Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

How Long Before Announcing?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi everyone,

i took a pregnancy test yesterday and found out that i'm pregnant! :d we've been trying for only two months. And this is my first pregnancy.

I have an appointment with the doctor on friday. He will do another pregnancy test to make sure I am pregnant.

My question is, how long should I wait before announcing it to people? I hate keeping the news to myself and my boyfriend. That's all I think about.

Thanks!
Lexiee
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Is this your first ever pregnancy? I would wait a little while, I waited till I was 12 weeks just to be safe. They say chances of a misscarrage at that point drop dramatically.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I didn't wait. My girlfriend didn't wait and then had a miscarriage. Maybe, you can just tell close friends and family. She would totally break down when someone who didnt' know would ask about the baby. Too sad.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Totally a personal decision that I guess would be based on how your family and friends would react, if you want to put it off or if you know they will be happy and supportive.... Congratulations!!! Are you hoping for a boy or a girl... Or just a healthy happy baby?
|

Experienced User
I waited until my first actual appointment where they saw the heart beat. A normal heart beat (110-160) can indicate that you are less likely to have a miscarriage. They can usually detect the heart beat at 6-8 weeks. Good luck and congrats!
|

Experienced User
Thanks for all the info.

I guess i'll at least wait until my doctor's appointment on friday.

I would prefer waiting a little while before telling people, but I think in my case I can wait no longer than a month. I play a contact sport and i'll need to stop that as soon as possible. Once I stop playing people will ask why.

Thanks for your help Smile
|

Experienced User
I waited until three months before telling people that I was pregnant. Well my mom actually did the job because I did not get to tell anyone she was the one telling people which got me pretty upset at first because I wanted to at least tell people.
|

Experienced User
I would just tell you to wait until in your heart it feels right. I do agree with waiting till about 12 weeks just to make sure it's healthy and there isn't much chance of a miscarriage. But you can really tell people the day you find out if you would like it. Depends on how private of a person you are.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Tell the world!!!
|