Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Can You Get Your Period While Pregnent?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Me and my girlfriend had sex at the begining of october and her period comes at the end of the month. So she got her period at the end of october not late or anything. The thing is she has been having chese pain wich I hear is a early sign of pregnancy. We only did it once at the begining of october and we used protection. Do you think she can be pregnant even if she had her period and is having chese pain?Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 11th, 2004
Experienced User
First of all, u should look for other signs. But if ur truly worried get a urine test (u can get them for around $1 at a dollar store). And they can show false negs sometimes so maybe a blood test from the doc. Its not extremely common, but yes u can have ur period while preg. I knew a girl once that it it for the first 2 months.
|

??
Its been a mounth sence we last did it she had her period and all she's had is chese pain isn't she suppose to show more simptoms if she is pregnant?Question
|

Experienced User
Not nec. Some women don't really have signs until 2-3 months along.
|

replied November 18th, 2004
Experienced User
I apologize, billy12, for being an idiot, but what is "chese" pain? The first thing that popped into my head is chest pain, which I have never heard of as being a symptom of pregnancy.

As for the whole periods in pregnancy thing...It's definitely not common, but it can happen in some cases. But there's noticeable differences in the flow...It could be a lot lighter than usual, or be more mucous than blood. Cramps may disappear. Granted I am not sure how a woman could have a full-blown period during pregnancy, seeing as the menstrual cycle is a shedding of the lining of the uterus, and if you shed that lining when an embryo has implanted in it, it's going to go "bye-bye" with the lining.

Consider this question (forgive me for being a bit rude and personal): is your girlfriend usually a light "bleeder"? If so, then a change in flow may be hard to notice. But if she bleeds moderately to heavily, then you'll definitely be able to tell what's going on.

Ask her if her period, though on time, was lighter, or if she noticed any changes in it.

A final thought...If she's experiencing any pelvic/ovarian pain out of nowhere, don't automatically assume pregnancy - it could be something like endometriosis or ovarian cysts.

Keep this in mind: some women may experience every symptom of pregnancy known to man and not be pregnant, and others may feel no changes and be pregnant.

As someone said, the only way to find out is a test. The urine tests are not always reliable, but blood tests are foolproof. You can either ask her doctor or try and find a family planning clinic in your area to do confidential blood tests for her.

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend, and I hope things work out in your favor.

Scaredbaka
|

replied December 19th, 2004
Experienced User
My friend is pregnant and still getting her period and I read that a woman was pregnant with twin and still had her period the whole time. She don't have any cramps when she gets it and it is pink and not the normal flow. It is also has a lot of discharge in it ( sorry if I grossed you out). Here is what the woman told me:
"yes I was 12 weeks pregnant with twins and still had my period and my mother was on her period the whole time she was pregnant with my little brother. So yes it is possible. "
|

replied December 30th, 2004
Ok...I dont understand..How can u get ur period when ur pregnant if ur egg is fertilized? It makes no sense..Like I had my period 2 weeks ago..It was normal..Really bad cramps and very very heavy..*like usual* but im having all the signs of pregnancy...Im sooo confused!!!
|

replied September 27th, 2008
idk
my frendsz say that my stomach got bigger nd rounder nd i been feeling mah stomach and yuh kno iitsz kinda hard buht i got my period 2dai so0 dooes that mean im not pregnant.????
|

replied January 26th, 2009
period while preganant
Scaredbaka, you make interesting points in your post however, a woman can have her period AND shed her lining (not the baby per se) while being pregnant. I know because it happened to me. My obstetrician explained that it's your body's way of cleaning out the uterus/womb in preparation of the 9 month occupancy of your baby. So yes, it can happen. By the way, did you get an answer on what "chese" is?..too funny..go figure!
|

replied May 3rd, 2011
was your period tha same color or pink cuz me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex 3 days ago and i got my period 2 days later and my period is heavy and its tha same it looks the same color as it always does and i have cramps but this time i feel like throwing up and my boyfriend busted in me about 4 timez ! So am i pregnant or what ?
|

replied May 6th, 2010
my boyfriend and i have been trying to have a baby for a month now i skipped my period for that whole month but i just got my period now! and also when my boyfriend cums in me this clear liquid comes out afterwards and it smells disgusting!!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2010
I don't know about the smell thing but I got my period for 3 mths after I found out I was preggo. It was liter w/no cramps and was not a shorter period more like 7 days. Get a HPT and try go from there. Good luck
|

replied May 3rd, 2011
can your period be the same color and can you have cramps but still be pregnant but this time when you get your period you feel like vomiting is it possible that im still pregnant ?
|

replied May 20th, 2011
ok well i found out on wednessday that im between 3 and 5 weeks pregnant but i woke up yesterday bleeding wich scared the hell out of me there is no pain or anything and thye bleeding comes and goes this is my 6th pregnancy and it has never happend with my first 5 i went to the doctors and he done a blood test and the hormone levels are at 50 wich is normal for how far along i am. how long will the bleed last for?
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Umm I had sex about 2-3 weeks ago and came on my period really bad cramps and felt like throwing up....can I be pregnant
|

replied May 17th, 2012
MarineWife551
Hi am 22 years old and my fiance and i have been having unprotected sex, last month i was 7 days late and my period lasted 3 days. this month i was 6 days and lasted 3 days i need help what's wrong
|

replied May 28th, 2012
am i pregnant?
verdel

hey i've been getting bad stomach pains past 1 week after m peroids along with mad migranes....m periodz also lasted 4 jus 4 days dis time.... m n my guy had sex abt 4 to 5 times this month... am i really pregnant??? Sad
|