Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Does Anyone Know What This Hip Pain Could Be?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi everyone. I thought that someone here might be able to help me or give advice. I'm at my wits end and am just being passed around from dr to Dr. I've have sharp hip pain that started about 4 months ago in my right hip. It then started in my left about a month later. I noticed at first it just felt tight. When it started in my left leg it felt like it just wouldn't stretch out all of the way when I was walking. After I sat down for a while, I would stand up and start walking and get a twinge in what felt like deep within the joint. I couldn't actually push on anything and make it worse. They've both gotten worse to the point that when I stand up I have to walk for a minute or so before they'll "stretch out" enough for the pain to go away. I'm basically always just having to limp it off. I've had chronic back pain for 9 years after an accident also. When I lay down or sit with weight on my right side, the thigh gets horrible pins and needles and then goes completely numb. I went to an orthopedic dr who did xrays and an mri of my hips sure that something would show up but nothing. He's referring me again to a physiatrist because he doesn't have a clue. I've gotten to the point know where my hips just constantly feel tight and painful a lot. I can't walk normally at all after I stand up. Physical therapy did nothing. The only way that the dr can make this pain occur manually is when i'm laying on my back with my knee bent up toward my chest and he pushes on my foot and I push back against his hand (if that makes any sense!). Sorry so long, I just really hope I can find someone with something similar or some advice! Thanks, danielle
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2005
:cry: danielle,

i know about this pain. It is debilitating. I have been suffering with it for about 8 months. I am the mother of 4 children ages 15- 22. I am 43 and my pain started in october of 2004. I have been diagnosed with hemolytic anemia and have been on prednison for 1 year. In sept. 2004 I rode a bike for 7 hours at work (outside security duty). 1 week later, I started having this terrible hip pain (top of my thigh & pelvic joint region). I was walking along and I wanted to scream when the pain hit. I was literally afraid to take another step. When I sit down with this pain, it hurts like hell when I get up and start walking again. I have to go slow to get the painful kinks out of my bones. I have flare ups of this pain from time to time. My job in security requires me to be on my feet about 80 % of the time and it is getting harder for me to do this. I have made an appt. To get my hips and thigh area x-rayed. I am at my wits end. This pain radiates from my thigh and pelvic region and when it hits, it hits hard. I am so tired of popping pills for pain management. Getting out of a car with this pain is also excruciating. I can sometimes walk it off but I have to be careful how I turn in some situations. I feel your pain and if you find relief for it, please share....Sandy
|

replied September 1st, 2010
Same Pain
I been having the same pain for about a year now. Sometimes I'll just put more weight on one side and this gripping, excruciating pain hits...you can hardly take a step until it subsides. It almost feels like ligaments are catching on something...that's the only way I can explain it because I don't know what else it could be. Sometimes I would swing out my leg to get out of the car and it would hit so bad...I don't do that anymore! But I'm ready to try and get some sort of MRI to see what in the world in going on in there!
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Hip Pain
Thank you - finally someone has described what I am feeling. I also have trouble getting out of the car and when I stand up I have to wait to start walking. Sometimes when I turn in bed at night the pain is just excruciating.
It feels like it's caught. I am also experiencing pain in my knees and my doctor just says its arthritis. Okay - so then what? I'm only 52. I do have about 40 lbs to lose - is there anyone thin that experiences this too?
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Hip pain may be due to a tear of the Acetabular Labrum. The Acetabular Labrum is a fibrocartilage ring, located in the socket (Acetabulum) of the hip joint. The Acetabular Labrum can become torn if there is a twisting movement while the hip joint is bearing weight, and this hip injury may occur during sports. The onset of hip pain is usually immediate. As with all hip joint problems, the pain may be diffuse and difficult to pinpoint. If the front of the hip joint is affected there may be a pinching sensation when the person flexes the hip by bringing the knee up to the chest. The pain may be reproduced in sport during activities that require weight bearing and twisting.

Treatment usually involves hip arthroscopy that can be performed on an outpatient basis. Although a general anaesthetic is used, a stay in hospital is not usually necessary. Following a short period on crutches, the patient follows a program of exercises under the supervision of a Chartered Physiotherapist. A return to sports is usually possible between two and three months after the operation.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
I have awful hip pain as well. I fell and injured my hip a couple of years ago. I have been thru pain management and physical therapy. The injury caused septic arthritis to get into my hip joint. I am going to have my hip replaced soon. I am trying to get healthier first. It is
debilitating. I had to quit working, I can not stand to drive anywhere as getting in and out creates more pain.
Maybe ask your doctor about maybe an infection in your joints?
I also had the cortizone injections. I had 5 of them, no relief at all. They do help some people from what I have read. Not to painful to get them either, they numb
the area first, and that just stings for a few seconds.
Lastly, physical therapy was more like physical torture!
Good luck with your Hip problems.
LOL just noticed this was first posted in 2004>
|

replied November 27th, 2011
I have had that same pain
i have had that same pain. it sux, it always hurts. I have found relief. It's called Inspirin. It's derived from Hemp seed and Marine Phytoplankton and constructed to give the body the perfect ratio of health. I took one of these Inspirin packets and felt the pain leave the body. I ordered 25 packets of Inspirin.
When i got them 3 days later in the mail I drank one. I literally felt the pain leave my body. Relief i havent felt in months. I could stretch, run, stand in one spot for a long period of time and hop on my dirtbike and go riding. I drink one a day and its been the good part of a month. I have had NO PAIN AT ALL!!!
|

replied May 17th, 2013
Help
I'm only 16 and I've had this pain for about a year not but only occasionally when I get up quickly or when I jerk my leg. I'm not overweight, haveno clue what to do
|