefully that will answer some of the questions.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
hi
even i have the same problem
but i noticed that it happens in winters
1 if you drink hot tea or cofee
2 if you are in some heat area
3 if you start exercising

and it is unbearable , spl itching in head
all itchin places get red

I believe it is some thing releated to ulcer but i am not sure
if anyone knows the simple cure without medication please tell me
|

replied May 14th, 2009
wut the hell
about the first hot week this april i went t the park and realized i had very very small bumps on my forearms (almost unnoticeable). In about a week or so the spots continusously got bigger and began to spread all over my body, everywhere except for my face (thankfully) and now when i get even slighty hot i start to itch like crazy ive tried benadryl and a few other things thinking it mayb an allergic reaction but now i have no clue what it may b.....ANYONE??????
|

replied June 18th, 2009
after doing alot of researches concerning this skin disorder, i found out it has a common name called "uticaria".my itching is triggered by anything as it interferes with every activity i do even in sleep. paying visits to several dermy doctors have been fruitless as they keep telling me the same story over and over. however, i stopped taking hot showers and foods plus i always have a water bottle with me everythin so that i can sprinkle it on my skin if the itchin starts...hope this helps
|

replied June 26th, 2009
Hiya is that not prickly heat? My boyfriend gets that, he also gets heat lumps and he found that the pure aloe vera propolis cream and the aloe vera gelly works wonders.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Uticaria is not the same as heat rash / prickly heat. Antihistamines don't work for heat rash, not for me at least.

I have had the worst experience. I started getting hives about 6 months back. I started Zrytec once every 2 days and it went away but if I miss my med on the 2nd day, it will usually come back up. After a while, I started noticing little tiny red dots on my skin. Actually it was more like bleeding under the skin. This was during the time I was on Zrytec. Anyway I disregard it completely but as of last 2 months, my whole body would be covered with them whenever I get hot. The cause is exactly the same as what the others are getting. I can be doing simple things like cleaning my room and when it hits a certain heat threshold, i get a prickly sensation all over and a good 5 mins later, I'm covered with red dots.

Something that confuses me is that if I take Zrytec, I get non itching red dots under the skin. If I don't take Zrytec, I get slightly raised red bumps that itch. Either way its making my life miserable. I have to postpone activities with friends or cancel them all together.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
I forgot to mention that for both of these, they go completely away in about 45 mins to 2 hours if I keep myself calm.
|

replied July 16th, 2009
iv got the same thing every time i get hot i get ichy all over but i find if i push through it.and start to sweat after the crazyness of iching it slowly goes away but most of the time its unbearable and i just stop and cool down or some times throw water all over me.but generally late december it goes away and then come april it comes back if anyone has any other ways of getting past it let me know
|

replied July 25th, 2009
Far out i hate the human body
i suffer the same thing, i get itchy when i get hot or when i compete in physical activities, the itch is unbearably annoying. Though it only occurs in the colder months mainly when the weather is dry and your skin becomes dryer. my little brother also suffered the same symptoms as me, although after having showers with shampoo that doesnt contain soap and using johnsons baby moisturising cream it went away in a week and never returned. Hope this helps
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Not Alone
Omgosh I am so glad. I am not alone in this. My boyfriend and I kept trying to come to solutions to why my skin might be doing this. For the longest time I was thinking that maybe I was dehydrated and would drink so much water I was full all the time.
Whenever my skin temp rises the least bit my skin starts to itch like crazy like the first post by dancerguy.
The worst part is if I�m nervous about a work presentation my skin temp rises just a little- before I know my neck, torso and legs are red and blotchy. My skin gets hot, itchy , reed and blotchy. I do not however- get bumps or any kind of raised hives. This seems to be a distinguishing symptom of Uticaria - what most people are trying to label this.

Do this means I do not have Uticaria since I do not have any kind of bumps even though my skin irritation seems to be triggered by the same things?
|

replied December 29th, 2011
I had this recently, and praise The LORD- I've found a solution that works for me at least. And it's very cheap and simple.

I just started wearing long-sleeved shirts.

I guess I went along with the theory of it being winter time and my skin being dry and figured, hey, if I wear long-sleeves instead of t-shirts all the time it might keep my body heat/moisture in more. I started wearing them and the itching is almost entirely gone. I can sweat again without going through the itch pain!

Praise The LORD!

Hope this helps some of you!
|

replied May 3rd, 2013
I do not get rashes too
|