Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

White Spots On Throat For 45+ Days

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hello and thanks for reading this... It may sound stupid but i've had white spots on the left side of my throat (sort of in a cavity) that keep going away (although never fully) then just come back to bigger white blobs (if you will.) this has been happening for over 45 days, first time I saw the doctor he didn't take any tests and prescribed me 10 days worth of amoxicillin. After completing the ten days and no improvement I decided to go back. He looked at it for two seconds and said oh thats food, well it's not. I told him and he took another look and did a throat culture for strep and some blood tests for mono. Both came back negitive (i had to call him the week after to find out.) it's about 3 weeks since then, not really sure what to do. Should I see another doctor? Should I go back to him since he knows what has happend thus far? Should I not worry about it? Anyone got any ideas on what the heck this could be? The weird thing is it doesn't seem to really hurt, sometimes it feels like sand paper and most of the time I can't really feel it (or i've gotton use to it) - any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper casspence
|

replied June 7th, 2008
White Spots On Throat
I have the same issue, but I'd say it's more of a growth back there. I pulled it out of my throat. Now I have a small hole where the white chunk once existed. Also, I can see more of the white substance still deep in the hole. whenever I talk to my Dr, they just say you must have got a chip or a taco rammed in there. First of all the piece that I pulled out of my throat is very compact and looks nothing like food debris, and I stopped eating chips, tacos and anything else that could pierce my throat. I still get these at what seems to be random... any ideas of what it is?
|

replied December 5th, 2011
Hello..have had this my whole life and now my son does. Google tonsil crypts...this will explain it. They are chunks of phlegm, bacteria, etc. And they harden and the tissue in your tonsils and throat is very soft and that's where it gathers. You might notice they give a bad taste as well. Best to push out gently with a q tip and then gargle with warm salt water. Not much you can do except to be sure to brush teeth at nice and gargle...using warm salt water helps too. My son gets it a lot and I do only occasionally ...but I am referring only to the chunky stuff and not just a spot.
|

replied June 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is you throat sore? If so, get it looked at. White spots could represent Strep Throat. Antibiotics are need for that.
|

replied June 9th, 2008
RE: White Spots On Throat
My throat is sore up until the point when I removed the growth. After that, everything seems normal... no soreness at all
|

replied July 29th, 2008
RE: White Spots On Throat
If we are talking about your throat - well that sounds serious. If we're talking about your TONSILS, I have had what you're describing in both of my tonsils since i was in grade school. My tonsils look completely ravaged and cratered. I used to get white chunks in there but now they're totally "dry". A pediatrician once told me it's just an unusual immune response. We asked if we should have them removed (my tonsils) and he said NO, that my tonsils were actually fighting infection and I should let them. Truly, it seems I've had far fewer cases of strep that my friends... These cavity things are WEIRD for sure, but they've never been a problem for me and are possible helping me fight off infection.

Hope this helps.
|

replied July 29th, 2008
What would we do without google?
Google "Tonsilloliths". I should have looked this up ages ago...
|

replied April 18th, 2009
White Spots on Throat
Look up "Tonsil Rocks". I know it sounds crazy but that's what they're called. I saw it on "The Doctors.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
its probably thrush, i have it too..
|

replied August 20th, 2009
White Spots in the Throat/Tonsils
It may not look like food, but it is! Decomposed by all the bacteria in your mouth. It gets trapped (microscopic pieces) in your Tonsils (if they are porous) and then the bacteria feed on it until you have an infection incubating in your warm throat. Try swabbing your throat with a little glycerin every now and then right after a gargle with warm salt water.
Now, if your glands/lymph nodes are swollen, get another doctor.
I hope this helps!
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
tonsil stones
I had this problem all of my life, and though I was prone to strep throat as a kid, I don't think that the white "stones" had much to do with the strep....I ended up having my tonsils removed at age 30+ - BIG MISTAKE! I think they were fighting off infection and though dealing with the smelly little "tonsil stones" was annoying, it wasn't nearly as annoying as now dealing with repeated sinus problems and infections and sinus headaches. I think the tonsils provided me protection against sinus issues and now that they are gone, I am very prone to sinus problems.
|

replied December 8th, 2009
I had those tonsil stones for years. It turns out I had Hyperparathyroidism. About five weeks after my surgery to remove the overactive parathyroid, all my tonsil stones popped out. After a couple of months my tonsils changed from red and swollen to pink and small. I still have crevices were the stones were, but I feel much better. I'm not saying everyone with tonsil stones has this condition, but I do believe they signify your body is out of balance or is fighting an infection.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Pretty sure I know what you have.
Hi everyone with this problem. I had it all the time when I was younger. It is called Cryptic Tonsilitis. You have small cavities in your tonsils and collect food in them. When I was little I used to take and q-tip and apply pressure at an angle next them and it would squeaze the stuff out (little soft white ball that was smelly). Eventually I got tired of dealing with it and went to the doctor and they told me it was Cryptic Tonsilitis and that I could if I wanted go ahead and have my tonsils removed. So I did. Wa-la no more problem.
|

replied July 5th, 2011
White patches on the tonsils/throat
I recently had a sore throat and figured it was just post nasal drip. Two days into it I worried about strep so I took a look and saw white patches. I made a doctor's appointment for the next day, but it seemed to be improving and not so sore the next day so I canceled the appt. I have had crevices in my tonsils for years and know about the tonsil balls, but this was different. I'm sure it was some type of infection.
|